Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Lincoln Weldanpower 150

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 1862 times

Old 02-20-2018, 01:37:52 PM
Registered

Default Lincoln Weldanpower 150

I own a 1978 Lincoln Weldanpower AC 150. It was working fine 10 months ago. I went to use it a few weeks ago and it would not produce power or weld. I tried pushing down on of the brushes and it started working.

I turned it off and was planning on using it the next day.

I started it the next day no power again. I then made a mistake when I pushed down on the brushes and shorted it to the metal frame. I did get a very large spark. I know I should not have used a metal screwdriver but its too late.

I removed the three 200 MFD Capacitors and tested with my meter. I get no reading when setting the meter to Microfarad. Not sure what I should get ?. I know the manual tells me 600 MF. These are three wired in series. I disconnect all wires and test and all show dead. Again I have never tested a capacitor so I don't know what I should get.

I checked the flashing diode and it shows good with my diode meter. Got power one way and none the other. I checked AC Voltage at the flashing coil and I get 1.25 volts. Manual said I could get from 1.5 to 4 AC Volts. I may be a little low there but not sure if that is low enough to cause this problem on getting this thing to produce power.

I checked DC Voltage at brushes past the flashing diode and I get 1.3 to 1.42 volts. I think I may be low there. I am not exactly sure how much it should show.

I checked the ohm reading at rotor between the slip rings with brushes lifted and it shows 4.7 ohms.

I also checked the bridge rectifier with my meter and it shows just like flashing diode. I get a reading one way and reverse leads and nothing so i assume it is good. One of the wires and male terminal on the rectifier has been hot but still connects ok and has continuity when it is connected.

I am thinking that all was wrong with it to begin with was brushes were not making contact and when I shorted it with the screwdriver I burned something up. I am not lost so maybe someone here can direct me what to test next.

I hope I explains this ok. Thanks for any help. Tom
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2018, 03:04:05 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,449 Times in 4,161 Posts
Default Re: Lincoln Weldanpower 150

With the Ohmmeter, your capacitors should show a surge, then settle down to -0-. this shows that the cap is taking a charge. Let it set a minute, then short the lead to the case. It should discharge with a good SNAP. If they do not - they are probably going or are bad. If the meter does not zero, then the cap is internally shorting - replace it/them. If one is bad, I would replace them all - no sense not replacing the set. If one is bad, the others probably will follow.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:17:01 PM
Registered

I am not sure the meter I have will read this capacitor ?
On my meters microFarad setting it has 20μF 2μF 200n 20n and 2n.

My capacitor is a Mallory type- CGS 200MFD 150VDC
From what I have read I had to set a meter to at least 200μF or higher to test the one I have ?
I just want to make sure these are indeed defective before I buy any. Thanks again for any help. Tom
Old 02-20-2018, 11:27:52 PM
Registered

I used the 2k Ohm setting and get nothing on any of them. I touch leads and get .000.

What would a new capacitor like I have show using an Ohm meter ?

Mine shows just like a fuse that is blown . No continuity .

Does this test using the Ohm settings show mine are all three dead ?
I always thought you had to use meters with microFarad setting ?
Learning here. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:55:16 PM
Subscriber

Have your meter set to high ohms, put the leads on the capacitor and the meter should go up and fall back to infinity. Then immediately reverse the leads and touch the terminals and the meter should go up higher than the first time and fall back to infinity. That is if the capacitor is good. If not it may show a resistance reading all the time or it may be completely open circuited inside and only show infinity.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobW For This Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 09:04:36 AM
Registered

All three are completely open circuited inside and only show infinity using the Ohm meter. I must have blew them when I shorted the wire at brushes ? Is that possible ?

---------- Post added at 09:04:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25:19 AM ----------

The flashing coil AC output is a little on the low side also.

I get 1.25 AC volts at high RPM. It will maybe go a little higher as it runs a while but never over 1.3 AC volts.

Manual said I should get from 1.5 to 4 AC.

I think back in 2014 when I was first getting this old thing going I was getting 3 AC volts + or - a few .

Maybe I messed that up also when I shorted the brush lead with metal screwdriver.

The red wire at brushes is the one I made the mistake and touched metal when pushing down on brushes. I tested the two wires coming from flashing coil for shorts and none.

I have read where one can rewind the flashing coil with wire bought from radio shack without spending much money.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:38:04 PM
Registered

A friend of mine has a Fluke meter that will check these things. The reading using his Fluke meter set on Microfarad show all mine are good. I get 213-223 and 215. These are good.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:43:50 PM
Registered

The bridge rectifier is bad . It is where the male connection going to the brush I accidentally shorted.
I thought I had checked but must have missed it.
Today I removed it and tested it with the meter. Now to find one.
Anyone know where I could purchase one from this old Lincoln Weldanpower 150
Old 02-23-2018, 11:49:06 PM
Registered

Found part
The Following User Says Thank You to jerkputter For This Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 01:08:04 AM
Registered-III

Glad you have your part. Let us know how you get on and if it works again for you.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:46:56 AM
Registered

Will do. It should be here this week.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:14:28 PM
Registered

Got the rectifier installed. It will generate power but I have to start by taking a 12 volt battery and jump it to positive side of brushes. The second I touch the wire to positive lead on brush it will start putting out power.

The flashing mag is weak.

To weak to get this thing started. My AC output is 1 volt, sometimes less than that. Not enough.
It is supposed to have 1.4 to 4 AC volts.
There were instructions on the weldingweb site before it went down on how to rewind the flashing mag and what wire to buy ?
I didn't write that down.
Anyone know how to do this. Tom
Old 02-27-2018, 08:35:34 PM
eMail NOT Working

before going through that, make certain that the dc leads are connected in proper polarity, then start it up, connect a load and flash it, and then give it a good heavy load to grind on for a half hour, then shut it down, let it set for a few minutes, then try it again.

self excitation requires a little residual magnetism. when you blew the bridge, that pumped ac through the field, effectively degaussing it.

Rather than flashing, you could use my other non invasive trick... slap a big magnet on the outside of the exciter, move it around till the 75w lightbulb you plugged in starts to glow, and then plug in a 1500w milkhouse heater set to half power, and let it work. it'll rebuild that residual in a half hour our so. Safe and easy.

Last edited by dkamp; 02-27-2018 at 10:49:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dkamp For This Post:
Old 02-27-2018, 11:37:26 PM
Registered

Thanks, I will give that a try and let you know. Good info . Thanks again. Tom
Old 02-28-2018, 08:16:22 AM
Registered

I am not sure I understand how to do this ?

Rather than flashing, you could use my other non invasive trick... slap a big magnet on the outside of the exciter, move it around till the 75w lightbulb you plugged in starts to glow, and then plug in a 1500w milkhouse heater set to half power, and let it work. it'll rebuild that residual in a half hour our so. Safe and easy.
The only magnets I have are the ones I remove from old computer hard drives. I work on computers as a side job and found the magnets in those larger desktop drives have very strong magnets.
Any pictures on how exactly to do this ?
You saying I don't need to flashing coil to make this thing kick off ?

I am not quite sure how to go about doing what you mentions ?
Old 02-28-2018, 06:58:18 PM
Registered

I do understand the first step you mentioned. I will try that tomorrow with my electric heater and see if it works.
The second method I am not 100 % sure on. Anyway I will report back how it goes.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:29:55 AM
eMail NOT Working

Just take a stack of those computer magnets... stack them all together tight, so they're one massive fistful, start the generator, with an old-fashioned light bulb connected, and put that magnet against the generator frame. Move it slowly from one end to the other, and when you see a glow in the bulb, LEAVE the magnet where it is...
Old 03-01-2018, 07:23:45 PM
Registered

dkamp, your first tip worked like a dream. I flashed it with a 12 volt battery.

Plugged in my electric heater and let to run with heater on wide open for 30 minutes.

Turned it off and let it sit for 15 minutes.
Started it back up and I did not have to flash it this time.

I even welded with it for 10 minutes. THANKS so much. Never would have got it going if not for you. Its old like me but still works. Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to jerkputter For This Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 10:56:51 PM
Registered-III

What a great outcome. We are happy for you that your welder is back in action and ready for use.