Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan Standby Generator 50 5KW3 phase 19820

this thread has 44 replies and has been viewed 2007 times

Old 06-17-2017, 11:38:12 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,246 Times in 2,033 Posts
Default Re: Onanstandby generator 50 5KW3 phase 19820

+1 for the comment from pegasuspinto.

And a bit of advice from one of my favorite movies- "...Man's got to know his limitations". A laboring engine and exciter overcurrent are signs that you could easily cause damage that results in a high dollar repair.

Consider spending some money to have an experienced generator tech look it over. That will be much less expensive than a stator rewind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2017, 12:45:42 AM
Sponsor

Default Re: Onanstandby generator 50 5KW3 phase 19820

At this point, some good photos of the wiring might help in troubleshooting.

We know you've checked your wiring several times, but make sure that generator leads T6 and T9 haven't gotten crossed. That is an easy mistake.

It sound like something is shorting out, since the voltmeter pegs and the exciter (field) circuit breaker trips. The following procedure will be time consuming, but might help in isolating the problem.

1. Make sure the generator cannot start. Disconnect the battery.
2. Disconnect all generator leads T1 thru T12, and isolate each wire from the others.
3. Take an ohm meter, and connect one lead to a good ground on the generator. Using the other lead, touch leads T1 thru T12 one at a time. You should not have any continuity at all. If you have continuity on any of the tests, you have a winding that is shorted to ground. (Wiring may have to be disconnected from the voltage regulator for this test to be accurate.)

Next, you will check the six windings to make sure that the wires are labeled correctly. Each winding will have two ends. They are as follows:

T1 & T4
T2 & T5
T3 & T6
T7 & T10
T8 & T11
T9 & T12

1. Take your ohm meter and check to make sure you have continuity for each winding.
2. As you check each winding, leave one meter lead attached to a T lead, and touch all the other T leads to make sure there is no continuity between windings.

If the above procedure checks out, perform the following:

1. Tape off T1 thru T12 separately with electrical tape. This will be temporary. Do yourself a favor, and leave a little tail of tape folded back on itself as you wrap each lead. This tail will make it easier to remove the tape after the test.
2. Start the generator and turn on the exciter (field) circuit breaker. See if it trips. Report back to us afterwards, so we will know which way to direct you.
3. USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN PERFORMING #2 ABOVE, and make sure those leads are insulated well.

EDIT: If you aren't comfortable with performing the above tests, follow the advice suggested by Wayne 400.

Last edited by Steve Dawkins; 06-18-2017 at 01:09:57 AM. Reason: Agreeing with Wayne 440
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve Dawkins For This Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 12:45:05 PM
Registered

Default Re: Onan Standby Generator 50 5KW3 phase 19820

I'll put the wire configuration back the way it was and grounded the unit it's putting out power with no problems was the reason that one putting out power the way I had it because it wasn't grounded
Old 06-18-2017, 12:59:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,160 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friends with benefits View Post
I'll put the wire configuration back the way it was and grounded the unit it's putting out power with no problems was the reason that one putting out power the way I had it because it wasn't grounded
I'll be the one to say it. Grounding the unit won't make any difference to if it makes power. (Tho the frame should be grounded). IMHO you're very likely to damage something or get you or someone else hurt. I'm not trying to be mean, I just don't feel like you have a great grasp of electricity and/or generators. Please be careful and consider what you are doing...
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 01:38:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 13,662 Times in 6,429 Posts

I have been at this for over forty years. Grounding will not effect power out put. If you rewired it and it didn't work. Then returned it to the way it was and now works. You have a wiring problem.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:32:27 PM
Registered

If six and nine are crossed how is it making power on three phase
Old 06-18-2017, 03:04:56 PM
Sponsor

Just making suggestions for things to check, since you had modified the wiring connections.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:48:00 PM
Subscriber

The six and nine connection was very easy to mix up. I liked Cat's way of marking when I worked for them. T6 and T9. Some companies just put 6/9 on the wire. So it depended on how you looked at it
Old 06-18-2017, 04:36:40 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help but my T6 and T9 are labeled I took all the wires apart and checked all of them for their ground I have no ground that I can find so far

I'm fixing to type all of them off and crank it up and see what happens when I excite it

Tape all of them up individually and crank it up and excite itto see what happens

When I get to the bottom of the problem what should my voltage knob be set on l1 l2or which setting
The Following User Says Thank You to Friends with benefits For This Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 07:29:34 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,160 Times in 763 Posts

I don't think it will make ANY voltage with all the windings disconnected but if it does it could go wide open which can be dangerous as hell.

The voltage select knob is just for the meters and they won't work either if the windings are disconnected

There is no reason to run it with the windings disconnected anyways
Old 06-18-2017, 08:21:13 PM
Registered

Steve mentioned that just to see if it trips the exciter breaker
Old 06-19-2017, 04:22:40 PM
Sponsor

Did you perform the "run" test? If yes, did the exciter breaker trip? If no, don't do it now. I have some questions.

1. In post #9, you said the generator wasn't making voltage. In post #15, you said it was making voltage. What changed for that to happen? Was it just that the exciter breaker was turned off?

2. You changed some of the wiring in the control panel on terminal board TB-21, by moving a jumper. When you first got the machine, there was a jumper from terminal 63 to terminal H3. You moved that jumper. Does the jumper now connect between terminal 63 and terminal H5? Hopefully, you didn't move the other wire #63 that was on terminal #63. It needs to stay put.

3. When you rewired the generator from three phase to single phase, you said the volt meter pegs and the exciter breaker trips. Did you put the wiring back like it was originally, and the generator made voltage again?

4. When you say the generator is making voltage, how were you checking that? Do you have a voltmeter, or were you using the meters on the generator? How much voltage was it putting out?

5. Do you have any way to determine how many RPM the engine is turning? You said in post #15 that it was set up for natural gas. Is that what you are using for a fuel now? if so, do you know if the fuel line size and the gas pressure regulators are large enough so that the engine isn't starving for fuel? If the engine isn't getting enough BTUs, it will not come up to the rated speed of 1800 RPM for the governor to control it.

Sorry for all these questions. We are not there with you, so we are working blindly. We want to help you with your generator, but need to make sure that its done correctly and safely. As you know, your generator is a complex machine and is capable of producing lethal voltages. You can't be replaced, and generator parts are expensive to replace. Please help us to help you. Some photos of the generator leads and the breaker would help me to assist you.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve Dawkins For This Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 09:15:53 PM
Subscriber

Steve If I understood correctly. It was producing good proper voltage. He tried to rewire for single phase. Now has problems. I would guess wiring problem or he may be reading the wrong phase on the selector scale.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:55:44 AM
Registered

Well I'm a plumber so I run 1-1/2 to the generator and reduced it to 1" at the generator I've got a tech on my dwell meter that shows it's running between 1800 1805 Rpms and making power on the original way it was wired but if I undo the ground rod it won't make power so now tomorrow I'm going to wire it back up to single phase what setting does mom not need to be alone to run single phase 220 L1 L2or where is my selector switch need to be

So when you're tired don't talk to a phone what setting does my switch need to be onfor what I'm trying to do thanks again for all of y'all support I'll probably some pretty stupid talking on here I work on three phase water heaters chillers all kinds of pop second trials daily I'll just never owned a generator this siz thanks again for all of y'all support I'll probably some pretty stupid talking on here I work on three phase water heaters chillers all kinds of pumpcompressors I'll Conza stuff at plants here in Memphis I understand generators and electricity is dangerous

Selector switch needs to be on what setting

I would not even have this generator I got it for $1000

It was running and working fine when I demod itfrom a police department we were working on

I will submit pictures tomorrow thanks

Yes I'll put the wires exactly back the way they were I checked all three poles on the generator Side of the breaker voltage was exact on all three poles it was putting out like 103 with a voltage regulator turned all the way down when I turned it up your voltage would raise generator run fine if I disconnect the ground it quits making power I think Lowground was my whole problem all along I will wait for comments and answers tomorrow I'm going to try to reconfigure the The single phase again change the jumper for single phase and see what happens I hope all is well i'm using a fluke voltmeter with a amp clamp and I back that meter up with a field peace meterboth read the same

I did not run it with all wires disconnected I did check all 12 polls for a deadground no ground was found
Old 06-21-2017, 08:59:22 AM
Subscriber

Sure wish I was closer. I would come help you. I need a break from this place. To much work piling up. Had a guy bring me a four wheeler wont start. Put some gas in it cranked right up. Third time he has done that.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:31:58 PM
Registered

That's good stuff Billy that's like my water heater won't heat water walk outside in the gas meters locked off
Old 06-21-2017, 07:50:59 PM
Registered

OK I'm going to her you are going by schematic one on my wiring diagram to single phase what does my selector switch need to be on L1L2 or what
Old 06-24-2017, 10:27:58 PM
Registered

Nobody ever tell me what my selector switch needs to be on for single phase 220
Old 06-24-2017, 10:42:47 PM
Subscriber

It should be on L1. The switch should be divided into two sections. 3 phase and single phase.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:05:18 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,246 Times in 2,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy J Shafer View Post
...Had a guy bring me a four wheeler wont start. Put some gas in it cranked right up. Third time he has done that.
Billy, seems to me like you are not charging him enough. Hit him a good lick in the wallet and he will learn to check the tank.