Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Shows and Swap Meets > Florida Flywheelers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Florida Flywheelers Florida Flywheelers Antique Engine Club at Flywheeler Park has now grown to almost 240 acres and includes a tractor pull track, club and member buildings which house displays, collections and many large engines. The club putting on 3 shows per year at the park.

Florida Flywheelers

Florida Flywheelers Golf Cart Meet

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3191 times

Old 02-20-2014, 09:11:20 PM
Subscriber

Default Florida Flywheelers Golf Cart Meet

I attended the Florida Flywheelers Golf Catr Meet today-- this was the first time I have attended this show. Huge flea market --75% of the stuff had no relationship to engines or tractors--but if you like flea markets (I do), its all interesting. Tractors were well represented, on display -- a great tractor parade, and tractor pulls all day long. (Although, I never saw a single Cletrac.)

The representation for engines was a little light--although I saw at least 7 IHC 3 horse Famous uprights (my personal favorite).

The food selections were great -- great selection of vendors.

I walked every row of the flea market in about 6 hours. I think that there were only about ten or twelve people walking -- the rest of the folks seemed to be riding golf carts, gators, atvs, motor bikes, etc. There were so many golf carts that they caused regular grid locks for everybody.

I'd recommend this show to anyone, but if you are into engines, this isn't a "Portland", a "Coolspring", or a "Canadaigua" -- but where else you going to go in February?

Ray Rice, not missing that 30" of snow I left in Rifton
The Following User Says Thank You to Handlebar99 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2014, 08:52:41 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Florida Flywheelers Golf Cart Meet

handlebar99 , i was down there last year and couldnt agree more.flea market mostly garage sale junk,very few small engines, briggs, maytag etc. and the golf carts overwelming.i wont go back. anybody know anything about zolfo springs? flea market , small engines etc
clement
Old 02-21-2014, 11:28:50 AM
Subscriber

Been to both shows/swap meets in Avon Park and Zolfo. The golf cart issue on shows and markets has been discussed many times before and due to lack of consideration and caution various rules have been deployed for the bigger shows.
To attract a big crowd,in order to at least break even with a considerable amount of cost involved running a show like this, you have to spread the interest groups into engines, engine parts, flea market stuff. Nothing a organizer can do if the quality isn't there. I've been to shows where 90% engines where made by either Fairbanks or JD, how interesting is that?
Personally I stick with Zolfo Springs, always a good mix of engines (I will bring 15 small engines alone), antique stuff and flea market related items and the people there seemed more laid back.
The walkways between the booths are not really laid out for a huge amount of golf carts, but you will find the occasional 4x6 RTV (about the size of a minivan) maneuvers its way through.
These shows never set out to compete with Portland and Coolspring, and while it will be below freezing all next week in Portland I'd rather listen to some sweet sounding hit and miss, dig in parts boxes and wander through flea market booths in the mid to upper 70s.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thiel For This Post:
Old 02-23-2014, 09:53:48 AM
Subscriber

Back home for a day before Zolfo, yes lots of carts, walking is way easier to get around to avoid the traffic jams. As for comparison I will take Zolfo. This is all we have in Fla. We have to make due, I wish we were like Portland or my all time favorite Coolspring but logistics aren't there, never will. All we can hope for is more collectors local and northerners alike will bring more ENGINES and related stuff down here, thanks to all that do. I am loading now for Zolfo and will have four trailers of stuff to look at. Greg
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Best For This Post:
Old 02-23-2014, 11:33:25 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,382 Times in 1,574 Posts
Photo Re: Florida Flywheelers Golf Cart Meet

Just got in last night from Flywheelers.. Great show, great people!! Always glad to meet old friends and make new ones..Weather was great till Saturday afternoon sometime and got rain.. Got to meet Greg, Scooterbob and several others that I can't remember their names??
Just left everthing in the trailer and will head to Zolfo Springs today or tomorrow.

Here are some pics from the Flywheelers.

Florida Flywheelers 2014

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Van Hook For This Post: