Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Railroads and Equipment > Railroadiana
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Railroadiana Collectibles from the Railroads. Railroadiana or railwayana refers to artifacts of currently or formerly operating railways around the world.

Railroadiana

Adlake Kerosene Switch Signal

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 736 times

Old 04-29-2011, 02:50:29 PM
Administrator

Thanked 11,999 Times in 2,078 Posts
Default Adlake Kerosene Switch Signal

Picked this up at an old antique shop in Oronoco, Minnesota. I love those old shops where you can crawl through the crap and pick up treasures. If you can't smell last winter's mouse pee, you aren't in a good shop. You wouldn't think that there would be enough light from a kerosene lamp to see it on time and I can't imagine depending upon a kerosene lamp to keep a freight train on the right track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP01095.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	105607  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2017, 11:19:35 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,406 Times in 607 Posts
Default Re: Adlake Kerosene Switch Signal

Nice find, Harry! Is it stamped for any railroad? The Fresnel lens in each target is quite efficient at focusing the light. At some of the special event weekends at the Mid-Continent Railroad Museum in North Freedom, WI. we will fill and light the switch stand lamps. They are surprisingly easy to spot even with street lights showing or in twilight. Enjoy!......PD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Deets For This Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 10:58:04 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Adlake Kerosene Switch Signal

In the late 60's when the C&O and B&O merged, I was working on the C&O as a Conducor/Brakeman. The B&O were still using kerosene switch lamps in their yards. At night you could look far down the lead at the color of the switch lamps and clearly see the lineup on the lead. These lamps were much brighter than you could imagine due to the design of the lenses. On cold winter nights, while working the lead aligning switches to direct the next cut of cars coming at me down the lead, I would turn up the flame on the switch lamp nearest me and place one of my gloves at a time on top to warm them up a little. If I had the choice, I would pull pins while switching to be able to run and keep warmer. Working the lead aligning switches then standing still waiting for the cars to pass by, was the very cold end of yard switching on a cold winter's night.
As an afterthought, I'll bet the lamp tender that cleaned and serviced the switchlamps every day cussed the unknown brakeman for sooting up his lamps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John C. Neagley For This Post: