Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Odd Problem, Windows 6.1.7601

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1510 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2017, 06:47:14 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts
Default Odd Problem, Windows 6.1.7601

This has happened three times so far, about three weeks apart.

I come in to check mail, Smokstak, etc. in the morning and go to email (Thunderbird). No internet connection. Reset DSL modem. No change.

Go to browser (Firefox). Again no internet connection.

Close and re-open both. No change.

Now, it gets weird. Try to shut down Windoze. Nothing happens for several minutes, then desktop disappears and screen goes blank. After that, nothing happens for at least an hour (when I give-up). Cursor is still working and moving. Hard drive occasionally blips during this time but it is probably firmware housekeeping.

Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't do anything. Hard reset doesn't do anything. The only thing that works is to turn the power off and back on. Comes back with the Safe Mode prompt then boots normally and works fine until the next incident.

I am running regular Malware Bytes and Avast scans and they turn up nothing. I am careful to never open attachments from unknown users or attachments from any odd emails.

Since I cannot get into Windows Explorer at these times, I can't see if any oddball Applications or Processes are running.

What's going on here? Does anyone know?