Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Not Engines, Just Australia's New Self

this thread has 104 replies and has been viewed 5514 times

Old 03-30-2018, 04:06:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,533 Times in 844 Posts
Default Re: Not Engines, just Australia's New Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightgo View Post
Who remembers when they bought a house @ 17% interest & thought that was a good deal,allso buying a truck @ low 20% was allso a great deal? But of coarse we worked 16 hours a day and sometimes 7 days a week to achieve it.
And that is why I paid cash for 40 acres and lived in a shed house. Interest rates. I'm pretty sure it was higher at the time. You needed 20% as a deposit so I thought....bugger it. A shed house will do me.
I had a full time job and rewired houses on most week-ends and RDO's. Seeing we knocked off work at 3:45 or 4:15 depending which shift at my real job, I went and did real-estate maintenance after work. A couple a day to fill in the time before tea.
The ute was a WB 1 tonner I brought off a bankrupt carpet shop. It had a blown engine and a kiddy pool for a roof thanks to the carpet just chucked on the back. I rebuilt and painted it in my spare time. Still have it.

Cheers Scott
PS: Gotta agree with Darryl. We can't feed or house or find jobs for what's here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2018, 05:53:10 PM
Registered-I

Funny how hippies and greenies and young people get the bad rap on this subject every time it comes up, when all the hippies i know dont buy stuff from supermarkets, the greenies dont buy from cheap import shops, and the young people are just working with the hand they were dealt.
The greedy corporate businessman, and the corrupt member of (whichever) government is the issue here.
Profit for the shareholders is more important than anything else.
And of course the import of anything with a pulse... including our parents, wives, grandparents....
Old 04-01-2018, 04:08:26 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyarmourer View Post
The greedy corporate businessman, and the corrupt member of (whichever) government is the issue here.
Profit for the shareholders is more important than anything else.
Hello Mr Woody
I have to agree to a degree. Big business are making a motza from battlers.
Fix the banking industry, essentials (like water, electricity, rates) and fuel (petrol, diesel and gas) industry and a lot more people would be able to afford their own homes earlier. Those that have a home already would be able to pay them off a lot quicker and put the extra into their super when their home is paid off.
The fuel industry is a joke. How can an overnight price rise of 31c per litre be justified? In Brisbane I fueled up for $1.17 a week before Easter, It's now $1.48.
How can $1.30 for home gas be justified when we sell it to everyone else in the world for didly squat?
Don't get me started on the electricity industry. A great utility destroyed by profiteers and cash strapped Governments.

How much tax did Coke pay here last year? What a joke.

Cheers Scott
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 04-01-2018, 05:28:48 AM
Registered-I

Yep.
And the media industry tell us to blame other battlers because it is in their best interest to keep us pissed off and not seeing straight.
Big money in diversions
Old 04-01-2018, 06:24:30 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Yep.
And the media industry tell us to blame other battlers
Some of the 'battlers' deserve to be where they are. They only care about the present and now. No thought what-so-ever about buying a house when they sign up for their new $200 per month phone plan, sign up for 2 years interest free on their 200 inch TV or when they buy their coffee in the morning, smoko, dinner and tea.
It really sucks to think that some people (with growing families) go to work everyday to do any job they can find, scrimp and save the best they can, would be better off on the dole.

Cheers Scott
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 04-02-2018, 06:08:17 AM
Registered-I

Bludgers are victims too.
Too stupid to make it as a worker, too stupid to have a hobby besides staring at a tv, too stupid to realise that getting stuck in the cycle of debt through no deposit loans is leading them and their offspring to a life of consumerism and squalour.
I pity them, and they will never be what i see as "the problem"
They are yet more pawns in this disgusting system of greed and corruption.
No one is better off on the dole.

Last edited by woodyarmourer; 04-02-2018 at 06:47:39 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:39:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,622 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
the media industry tell us to blame other battlers because it is in their best interest to keep us pissed off and not seeing straight.
Big money in diversions
...I imagine that sort of thing might become very costly for big business in some places,but it would have to be considered unnecessary spending here in OZ?
Daniel Andrews was recently found to have stolen $450000 from the Australian taxpayer,which he then used to spend on trying to get himself elected.So far nobody has raised so much as a peep about it!?Next thing we see,a bloke gives a ball a rub with a little bit of sandpaper,and he instantly becomes the most hated person in the country!?
It appears generally speaking,that the 'battler' is offering 'staying pissed off' and 'not seeing straight' as a free service?
Old 04-02-2018, 11:28:56 AM
Registered-II

Maybe time for you to join the new trade wars, haha. Can't wait to see how this current row with china will work out. Probably mostly hot air, probably everyone will back down (except the Chinese) when the big boys' profits start to fall.

My view of Australian economy is limited and out of date, but when I was there I noticed a few things that may have contributed:

a. Some products (both imported and local) were quite expensive and the quality was not that great compared to what I was used to.

b. I met able bodied people who were my age at the time (late 20's) that were able to play pool, sip beer in pubs, and live in decent basic housing on "the dole", as they said. I even tried to help one guy get a to a job on a farm I was working at outside Adelaide, but he quit, because he said would loose his housing if he showed up regularly for a job. Maybe he was lying and just lazy, I don't know.

c. There were some barriers in the job market I had never heard of, like guilds. I checked out doing shop work I knew how to do at one place, the owner told me he could not let me work if not member of "panel beater's guild". Again, maybe he just did not want to hire me.

Anyway, its snowing here, so am at the 'puter wasting time. (back to work you slug, I says to myself).

You still have a great country, but like us yanks, changes that have been going on are not in your favor.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:49:58 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
It appears generally speaking,that the 'battler' is offering 'staying pissed off' and 'not seeing straight' as a free service?
Look at who owns the major papers and networks and where their interests lie, it is in selling papers, and distracting the public from real issues.
The aussie cricket fiasco is non news, but plaster it over the "news" and people, battlers and bludgers alike, will spew their vitriol exactly where rupert needs it spewed
Old 04-02-2018, 06:16:42 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
No one is better off on the dole.
You better do some research. Factor in 3, 4 or 5 kids. Add in all the 'benefits' like free child care, petrol money, subsidised housing, subsidised medical and the rest of the benefits people on welfare receive.
It also costs a lot of money to simply have to a job in many cities. Just the other day I had to go on a journey of about 30kms at about 8.30 am in Brisbane. 30 kms and an hour and a 1/4 later I was where I had to go. So many people do this every day to simply go to work. Everywhere seems to take an hour or longer to get to anywhere in Brisbane. Imagine the money saved if the forklift driver or cleaner didn't have to do that everyday?
So do the sums. For a worker, take away all the costs involved in having that job ie travel etc etc, and for dole bludgers factor in all the benefits and not just think about the dole payment they get into their bank account every fortnight. Who's better off?

Quote:
Bludgers are victims too.
Yes. Victims of their own making a lot of the time.

No-one makes people sign up for no deposit loans or make people buy TV's. They do it on their own bat. It is simply too easy to get money to spend.
Quote:
Too stupid to make it as a worker, too stupid to have a hobby besides staring at a tv, too stupid to realise that getting stuck in the cycle of debt through no deposit loans is leading them and their offspring to a life of consumerism and squalour..
Is it stupid or lazy or it's just easier to be on welfare for some? I can appreciate not everyone is a rocket scientist but you don't have to have much brains to do a lot of jobs. Not much intellect is needed to clean toilets or sweep floors or.......
What's directing 'stupid' is the fact that some people are not made to get off their lazy backsides and do something. Welfare is easier, pays quite well and they can do what they want with their days generally speaking.
We're importing people to do the work many of our own citizens refuse to do. Make the lazy buggers do a job.....any job. Need someone to trim the edges in The Botanical Gardens? Give a set of scissors to a heap of dole bludgers and tell them they have to finish before anymore money is paid to them. Work for the dole is a joke.
Here's your job. If you don't like it, better yourself to get a better job should the motto at Centrelink.
If these people are so stupid, why is they kick up a huge stink when it's suggested that welfare is paid to a card and they can only spend so much on this and that, the rest is spent of rent, food and utility bills? "It's our money, we can spend it on what we want" is the war chant....pigs ding it's your money. It's my money and I should have the right to say where it's spent....not you. If you want the right to have money to spend how you seem fit......get a job.

Is that a result of big business?

Cheers Scott

Last edited by Scotty 2; 04-02-2018 at 06:47:19 PM.