Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Scale Case steam traction model drawings requested

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 3029 times

Old 11-11-2014, 10:34:04 PM
Registered

Default Scale Case steam traction model drawings requested

Hi there gang. This isn't my first time here, however, its been long enough since my last visit that I have forgotten my old username and password and I think I have changed email addresses since my last time here. As a result, I have re-registered.

Anyhoo... For 30 years I have dreamed of building my own Case scale model steam traction engine. My grandfather had built a few over the years, however, I can only remember one of them. I think I was about 1.5 years old when I seen it last and I only remember that because of a photograph that I have of me standing on it.

Some background about me: I live in Ste. Anne Manitoba Canada. I'm 39 years of age and I am a practicing Journeyman Tool & Die Maker with over 20 years in the field. With that said, I am a 3rd generation machinist. My brother, my dad, both of his brothers (my uncles) and my grandfather were all toolmakers/machinists. As you can imagine, I've been around the machine shop my entire life. Now, that doesn't make me an exceptional machinist, however, it does offer some insight into life. I can get around a machine shop is all I am trying to relay and I can comprehend the massive undertaking that I am about to dive into. I don't expect to be steaming up a scale model Case any time soon. I do, however, have access to two different private machine shops where I can work on this project.

Why am I here? I am looking for somebody who has engineering drawings, complete plans or even CAD files for a fully functional scale model Case. The smaller the better but I'll take what I can get. Being a divorced, single father of two little girls - I'm not a rich man, however, if the price is right, I am very interested.

If you don't have what I am looking for but can steer me into the right direction, please don't hesitate to post or PM me. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Last question for now: would the book How to Build a 4" Case Traction Engine and Water Wagon by Ralph W. Andres have what I am looking for? I have a line on a copy but I am unsure whether or I should buy it or not.

Thanks so much for your help in getting me started. Just for fun, below is a photo of a blown up photo of me with my Grandfather's last miniature. Enjoy!!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ste.Anne Dan For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2014, 09:12:45 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Scale Case steam traction model drawings requested

Looks to be a1/3 scale , search for threads in the model section I v'e got one on a 1/3 scale build that the casting kits are available , with some whining about the castings and prints but several people on this forum have built or are building them
The Following User Says Thank You to chrsbrbnk For This Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 10:33:13 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply. I've been searching through the threads but unless I am doing something wrong, I am unable to locate any design prints to work from. 1/3 scale is nice but 1/4 would be nicer. I think that i would prefer to build without castings. The expense of the castings and the headaches that some people have encountered are a deterrent.

Cheers!
- Daniel
Old 11-12-2014, 02:25:37 PM
Registered-III

http://www.colespowermodels.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest A For This Post:
Old 11-13-2014, 03:32:50 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I assumed that Coles sold the plans with the casting kits. I'm not interested in the casting kit - just the plans. With that said, I'll likely look into what they offer in more detail soon.

For now, I couldn't help myself...I bought the How to Build a 4" Case Traction Engine & Water Wagon by Ralph Andres. I hope that it's as good as I imagine it to be.

Cheers!
Old 11-22-2014, 12:19:09 AM
Subscriber

The book you bought has all the prints and drawings however the prints in the plans are very small and hard to read. I have the full size print I am woking from. That makes it easier. I also have a pair of glasses my dentist gave me that I use to read the prints in the book. The plans are identicle. This is a huge project to undertaken. If you have the access to the equipment and the skill (and time) it can be a very rewarding experience.
I am learning a lot about machining and steam engines as I go. I worked construction for 25 years and did machining as a hobby. Also as you get into this you can expect to spend some $. I am retired, kids are gone, and have the time and resources to persue this hobby. If you decide to pocede with this project I would be glad to share the experiences I have had to this point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b7100 For This Post:
Old 11-24-2014, 11:48:13 AM
Subscriber

Hi

Here is the info on who sells the castings for that engine. know you do not want castings but I think he sells the prints.

This is old information from 2011 so I hope it still works

1/3 scale case traction engine

Reduction engineering
661 60th ave sw
Beulah ,nd 58523

ph 701-873-2316 or wwwreductionengineering@westriv.com

Also there is the 2" scale Coles Case. Not only does he have prints but also build articles, like how to build the boiler etc. I have a 2" and a full set of prints and articles.

I attached two photos of the 2", one with its full size brother, and one running it with a silage filler. I did not build this fine engine but it runs like swiss watch.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full-and-2-inch.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	211655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ander 2014 EM.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	211656  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob N For This Post:
Old 12-06-2014, 04:15:23 AM
Registered-III

Find a full size Case and look it over very carefully. I have a 2" scale Case. Got prints from Coles. There are parts shown in the plans that are very different from a full size engine. Figure out how to put washout plugs on the boiler. Figure out how you will fill the boiler with water. Find an easy way to fill the water tank.
Good luck and don't be afraid to be creative.

EspeeRalph
The Following User Says Thank You to EspeeRalph For This Post: