Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Anyone who welds - pro or hobby - this is a MUST read (SAFETY)

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 38932 times

Old 04-16-2012, 11:26:42 AM
speleausmining

Default Re: Anyone who welds - pro or hobby - this is a MUST read (SAFETY)

phosgene was one of the primary fillers in gas shells during WWI thats why its often confused with mustard gas. I have never experianced that gas yet though. I have experianced chlorine gas while disolving mortar samples for analisis...nasty stuff. I have also, while doing a fire assay on sulphide ore, got a noze full of Hydrogen Sulphide gas again not pleasant. While we are on the topic of welding hazards I am surprized no one has brought up radiation hazards. Some Tig welding rods contain thorium, a radioactive element that you really do not want in your lungs. Likewise some alloys (mostly aluminum or zinc) contain thorium so care is advisable. Be carefull of some bronze and brass material also. Arsenic bronze was once commonly used for things like pipe fittings which while relatively harmless as is its a big problem if you cut grind or melt it. All this to say wearing some kind of dust mask is just smart practice.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2012, 12:53:53 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in PA View Post
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

The guy used brake cleaner to clean a part before he welded it. He got a tiny puff of smoke and it literally almost killed him. The cleaner turned into Phosgene gas which is deadly.

Please pass this on to anyone who welds.

Jeff
Not good. Carb cleaner works great for aluminum but also sets of bad toxic smell
Old 11-28-2014, 02:44:48 PM
Registered

Default "DANGER" When using chlorinated solvents

I worked as a maintenance welder in a plant that made heat exchangers. they used a lot of tri chlor and per chlor ethlyene as a degreasing agent. The way it works is a part that has been cleaned by an chlorinated solvent, as it's heated it changes the fumes to hydrachloric acid. Then those fumes as it's exposed to the ultra violet light, from the welding arc. Turns the fumes to phosgene gas, which can be deadly. If using the chlorinated solvents, heat up the part with a propane torch outside, keeping yourself upwind and burn the solvent off. Then the part is ready for welding.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

I also wanted to add that when you heat up a metal part that has been cleaned with a chlorinated solvent. The fumes will smell like newely mowed hay.
The Following User Says Thank You to Welder Extraordinare For This Post:
Old 02-27-2015, 06:27:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,815 Times in 4,904 Posts
Default Re: "DANGER" When using chlorinated solvents

The link in 1-st post died, I found the new one. It says the same thing as I recall.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/safe...sgene-gas.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 12-12-2015, 09:15:19 PM
Registered

just the fumes off the welding rods will get to you Doug