Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Dell Inspiron Laptop

this thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 643 times

Old 06-03-2018, 05:42:17 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Dell Inspiron Laptop

i think that is where my problem started was after firefox insisted i do an update. after that i looked at the firefox files and they are a mile long, and some BIG ones to, not that i dont have room.

when i can im going to delete firefox i think, and re install it, but first, it needs to let me. every time try to delete/change file it freezes.

if it will delete im going to run on explorer for a while and see how it reacts, and proceed from there. thanks Ed.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2018, 02:09:49 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Download a copy of the Chrome web browser and see how that goes. My Firefox got pretty slow with the latest upgrade. Chrome beats it!
Run a few sessions, and check how many tracking cookies, location detectors and other spyware Chrome allows. I got 542 in 3 hours of just reading e mail and visiting stack.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 06:11:48 AM
Registered

I will offer a second vote for linux.
Any linux distribution > any windows version.

If you insist on Windows, a clean, streamlined, de-bloated install of 7 (as has been recommended) is your best option.

If you insist on persisting with your current install, use Windows' "add/remove" (if 8 still has it) to remove any and all programs you don't need, including Firefox since it's causing trouble.
Then find, download and run a program like CCleaner to get rid of all the stuff that Windows misses with it's "uninstall". - You will probably be safe deleting everything CCleaner finds, wether it was related to the programs or not.
Download a redistributable installer for firefox, or find a better/lighter browser.

Disable all StartUp programs, visual effects, and wankery. You can probably Google "How to make Windows run better than a sack of $hit" for more optimisations.
...All that hassle can be avoided with Step 1 though. Save the files you need to your 5.25" floppies and then copy them back once linux is installed.

---------- Post added at 10:09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by s100 View Post
. Many times that s/w may be modeled on Windows applications but ends up actually being better and more functional.
I think you'll find it's usually the inverse: Microsoft tries so hard not to copy open-source stuff (they've been sued for thieving code before) that they end up making inferior copies of other programs. (FOSS,Nix, mac, lotus, netscape, IBM...)

Of course writing software for windows is like trying to build a sandcaslte with gravel and a hammer, but that's another story.

---------- Post added at 10:11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09:42 PM ----------

Squidtrap, what you need is a patient lad under the age of 30!
Offer beer.
The Following User Says Thank You to mihit For This Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 05:58:13 AM
Subscriber

finally got back to this stupid computer, deleted firefox, and installed chrome.

it is running WAY faster, almost like new, but still wont troubleshoot ANYTHING, or check compatibility. also will not troubleshoot anything, always get error (problem preventing troubleshooter from starting) running windows 8.1

guess the only other option is to backup everything and scrub it back to original???
Old 06-20-2018, 11:48:47 AM
Registered-III

Our Dell laptops came with "re installation" DVDs. All the motherboard drivers for that specific model are on DVDs. Saves a lot of time & effort. COA is on back of DVD envelope.
If you are going to do a clean install, make sure whatever you save is not infested, so you don't infect your machine again.

I would do a low level format to make sure HD is clean. There have been discussions on this forum about this in past. Some people do not think drive can be truly cleaned (boot sector 0) and install a new hard drive, scrapping old one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 04:25:47 AM
Subscriber

when you buy a new computer now you dont get any (re-install discs) at least i have not w/ either my dell or hp. dell is about 6 YO and hp is new. they want you to make them from the start.

w/the dell i called them and insisted they send them and they sent a thumb drive, so i at least have that.

after many searches this seams to be fairly common, and i have not found anything that will fix it. going to try the new HP and see what it does.

Power- thats my concern, if i do a clean install will my problem be fixed?? right now all is good, running great on chrome, firefox deleted. so at this point really dont need troubleshooter. might just leave it for a while, who knows.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:16:37 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
. Some people do not think drive can be truly cleaned (boot sector 0) and install a new hard drive, scrapping old one.
"Some people" are misguided about the physics of persistent data storage on magnetic platters.
Windows may not offer the tools to do it, but a drive can absolutely be zero'd from byte 0. Modern drives will have no residual magnetism that could be recovered, even forensically.

For historical reasons the MBR ("boot sector") is 512mb at the beginning of the drive. Also, absolutely able to be zero'd.
(Or, more securely, written with random data for 7 passes.)

---------- Post added at 09:47:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidtrap View Post
if i do a clean install will my problem be fixed?? right now all is good, running great on chrome, firefox deleted. so at this point really dont need troubleshooter. might just leave it for a while, who knows.
"if it ain't broke..."

(though "some argue" that windows is broken from the ouset, and trying to fix it is like bailing out your dinghy with a collander)

If you can be bothered reading it: https://itvision.altervista.org/why-...-10-sucks.html
But I'm sure you could find equally scathing reviews of pretty much anything. Windows deserves it, though.

---------- Post added at 10:16:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47:18 PM ----------

I think this is quite good
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mihit For This Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 07:12:30 AM
Subscriber

mihit- started reading and it basically sums windows up. Love the pics, think im going to just leave it alone for now.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:12:54 PM
Registered-III

As posted previously, I was a Microsoft certified re builder, so know how to completely wipe a drive. We bought 2 machines whose only purpose was to quickly wipe drives to DOD standards, including track 0.

We have had this discussion before, and some people on this forum believe drive cannot be completely sanitized, so destroy old one and install new one.

---------- Post added at 12:05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03:17 PM ----------

Quote:
mihit- started reading and it basically sums windows up. Love the pics, think im going to just leave it alone for now.
I agree.
I would run a couple of good cleaners. CCleaner, superantispyware, IObit malware fighter are my favorites.

---------- Post added at 12:12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05:05 PM ----------

Quote:
when you buy a new computer now you dont get any (re-install discs) at least i have not w/ either my dell or hp. dell is about 6 YO and hp is new. they want you to make them from the start.
Yup. Wife got a new Lenovo. No DVD's. However, a few years ago, they were included. HD has a restore partition. I could have them mail me DVD's, but instead decided to make a set of restore discs. I did it right out of the box, before it ever saw the Internet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 07:52:34 PM
Subscriber

Power- already ran CCleaner,will try the other ones you recommend also. No firefox,only chrome and its running like new, just wont do the stuff mentioned, but that is not a big deal as long as it runs, Ed.