Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets. What's Good?

this thread has 34 replies and has been viewed 8524 times

Old 12-10-2014, 12:10:04 AM
Email NOT Working

Default Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets. What's Good?

A co-worker of mine has an auto-darkening helmet he got from Northern Tool that S.T.B ($hit the bed). He's asking me if he should get a battery or solar-powered helmet. I honestly don't know much about 'em, so I'm asking here. I got a Lincoln auto-darkening helmet from Home Depot, used it a few times and it seems pretty good. So basically, do you have to buy a high-end helmet to protect your eyes?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2014, 10:23:35 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Auto-darkening welding helmets. What's good?

Look at the response times on them. I've had cheapies that were sooooo slow, I knew ahead of time to close my eyes for a 1/2 second when I strike an arc!!!! Bleah.

Depending on the usage (TIG, MIG, etc), you can get away with cheaper, or pricier.

I LOVE all the features on the Miller digital elite I have - don't like the price.
The NEW Lincoln ones (just released in the last few months) are outstanding, and close to 1/2 the price of the Miller. Check out the brochure pics comparing what you can/can't see when doing fine close up TIG work.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:58:36 AM
Subscriber

You only get one set of eyes... If you get a good quality, name brand helmet/shade, think of it as insurance.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGray For This Post:
Old 12-10-2014, 11:07:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,670 Times in 479 Posts

I use a NexGen by Jackson at work can't tell you what they cost but they seem to hold up real well.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:31:11 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGray View Post
You only get one set of eyes... If you get a good quality, name brand helmet/shade, think of it as insurance.
That's why I have an old-style shade 10 mask for now.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:49:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,686 Times in 2,518 Posts

This?
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/for/4778204177.html

Or perhaps the Speedglas helmets that work very well. But they are spendy.
http://store.cyberweld.com/spwehe91se.html

Whatever you buy be sure to buy spare cover lenses and extra batteries as you know they'll crap out in the middle of a project.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:07:32 AM
Registered-II

I had a cheap solar one a few years back but it only lasted about 12 months. Replaced it with a Miller. The Miller is a way better helmet.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:18:43 AM
Registered-III

I just use a old school fixed shade No 12 never did get into the autodarkening ones. A shade 10 lets much too much light in for me...........
I tried the gold coloured lens once every time i put it down it scratched the lens a little moving in between the protective cover then had sore eyes.
So lesson learnt tape the cover around the edge to the lens before you pop it in the helmet so it won't move.
I always wonder with the auto darkening helmets the response time and how much of the first instance light gets through to your eyes before it darkens, so have not been tempted to rush out and buy one no matter what brand.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:41:30 AM
Subscriber

""You only get one set of eyes... If you get a good quality, name brand helmet/shade, think of it as insurance."" so true

I have a hormel Speedglas, yes it is nice, and because I am not bench welding much or doing a lot of consistent welding, its nice in helping to prevent flash burns. for large work I have a big window old school .
one thing I truly can not stand is the head band and pivot adjustments on the speedglas, for all that money the head harness is a POS. the rest is fine.

JC
Old 12-11-2014, 11:13:31 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,686 Times in 2,518 Posts

What I don't like on the Speedglas 9000 I have is taking it apart to clean, replace cover lenses, or change batteries.

The front cover is held on by plastic tabs and if you forget where they are you can easily break things. As an occasional user I do forget where those crucial little locking tabs are. I wrote on the cover with a sharpie, pull here, push there etc.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:25:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,898 Times in 773 Posts

From Lincoln Electric:

Q: What is the correct lens shade to use in my welding helmet to properly protect my eyes?

A: Many people mistakenly think that the lens shade number corresponds to the amount of protection that is provided to the eyes and hence the higher the number, the better the protection. But in reality, all well-constructed quality welding lenses, have a screen that filters out 100 percent of the harmful ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) wavelengths and provides protection to the eyes. The number just denotes the amount of darkness provided by that particular lens and should be used by operators as a guide to select the one that is most comfortable and yet provides good visibility for the particular application.

Of course, there are some suggested lens shade numbers that you can use as a guide if you are unsure what to select for your application. These correspond with the amperage being welded. Always select a shade that allows you to see the weld puddle clearest and that most aids your welding ability.

Q: Auto-darkening helmets don't darken until the welding arc is struck - will this "split second" damage my eyes?

A: Welding arcs emit both IR and UV wavelengths of light. Unprotected from this light, both eye damage and discomfort can occur. Since high-quality auto-darkening helmets provide UV and IR protection even when the helmet is not activated, you are always protected. However, for maximum comfort, look for a high quality helmet that has a response darkening time of 4/10ths of a millisecond. Less than a millisecond is not perceivable by the human eye and will provide the most comfort.

When I bought my cheaper <$100 helmet at a farm show, I was told that you get the protection even when the lense is not activated. It isn't comfortable to stare at the light without the shade darkened, but it won't hurt you. I can't tell you how good the HF helmets are, but I bet they are safe enough.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:01:24 PM
Registered-II

One difference I noticed between my Arc One helmet and a cheap HF helmet is that the Arc One is all the same shade all the way across. The cheap one is darker at the edges of the lens then at the center. In effect that makes it like having a smaller lens since you can only look through the middle 1/3.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:01:38 AM
Registered-II

I've been using a HF hood for over 10 years. I hang it in the window so it gets sun light each day (what little we get here). Never had a problem with it. I suppose it's as they say, "Your mileage may vary."
Old 12-12-2014, 12:44:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,968 Posts

I have 2 HF helmets, one is over 10 yo, both seem to work fine for me, but I've never had an expensive one, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing
Old 12-12-2014, 02:12:48 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,682 Times in 508 Posts

I use this Jackson helmet. I like the wide window.

http://store.cyberweld.com/jaweheblt...rce=productads
Old 12-13-2014, 12:40:40 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,391 Times in 944 Posts

Don't the solar powered ones charge while your welding? Bob
Old 12-13-2014, 02:58:13 PM
Registered-I

I've tried several auto darkening lenses but I always go back to my "American optical, Cool Weld" lense that I bought in about 1989. I use it in a "Wendy's pancake hood". They haven't produced those lenses for more than 15 years. I have a couple of scoop hoods with auto lenses around the shop I use for tacking sometimes. The new cool blue lenses are not quite as good as the old american optical ones. When you use it daily, you need to be comfortable with it. And "DITTO" on one set of eyes! That's why I use the pancake. The balsa wood keeps the reflected rays and flying debris from coming in the back, safer in my opinion. Not to mention better vision due to all the light coming in through the filter lense.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:16:21 AM
Registered

I,m old school. Use huntsman cutting helmet with big window 4.5 x 5 approx it can get wet ,I can drop it. It does not have a opening shield for chipping but I just do that later with face shield. I have used this style for 30 plus years. However apparently they have stopped making. I would go for the lightest biggest window you can. I have dropped a few and had to replace them for employees 200 approx . One of my guys keeps forgetting to turn it on. Gets flashed. I did buy my daughter a speed aire that was 130. It isn't to bad. But me I'm old school and like my old hood. Light and cheap
Old 04-28-2015, 08:28:47 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,673 Times in 1,961 Posts

Re: 1 set of eyes... ANY silicon based glass blocks UV, shaded or not. Transition time on HF helmets: 1/20,000 second. Buy one that fits comfortably.
Doc
Old 04-28-2015, 09:15:22 PM
Subscriber

Buy a name brand helmet skip the harbor freight and farm store specials. Wear safety glasses helmets are not for impact protection plus most people don't know safety glasses knock down UV so if you get flash from someone it helps reduce waking up with the feeling of sand in your eyes. Protect your skin too cover it or use sunscreen. I got the back of my ears toasted once in an aluminum tank shop just from reflection burning the back of my head and ears.

Consider all your safety items too gloves, cap, ear plugs, glasses etc. Cotton and leather is your friend no polyester or oil based fabrics unless you want it to melt to you and burn you alive.

Welding shade lens is dictated by welding amperage if you run 300 amps on a shade 9 or 10 your in for a rude awakening.

Safety first it's not worth losing an eye or worse.