Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Miller CP200 Primary Xfmr Wiring id Help Needed

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 805 times

Old 07-27-2018, 04:49:43 PM
Registered

Question Miller CP200 Primary Xfmr Wiring id Help Needed

Been reading about the Haas-Kamp coversion on 3 phase Miller welders. I managed to find a CP-200 that I'm trying to covert. My problem is that many of the wires broke on the back side of the terminal strip and a few of the terminal studs were so bad I couldn't get the nuts loose without damaging things. I finally had to remove it and try and keep things in order..... well that didn't work. Now I need to beg for some help form my fellow forum posters to figure out what wires on each transformer correspond to the appropriate terminals on the back of the terminal strip so I can get everything connected in the correct phase and order.

So here is the deal... refer to the pic....

Verified by using an ohm meter:
W2 and W4 are one primary winding
w1 and w3 are the other

I need to know on each of the 3 transformers what terminals W1 through W4 go to on the back of the terminal strip. I'm hoping someone who has completed the conversion successfully can help me sort this out. I'm confident that once it figure it out I can get everything working. Thanks in advance for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transformer C.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	315039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Miller CP-200.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	315040  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2018, 07:50:21 PM
eMail NOT Working

Default Re: Miller CP200 Primary xfmr wiring id help needed

Okay, so first off... each of the coil sets are identical... so if the A or B coil connections are intact, just mimic those, and you'll be fine.

Second... when doing a Haas-Kamp on this one, you're wiring the coils in series (like 460v), so if you find the two center connections, just hard-wire 'em, and use the two remainders as your power point. Worst thing that'd happen, is the phasing for this coil might wind up backwards, in which case, you'll know when you weld with it, it won't get up and shout... just swap the two wires feeding that coil, and it'll wake up.

Don't feel bad about those connections breaking off- they're fragile that way. Most of the CP series problems I've seen were either dirty contacts on the transformer secondary taps (the sliding brushes), or broken wires at the back of the terminal strip. My first CP (in my earliest writeup) came to me on the cheap because of a broken wire at the terminal ring lug.

I've had guys ask about yanking the terminal strip altogether and just hard-wiring these with clamps or wire nuts, and the answer is yes... clamps better'n wire nuts, but any port in a storm...
Old 08-07-2018, 08:40:34 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamp View Post
Okay, so first off... each of the coil sets are identical... so if the A or B coil connections are intact, just mimic those, and you'll be fine.
That's what I was thinking. I tried it and the main breaker would kick out when I tried to power it up. I know which coils match up with my ohmmeter but do not know which is center and which is the outer. Once I figure that out I got this nailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamp View Post
I've had guys ask about yanking the terminal strip altogether and just hard-wiring these with clamps or wire nuts, and the answer is yes... clamps better'n wire nuts, but any port in a storm...
This is exactly what I'm doing. After I launched 3 wire nuts into Low Earth Orbit, I am using clamps and heavy terminal lugs. That puts the pressure on my main power breaker if I don't break something worse by not doing this correctly.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:24:06 PM
Registered

OK So I've had some luck..... Basically, since I know the wire pairs that make up each coil, I looked at how they were wound and found the two closest wires to the center that were on different pairs and connected them together.

Then I wired the two remaining ones according to the schematic, keeping each transformer oriented the same to keep things in phase (I think).

Sooooo.... now what I see is this. The welder powers up and runs and no connections fry or get launched into orbit and the breaker doesn't trip.

The wirefeeder is a Profax II and it seems to work fine.

The issue I see (hear) now is the when I strike an arc, it immediately goes away and the wire stops feeding. It sounds like a chattering solenoid in the welder when that happens. After pulling the trigger a few times, it starts feeding again. I do not think this is a problem with the wire feeder. It seems like I'm losing power. Any suggestions on where to look?
Old 09-10-2018, 11:58:29 PM
eMail NOT Working

Default Re: Miller CP200 Primary Xfmr Wiring id Help Needed

Is the wire welding itself to the tip?
Old 09-11-2018, 12:00:58 AM
Registered

I resolved it.... it was welding itself to the tip. I replaced the liner and o rings and it welds great now.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:54:25 AM
eMail NOT Working

Great! Yeah, that happens. I've had people bring me too many MIG welders with 'power supply' problems, that turned out to be feeder/liner/nozzle problems.