Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Not Engines, Just Australia's New Self

this thread has 104 replies and has been viewed 5806 times

Old 04-02-2018, 08:54:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,645 Times in 794 Posts
Default Re: Not Engines, just Australia's New Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by dependable View Post
Maybe time for you to join the new trade wars, haha. Can't wait to see how this current row with china will work out. Probably mostly hot air, probably everyone will back down (except the Chinese) when the big boys' profits start to fall.

My view of Australian economy is limited and out of date, but when I was there I noticed a few things that may have contributed:

a. Some products (both imported and local) were quite expensive and the quality was not that great compared to what I was used to.

b. I met able bodied people who were my age at the time (late 20's) that were able to play pool, sip beer in pubs, and live in decent basic housing on "the dole", as they said. I even tried to help one guy get a to a job on a farm I was working at outside Adelaide, but he quit, because he said would loose his housing if he showed up regularly for a job. Maybe he was lying and just lazy, I don't know.

c. There were some barriers in the job market I had never heard of, like guilds. I checked out doing shop work I knew how to do at one place, the owner told me he could not let me work if not member of "panel beater's guild". Again, maybe he just did not want to hire me.

Anyway, its snowing here, so am at the 'puter wasting time. (back to work you slug, I says to myself).

You still have a great country, but like us yanks, changes that have been going on are not in your favor.
An interesting insight into prospects for 'adjustment' for the chins in event of a downturn Dependable!?I couldn't agree more!Seems like you may have had some contact there?
b. was real,..he was being straight with you most likely.
c. unions yes,depending on the industry,but I personally don't know of any guilds that might prohibit employment over non membership?I'd say the guy wanted an 'out'?
Keep all the snow you want,..don't want any here thanks!And go easy on the 7.4!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2018, 09:28:41 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
Seems like you may have had some contact there?

Keep all the snow you want,..don't want any here thanks!And go easy on the 7.4!
No contact there, or anywhere else for that matter, but I do try to keep up with what is going on outside my small world.

On the 7.4, it was 7AM or so, my time zone, when I wrote the last post, I try not to hit it until after 5 PM, or when all my work crew and trucks are in, whichever is later. I've had a few now though, and it is time to turn in. Goodday to you all waking up soon.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:39:21 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,132 Times in 778 Posts

Get rid of the unions, penalty rates, get rid of centerlink, pay people what there worth and get government regulations out of manufacturing and much would be solved.......

Last edited by typak; 04-04-2018 at 07:06:56 AM. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to typak For This Post:
Old 04-04-2018, 06:42:02 AM
Subscriber

Demonstration of the proper work ethic .........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noDf6bmZw5w
Old 04-04-2018, 04:48:17 PM
Subscriber

Yes, but not so great safety and working conditions though?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:30:36 PM
Subscriber

Well AussieIrion try to get a forged steel billet in Australia now or small run foundry products of any description, virtually impossible as the industry has been decimated by government regulation, work safe, the EPA, penalty rates, company taxes, payroll tax, and all the rest the BS. Remember when one truck would turn up to replace a power pole, one truck with a winch on the front, 3 men, a A frame, a ladder and the pole roped on the back of the truck, now the same job 30 men, 10 trucks all with signs on the back exalting the virtues of the union, what a disgrace the Australian workforce has become, can't even get a widget made in Australia now let alone someone with the necessary intelligence to manufacture anything for that matter.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:04:54 PM
Subscriber

Not talking about that, just your video you posted as an example? By the way I agree !00% with your sentiment, but if we have to have absolutely no safety in our workplace, that's no good either. I have welded for 40+ years in a factory, and have seen it getting choked with OH+s and other regulations. But that can't be compared to the conditions those blokes in the video have, if that's what we need to do to compete can it?

Last edited by AussieIron; 04-04-2018 at 11:15:28 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-05-2018, 05:14:42 AM
Subscriber

Don't know AussieIron, the steel hammering in the video looks fairly strait forward to me and the place isn't that different to places that operated in Sydney not that long ago, only real difference that air hammers were used and safety glasses were used if you could find them, rather work like that and preserve real engineering skills than what passes as engineering jobs nowadays, not that long ago in the past in this country small engineering shops were building engines and all manner of other equipment, the manufacturing base here is now less than it was in the great depression, food for thought for the believers of the Chinese 'miracle' of cheap inferior goods that have ruined local industry, that said with the added combination of the modern work culture of what I mentioned in my previous post.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:41:15 AM
Registered-II

Yes well when I look around my town I can count six separate government funded agency's that are there for our aboriginal people and that not counting the separate health service then of course there is Center link . No such service for our young and old people who may be homeless and unemployed. I fully agree with the writings of Andrew Bolt.
Manufacturing ,that's a joke ,we dont even make gutter bolts!
Old 04-05-2018, 06:21:16 AM
Registered-II

We're over complicating the whole subject !

There are a vast majority of Australians who are honest, proud and are hard workers.

There are others who fall on hard times, or mentally or phisically un able to work or support themselves and deserve to be supported.

And , without sugar coating it as a previous poster has done, there are absolute bludging scumbags who's parents taught them to be that way. They continuously scam the system and actually think its there right to do so. They also deal drugs,steal people hard earned posesions and are generally worthless oxygen theives .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darryl For This Post: