Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 12.5 JC Should I or shouldn't I?

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 755 times

Old 09-10-2017, 11:36:35 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,268 Posts
Default Re: Onan 12.5 JC Should I or shouldn't I?

I would not pay more than 500 or 600.. that way if does have issues you will be able to fix it and not have 1300 plus into it.. or if it's got serious issues you can get half your money back in parts sold.

All else fails and you just have to have it for 1000 get a small propain torch and have him crank it while you hold the torch end inside the intake and see if it will attempt to run and make any voltage.. that way if it does not run or make voltage you can drag the price down.

No idea if it would run off that.. probably not enough gas flow..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2017, 12:19:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowlister View Post
...get a small propain torch and have him crank it while you hold the torch end inside the intake and see if it will attempt to run and make any voltage.. that way if it does not run or make voltage you can drag the price down.

No idea if it would run off that.. probably not enough gas flow..
Won't work. Not enough gas.

If you really do want to test it, just bring a little gasoline in a squirt bottle. THAT will work.

However, I'd probably rather NOT want to show the seller that it runs, take the risk myself, and negotiate accordingly. I would pop the cover off the control box and carefully look into the generator itself for mouse damage. Also, obviously, see that the engine turns over.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:22:46 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,880 Posts

When my JB carb was completely plugged as a test I made up a squirt bottle of gasoline with a SMALL squirt tube to continuously feed gas down the carb throat, to run it without carb working. It ran normal, gov operated throttle for rpm control. Problem is need a helper dedicated to only that if you want to check out other things while it runs

I think tube ID was 1/32 inch or less. I used a Suave brand shampoo bottle and 1/4 inch OD plastic tube, then forced several successively smaller tubes in end till I was down to a small ID. ( I got these small tubes from inside empty aerosol and pump spray cans/bottles)

I stopped flow of gas every ~ 5 sec to see if it would want to die, to make sure I was not adding too much gas and washing oil off cylinder walls. Didn't take long to get flow right. It takes very little gasoline flow to run a JB at no-load.

Bit crude but potentially lot easier, could take whole propane system off a old BBQ grill and stick outlet into carb intake. Adjust flow rate with BBQ valve. Likely have to unscrew and remove orifice at burner end to get enough flow rate. Works because propane has a wide air/fuel ratio flammability range, gasoline sort of does also. Likely can't get close to full load without increasing flow rate ( open BBQ valve more)

Last edited by len k; 09-10-2017 at 05:12:38 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:04:07 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,350 Posts

Last thing I would do is show him it runs!

I would show him this ad posted by another stack member. It shows a nice 15 JC for $750.00. (not extended stack), within driving range. I would call 15 JC seller and ask if he can demonstrate it runs. If so, tell your seller this one RUNS and makes power.

Ask him to match or better price.
He cannot show his runs or generates power.
Jim M. posted the transfer switch is no good. That being the case, it is only worth value of gauges.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registered

Default Super Clean 15 JC in Philly $750

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thing looks so clean you could eat off of it.
"This unit was taken out of a building. It looks as if it was never used. "

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...296354797.html

call or text:
☎ (267) 718-8695
Old 09-10-2017, 02:36:55 PM
Registered-I

When I saw the dates on the service log I thought this was from the 90's. I don't plan to run the engine in front of the seller. I know I'm taking a chance. I'll check for cat food infestation and I'll make sure the engine is free. As clean as it is I can't imagine any engine trouble unless he ran it without oil. I'm sure these have a LOP switch. He said he bought it 6 or 7 years ago and used it a number of times. He moved from the country to the city and doesn't feel he needs it based on what the neighbors say about outages. I don't think he has had any other interest in it. I'll probably wait a few days and get back to him with a low offer since the switch isn't useful. What makes a good switch verses a bad switch? I don't want to try to negotiate based on something I don't know anything about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldpart For This Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 06:16:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,207 Posts

My personal preference is manual transfer switch. They're lead pipe-simple. The last thing I want to do is to dick with an ATS after my genset is running.

If you think you need an ATS, the one included in this deal may be OK - but to me pretty much any old ATS is worthless. And if it's not rated at 200A, to allow switching the whole house, what good is it?

For transfer, start simple & consider an interlock kit on your main breaker panel first. If there's some reason that won't work, then move up the foodchain to more capable, safer, more expensive solutions...
Old 09-10-2017, 06:52:32 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
As I've said on this forum many times, buying a non running generator, what I like to call a "cold hunk of metal sitting on the ground" is like buying a pig in a poke. You may get lucky, and you may not. And if you don't get lucky, the seller is going to shrug his shoulders and say something like "well... it DID run good". If the seller wants much more than scrap pricing, it's up to him to demonstrate to you, the buyer, that you are buying more than a piece of junk.
If you are going to buy a used car, wouldn't you want to take it for a drive? If you are buying a used TV, wouldn't you want to turn it on and check the picture? Why should it be any different for a generator? He didn't take the Garretson so he can't show it running? That's his problem, not yours.
The photo shows a Garretson KN connected to the genset.