Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Chain Saw Collectors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Chain Saw Collectors Vintage chainsaws and other air cooled gas engine saws, collecting and restoring.

Chain Saw Collectors

McCulloch Chain Saw and Line Trimmer

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 964 times

Old 09-02-2018, 01:17:40 AM
Registered

Default McCulloch Chain Saw and Line Trimmer

I am wanting to get my old McCulloch vintage chainsaw and vintage Eager Beaver, line trimmer up and running again. Is this the group where I can do that? My questions for now are fuel and carb gasket making.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2018, 01:25:36 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: WHere can I post questions about my McCulloch chain saw and line trimmer?

Post away! Include model numbers and pics if you have. Welcome to the stak!
The Following User Says Thank You to gdstew For This Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 12:04:30 AM
Registered

Default Re: WHere can I post questions about my McCulloch chain saw and line trimmer?

great! SO I have a Eager beaver 2 line trimmer, and I want to get it running again. It has sat for 25+ years, unused. The motor fires and runs for a few seconds, from burst of starter fluid. So I would like to rebuild the carb. I noticed the gaskets used in attaching the carb to the cylinder head need replaced. One gasket in particular, that is kinda odd, is the one where, the carb bolts on. it has a curved, cut out section. I tried my hand at making my own gaskets from gasket material, but, that has not, turned out ideal, and maybe completely incorrectly made. I need gaskets for the areas where the carb bolts on. and source for the correct carb rebuilding kit. I also need ideas fr repairing or replacing the kill switch, as the original has lost parts. I have given thought to installing a toggle switch, if I could find one small enough, but suitable for the task....any suggestions that work? I welcome your fees able suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180903_203438852.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	317865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180903_203453698.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	317866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180903_203621746_HDR.jpg
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	317867  
Old 09-04-2018, 09:02:13 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: McCulloch Chain Saw and Line Trimmer

At the top of the page is "sponsors", check out a guy that goes by Partsman. A good local shop probably has a kit also. The carb is probably a Zama or Walbro and there is markings on the carb to ID it. Somtimes they are hard to read so you might want to take the carb with you. You will probably have to use homemade gaskets.
There are short toggle switches used on chainsaws and trimmers, should be easy to get one. You will need a 1 wire post if mounting to metal, 2 wire posts if mounting to plastic.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:49:47 AM
Registered

Thank you gdstew! great tips! I would like to share my requests for gasket info. I attached pictures of the gasket areas I need, and have questions about. I'll be making my own gaskets.
1) DO I need a gasket between the air filter and the carb?
2) What would the gasket look like that would go between the carb and the 'black plastic piece' seen in the pictures, and this black plastic piece, has a 'arched opening', that has a deep hole at the bottom, in one picture, I inserted a small drill bit into the hole to indicate it is a hole.
3) Could this hole in the arch be for the 'pulse' that the carb needs, and I have read about?
4) In one picture, of the fuel lines, you see that, I attempted to seal the area where the fuel line enters the tank, because, the fuel leaks past the fuel lines, I'm using the largest fuel line I can find locally. Any solutions?
5) Ideas for how to mark the gasket material, exactly, for that 'arched area' so that, the opening can be cut out of the gasket paper? and suggestions for making perfect holes, in the gasket paper, for the holes seen in the arch?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180906_233656.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	318123   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180906_233730.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	318124   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180906_233754.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	318125   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180906_233810.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	318126  
Old 09-07-2018, 12:55:41 AM
Registered

I forgot to ask, what do you recommend using as gasket material? I'm trying the dark grey colored paper from the auto parts store, Ive used it on carb. of cars, maybe it is too thick for this application?
Old 09-07-2018, 01:41:47 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,185 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywelder View Post
2) What would the gasket look like that would go between the carb and the 'black plastic piece' seen in the pictures, and this black plastic piece, has a 'arched opening', that has a deep hole at the bottom, in one picture, I inserted a small drill bit into the hole to indicate it is a hole.
Your gasket is in pic 4 between the engine and gas tank, no need to make a new one. That curved hole is for the impulse circuit of the carb that helps pump fuel up to it.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:47:21 AM
Registered-II

Motormowers is correct and you do not need a gasket at the air filter. The tank leak is standard with lower priced machines.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:08:16 AM
Registered-I

To get the fuel lines sealed to the tank you can drill the holes larger and use a grommet from an echo or stihl. I wouldn't worry about it until you get it running well though.
The Following User Says Thank You to AZBolens800 For This Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 12:03:11 AM
Registered

Thanks to each of you!
I understand, no gasket is needed, between air filter and carb.
yet, I don't completely follow what your saying motormowers. .....I don't see my gasket in picture 4, as you say. I see no gasket material either. ????
I am referring to a gasket for the area pictured in picture #2. As I would expect there was a gasket, for that curved impulse circuit area. Otherwise couldn't the effect of the impulse be lost to atmosphere? Am I incorrect?

So, Is there no gasket for the section between the aluminum and the black plastic?
Please, help me to understand what it is your telling me.

---------- Post added 09-11-2018 at 12:03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-10-2018 at 11:42:16 PM ----------

Oh oh!!! hold the presses!!! I looked at picture #4 again, this time I see the gasket! Please accept my apologies Motormowers. I fully understand what you were telling me. I retrieved, and looked, at the gasket. Wow! it has so many holes, for being the gasket for that area, far more than I would expect. It is torn at one of the two, mounting bolt holes. I suspect, a dab of form-a-gasket will seal that small area. Wow, it was there this whole time, I suspect I became so engrossed in this, that I over looked it hiding there. Embarrassing. Again, thank you every one. I'll post an update when I get it all together and try to start it.
The Following User Says Thank You to flywelder For This Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 01:16:11 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,185 Times in 625 Posts

If you scrape all that silicone off the tank and take it to a power equipment shop they should have the right size Tygon fuel line to fit those holes.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:42:27 AM
Registered

your carb is a Walbro WT211. kits are readily available