Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

**ouch**

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 999 times

Old 10-16-2019, 07:05:58 AM
Subscriber

Default **ouch**

About 5 minutes into the video disaster happens. This guy is really lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter Holmander For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2019, 07:21:23 AM
Registered

Default Re: **ouch**

Dang, saw that a dew years ago. Glad he was not Hurt!
Old 10-16-2019, 12:46:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,298 Times in 675 Posts

He's lucky it didn't come down on top of his feet or head. What broke? Something holding the hoist up? I only saw pieces falling, phone screen too small to identity what failed.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:53:24 PM
Registered

This is why i have annual crane/hoist inspections We have five hoists in the shop
Old 10-16-2019, 01:03:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,972 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
what failed.
cable failed, I am not sure how he had it rigged two hoist? That is a really bad day but thankfully only his pride and machinery was hurt!
Old 10-16-2019, 01:20:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,011 Times in 2,006 Posts

I saw that a few years ago too. He said the cable (wire rope) had a nylon core which retained moisture and rusted it from the inside out with no outwardly visible signs. Scary! I would imagine that the core was supposed to retain oil.

A real shame about the machine. Concrete is easy enough to replace, so no big loss there, and of course as he points out, one never goes under the supported load for just this reason.

Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 04:03:58 PM
Registered

He also said "I knew I probably should have replaced that cable but didn't do it". He has no one to blame except himself and he knows it.
The Following User Says Thank You to M.Canute For This Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 09:48:21 PM
eMail NOT Working

This also illustrates why hand-operated hoists and trolleys are not welcome in shops much anymore- they REQUIRE the operator to be intimately close to ground-zero in the event of a dropped load.

This would have been a very, very, very gory video if he'd been standing on the ground, and it chose to hop over onto it's side... thank God that it stayed upright.

Painted onto the jib boom of an 8-ton rigger's forklift at a shop a friend USED to work at:

"Gravity is a heartless mistress"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dkamp For This Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 11:46:55 PM
Registered

you do the best you can to stay safe, sometimes shit bites you, we all have had close calls or worse and better learn from them....
The Following User Says Thank You to ulgydog56 For This Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 10:19:23 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,718 Times in 1,728 Posts

Damn that gave me the chills what i have learned from my close calls in my life is that when we work around things day in and day out we tend to loose the fear of what could possible happen we will live longer if we always keep the thoughts in mind this or that could hurt or kill i am scared to death of chains and cables and hoist but when i use things of that nature i try to keep in mind what could happen last time i got busted up was with a 1/2 inch steel cable on a bull dozer i was pulling over an old oil rig had the cable fast to the rig 70 feet in air and it was fasted to the snatch block up the hill on a big maple tree the dozer went out past me cable was tight the rig was pulling over we all were behind the cable in safe zone no one knew that another tree was holding the cable down the hill and when it got so much pressure the little tree lopped over and all i saw was a flash i got my left arm up and the cable reflect down and hit me in my chest and pick my body up and threw me 15 feet threw the air and to this day i have never got fully recovered from that accident so folks always keep in mind what could happen if?If i had not got my left arm up Doctor said it would of killed me for sure took my head off so i am thankful Good lord spared me that day September 1992
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Onan Dan For This Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 08:32:56 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,768 Times in 7,538 Posts

We occasionally get the heavy wrecker shows like Highway Through Hell, and Heavy Rescue 401. They are good shows but I cringe when they have those chains and cables at full tension! I have seen what they can do if they fail. Not good!
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 11:21:26 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,372 Times in 1,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
We occasionally get the heavy wrecker shows like Highway Through Hell, and Heavy Rescue 401. They are good shows but I cringe when they have those chains and cables at full tension! I have seen what they can do if they fail. Not good!
For small stuff, like pulling out a car or SUV, throwing blanket or jackets on cable or chain minimize whip if it fails.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 11:40:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,972 Times in 1,088 Posts

talking about wreckers and things happining here is one that happened to me years ago. guy orders a load of stone because his driveway washed out, single axel dump with 10 ton of stone on. I get there and the road is almost as wide as the dumptruck then off straight down maybe 100 ft to a creek. I got there looked things over had to go thru the creek and asked the man if the ground was good and solid where he wanted the stone. he assured me it was so i proceeded, as soon as i got where he wanted the stone spread with the bed already started up I tripped the tailgate and made it about 10 ft in and there was plastic pipe flying up hitting the sides of the truck! I quickly realized this wasnt gonna work and still had gravel coming out the tailgate! I got the truck in reverse and got the bed started back down and managed not to get blocked in by a pile of stone behind me! all looks goood right? nope this party was just getting started! I was going to have to back all the way out, that wasnt a problem until i was backing thru the creek, the truck slipped off of a slick creek rock and i was stuck! called in and they sent our wrecker out, we get the dump out of the creek no problems, nothing tore up or broken Great!! then i noticed the bank was giving away under the wrecker!! we had to winch the whole wrecker sideways up the hill! he got out fine, but i was heavier than him and had to back past that same spot! we got both out undamaged but it was one hell of a day!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tracy T For This Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 10:31:01 PM
Registered

I've been subscribed to Brian Block's channel for several years now and watched when he first posted that "worst shop day" video. Could have been tragic but the Big Guy was watching over him that day. He did repair that big Carlton radial drill (*lots* of welding) and it's in running condition now.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:49:04 PM
Registered

If anyone is interested in how he fixes the drill, here are some links:

https://youtu.be/E5v-_oQmps8

https://youtu.be/NyTr67ZZRxU

https://youtu.be/v4EXhStk4Go

https://youtu.be/SNvgpwh_1bM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcmlvii For This Post: