Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

John Danks and Son Ltd Pump Flywheel

this thread has 102 replies and has been viewed 5132 times

Old 04-28-2018, 09:12:53 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,622 Times in 777 Posts
Default Re: John Danks and Son Ltd Pump Flywheel

That's a good'n Nathan thank you! That boxy style frame is hinted at in the first couple of ad clips added by Kim in the post above yours.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2018, 06:07:45 PM
Registered-II

Sorry Paul, i couldn't get photos of the pump at Rochester. I'll work something out and i will get them for you.
Cheers .
The Following User Says Thank You to Darryl For This Post:
Old 04-29-2018, 03:07:41 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,954 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
do you know the height and depth of the #4 frame.I am hoping to rough out a clone frame so that I can enjoy my wheel?

Hi Paul,

I think you would need more than the height and the depth to clone a frame. I am a little confused, is that the same wheel that you have on gumtree for sale?

I think the first step would be to work out what your wheel came off.

Do you have the bore size, I will then compare it to the shaft sizes I have here. The shafts are different sizes. What diameter is the wheel?

I have attached more Danks items in the photo attached. One is a gas valve, the other is a hydrant valve and also the remains of a pump, around 3 inch bore.

Regards,
Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 (9).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	309357  
Old 04-29-2018, 10:58:40 AM
Subscriber

Yes Wayne,the wheel was listed on gumtree before it was mentioned here.I only have the one.
Time will tell if I am able to keep this find,along with others that I would normally consider it to be unthinkable to be offering for sale.
I see that part has confused readers here,understandably.

The key words in my previous post to take notice of were "rough out" a clone frame.Sorry for any misunderstanding there.It's my intention to enjoy this excellent find for as long as I have opportunity to play with it.For the purpose of an effigy that I'm hoping to cobble together just rough sizes will help me to decide which way I will go.I don't plan to aim for accurate sizes apart from trying to get a reasonable size match for wheel and frame.
Yes I would like to know what it's off if you are willing to spend the time verifying for me?That would be a bonus.
The shaft size is 1 1/2",wheel diameter is 44 1/4"
Old 05-03-2018, 03:44:53 AM
Subscriber

The angle grinder needed to come out today on a small job so I made it the 9" grinder instead.A few chunks of steel had been pulled into a pile for future reference.
It's awfully difficult at times to find a few minutes to make a few cuts and welds.
Today's play was stopped by rain unfortunately.It doesn't seem to matter how the year is unfolding the local May Race Carnival will bring rain.Its been exceptionally dry now for many weeks.This year it took until Cup Day to drop some rain.I was happy with my 9" curve cutting effort,done with a new disc,but because of the moisture I called it a day.The pump isn't a Danks but is likely to be getting back into the right era?For what I am attempting to do im really not fussed about originality.I just want it to look the part.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	309679  
Old 05-03-2018, 05:07:10 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,954 Times in 543 Posts

Hi Paul,

I have checked your wheel measurements against the shaft sizes. The No 4 is bigger and the No 2 is smaller. So if its off a vertical type I would assume its off a No 3.

The photo that Hugh posted I believe is a No 3, a quick search on the web will find the other pump that Hugh mentions, as Hugh said both pumps do look the same.

Going by your measurements and where the handle is, it would be very uncomfortable if it was on a horizontal model. You would have to be on your knees to crank it.

Regards,
Wayne
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Timms For This Post:
Old 05-03-2018, 09:13:44 AM
Subscriber

Thanks for that Wayne,it's nice to have a better idea of what unit it was likely to have originally been fitted to.
Do you know the distance that the handle is located out from the crankshaft on the table mounted units?Perhaps I could compare that measurement on my wheel and that would clear up the question of any differences there?
I am likely to be through Rochester in a week or two?If I do manage to travel that way I hope to get the chance to take a few measurements and photographs first hand?

Last edited by Paul Richardson; 05-03-2018 at 10:45:56 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:00:17 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
I thought that might happen!And I actually already guessed where the suggestion might come from! EVERYTHING here is on gumtree,..back to the pump!
As a side fact, I remember reading that John Danks & Son got out of manufacturing in 1950's. They eventually started the hardware chain Home Hardware. Not sure if they still own it though.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:45:14 AM
Subscriber

Hi Mark,i haven't followed through too much of the existing company history into more recent times,but accidently discovered the DASPYL connection to this company.Something I didn't previously know,but fairly obvious when it's spelt out,..DASPYL if I have it right is Danks And Son PYL?
I have an old Bruce & McClure petrol kero engine which has a DASPYL stamp on each of the wick oilers and check valves.The engine is early enough not to have any engine number or name plate included in the original build.This might have the engine manufacture date very close to the start date for the use of the DASPYL anacronym,said to be around 1905?
Old 05-12-2018, 10:04:04 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,074 Times in 764 Posts

Probably not a Danks, although could be ? pic from the 1890's.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dp.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	310287  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to typak For This Post: