Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

this thread has 3788 replies and has been viewed 255411 times

Old 04-25-2015, 10:40:52 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: What have you done to your Onan generator today?

Leon, another method of determining TDC is to watch your #2 cylinder rocker arms. When the exhaust just closes and the intake just opens, in the middle of these two events is TDC for #1. From here you can then look at your timing marks on the flywheel and a pointer should line up with a TDC mark.
The Following User Says Thank You to suntreemcanic For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2015, 04:13:14 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,280 Posts

Well I got the JB back together and running. Replaced points and condenser with the original ones, which were hardly used compared to what I just removed. As for the condenser, I compared ohm meter readings and noticed the one I just removed after some 44 years showed higher leakage than the original one even though it is just as old but little used. I can say with amazement there is no sparking at all now at the points! Once in a while I might see a just one little flash but that is it. I set time timing at 5 BTC stopped. Installed new plugs gapped to 0.025 inch Set the points to 0.020 inch.

There seems to be an excessive amount of hunting with load changes before it settles down. The backfiring through the carburetor has pretty much gone away best I can tell. I am convinced these machines are not perfect, but very rugged and can take lots of abuse. I am not happy with the hunting situation. There are so many things that can cause this condition.

However, what bothers me is that even with a steady state resistive old of about 4 KW, the throttle does move back and forth very slightly. I do not see this condition at NL.

What I do see at NL is that every once in a while, the JB will start hunting for about 3 seconds and then settle right down with no hunting. Then this repeats randomly every few minutes or so. I need to find out what is causing this?

So I left the 4 kW load on for 15 minutes and let it fully warm up. Then it seemed to vexhibit less hunting as I described. This thing can drive a guy crazy. If it keeps up, I am going to remove the centrifugal advance assembly and see if I can detect a problem there. That's enough for today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 04:50:40 PM
Subscriber

Leon
Shouldn't the timing be 5 deg ATC stopped?
Ray

Nope my mistake 5 deg btc is correct

Last edited by Ray Lynch; 04-26-2015 at 07:00:45 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:16:29 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,573 Times in 4,046 Posts

Hunting can be caused by play/slop in the throttle linkage. I had a 5 hp rototiller engine that hunted badly till I read that Onan uses a weak spring to apply a preload to the linkage so there is no "slop" from loose fit between holes and rod. I found and hooked up spring , all hunting disappeared.

Maybe grease in gov is old and hardened up ??

When my 10hp gasoline tecumsa snowblower engine hunted I richened out the carb mix and hunting went away. Maybe your mix is too lean ? No experience with nat gas, seems it would behave same though.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:02:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon N. View Post
...What I do see at NL is that every once in a while, the JB will start hunting for about 3 seconds and then settle right down with no hunting. Then this repeats randomly every few minutes or so. I need to find out what is causing this?....
I described similar problem in post #74 here:
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...=144397&page=4

Since then, I replaced the governor spring and it made no difference. The only fix has been to shorten the governor rod linkage length. I'm pretty sure this indicates some wear in the governor cup, and shortening the rod causes the flyballs to stay out of the worn area. Just a theory, but I'm sticking with it for now...

(I already have the governor sensitivity adjustment set about as low as it goes, I assume you do too, Leon. If not, start there...)

Anyway, it's a super easy experiment. Pop your governor linkage rod off and shorten it up (mine are fitted with turnbuckles) by maybe 1/8" (its a 32 TPI screw thread - so, 4 turns on the turnbuckle.

Also, on my JB, I've just added an idle mixture screw. Opening it a tad helps stabilize the NL speed I'm finding...

Lastly, do you have a throttle stop screw? I set mine pretty high, so with the throttle plate manually pushed closed, the set is running at about 50 Hz - no need to allow it go any slower, and it might be helpful in eliminating some wild instances of instability...

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by len k View Post
Maybe grease in gov is old and hardened up ??
Grease? What grease? The governor linkage should not be greased, and the flyball mechanism itself is lubed with engine oil...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 07:20:45 PM
Registered-III

I don't know JB/JC, just a guess that it was greased.

Spring I was talking about preload 2 lever arms against rod that connects them, so clearance between hole and rod is held closed to one side of hole , always.

Last edited by len k; 04-26-2015 at 08:51:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:21:48 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,280 Posts

The J-Line engines utilize a flyball governor design. Re Jim's comment; "--- shortening the rod causes the flyballs to stay out of the worn area---". I don't think that will work.

Got to think about this a bit more and re reading the governor section in 967-500 leads me to conclude that changing the throttle rod linkage length will only change the amount of movement permitted by the governor arm. If not careful, changing the length of the governor arm may result in the throttle not fully opening and thus limiting the machines response to maintaining RPM as the load increases.

The flyball governor operating race position depends upon RPM and RPM only. The only way one can change what part of the flyball race is used is by changing the RPM. Changing the linkage length will not do it. That is why back sometime ago I increased the NL RPM to 61.5Hz to get away from an apparent hunting condition at what was a small load of 1500 watts while set at 60Hz. That indeed reduced but gig not eliminate the problem entirely. I recall having a difficult time setting up the governor way back when. Something else is causing the new hunting condition I am experiencing.

Onan suggests on page 25 that: "If the governor is either too sensitive or not sensitive enough and can't be adjusted with the stud or ratchet, the sensitivity can be coarsely adjusted by changing spring attachment on the governor arm".

So before I try any of this, I will inspect the linkage for looseness as suggested.

I use a very light synthetic oil and have no reason to think the flyball governor is gummed up.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:57:35 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
The flyball governor operating race position depends upon RPM and RPM only. The only way one can change what part of the flyball race is used is by changing the RPM.
I suspect it also depends on the spring's force pushing back on the lever that the balls push on.

I'm only guessing at how the gov is designed, suspect centrifugal force pushed the balls up an inclined cone and a spring loaded lever pushes them back.

Changing the spring rate or spring preload force should change the operating position of the balls in the raceway cone. I 've heard it said here that the cone develops a wear path eventually. Might have to compensate for this change in the linkage so rpm set point and sensitivity remain about the same.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:00:18 PM
Registered-III

Leon,
If you change the length of the rod, it should change the position of the flyballs. For example, if the engine needs 1/4 throttle to hold a certain load at 1800 rpm, when you shorten the rod, the governor will still need to keep the 1/4 throttle setting to maintain 1800 rpm with the same load. This would require the governor arm to be at a different position. If the arm is in a different position, the governor cup will have to be in a different position. If you shorten the rod, you will probably have to do some fine tuning on the governor adjustments.

David C.
The Following User Says Thank You to David C For This Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 09:08:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,251 Posts

Quote:
...The flyball governor operating race position depends upon RPM and RPM only. ...
Double-think it Leon.

Here's my view.

1. For a given RPM at NL, the THROTTLE PLATE needs to be in a certain position - not necessarily the flyballs.
2. And yes for the throttle to be put in this position, the flyballs need to be at a certain position in their conical cup.
3. After running for, say, 1500 hours, in a particular position, there might well be a slight groove in the governor cup at that position. (this is TOTAL conjecture - I've never looked or seen this groove)
4. We want 1800 rpm. But we want to avoid that groove
5. Here's the interesting part: So, changing the linkage length (and of course re-adjusting the governor back to 1800) puts the flyballs in a different position for the needed THROTTLE PLATE position.
6. One thing - I agree this does limit the governor's ability to max out the throttle plate setting. After I did this, my JB still carried >7.5kW, so I wasn't too concerned.
7. Obviously, adjust the sensitivity first, and make sure the governor sensitivity is properly set - I assumed you'd already done that...
8. But if that doesn't work... think about this theory...

David C. and I are on the same page...
Len - You need a JB...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post: