Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Shows and Swap Meets > Florida Flywheelers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Florida Flywheelers Florida Flywheelers Antique Engine Club at Flywheeler Park has now grown to almost 240 acres and includes a tractor pull track, club and member buildings which house displays, collections and many large engines. The club putting on 3 shows per year at the park.

Florida Flywheelers

First Time at Show

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2059 times

Old 02-27-2018, 09:57:21 PM
Sponsor

Default First Time at Show

Was in Florida last week so took in a couple days at the show. Meet some friends hadn't seen in awhile and made some new ones.
Enjoyed the village.
Was wondering though if there use to be more engines in years past. Called flywheels show. I think it was 75% free-market, 20% tractors and 5% engine related.
Galan
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2018, 02:06:07 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,191 Times in 4,003 Posts
Default Re: First Time at Show

Although I have not had the opportunity to attend, I had heard the same thing. if Harry is watching, and attended the show - comments?

Not to hijack the thread, but have you attended the show at Kinzers PA (Rough & Tumble), or Jacktown (Blue Mtn show)? They had a rough time several years ago, and only now are recovering from the fallout. Some policy changes POed a lot of people off, and the small engine exhibits fell off about 80% in my opinion. the back field is only now recovering, last year it was about 2/3 full. hopefully, things will improve. As for Florida ??? Seems like many shows are going the flea Mkt route, to generate revenue. One wonders though, when does it stop being an engine show, and just becomes a flea market? the one at kinzers is now taking nearly the whole field across the street from the show. Jacktown is slowly going the same route. The back field no longer has venders that sell H&M engine parts, and also the small engine parts guys are nearly gone as well. Now about 90% Chinese crap and clothes! I know the shows need money to operate, but the original idea was to promote preservation and display of old engines, not to have a huge flea market that has people attending who have no idea on what the show was originally there for.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 02:44:04 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galan Hackman View Post
Was in Florida last week so took in a couple days at the show. Meet some friends hadn't seen in awhile and made some new ones.
Enjoyed the village.
Was wondering though if there use to be more engines in years past. Called flywheels show. I think it was 75% free-market, 20% tractors and 5% engine related.
Galan
Thank you Galen for attending the Florida Flywheeler show, like you I met many friends that I knew from northern shows. I think your numbers are off a little but it doesnít matter Along with the many buildings that we have full of engines we have a large vender and exhibitor field. It is first come first serve the club tries hard to promote exhibitors, if you had brought down just a few of your collection and showed it off you couldíve stayed with us for almost 10 days for free and your friend and your golf cart, at KOA prices thatís $400 weíre open for suggestions on how to beat that As for the people that come for just the (Fleamarket) sometimes a family in a cart, (with an old wagon wheel and a chicken made out of an old car tire) that they just bought will slow down enough to notice my display and I can explain it to them And they seem to understand and they may go home and study on their own and it makes me feel good -
enuf Said
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ifix71 For This Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 08:45:23 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
Have you attended the show at Kinzers PA (Rough & Tumble), or Jacktown (Blue Mtn show)?
I do attend the Jacktown shows all four. It is little over half hour drive from my house. I would say that there is not near as much engine things there as before. All ways enjoy going there because of being so close and a lot of friends to meet.
I don't attend Kinzers because of the problems from the past. Only have so much time off work so have to make a choose which ones to attend.

---------- Post added at 07:45:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifix71 View Post
If you had brought down just a few of your collection and showed it off...
enuf Said
I would have loved to bring some down but only had a week to send down there and my wife was along. Couldn't spend the whole week there.
Only get four weeks off work and have to choose the shows I attend. Some day will be retired and do more.
Thanks for the response.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galan Hackman For This Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 09:18:43 AM
Subscriber

I drive 6 hrs each way to show a small engine at Rough & Trouble from the moment they open until the show closes days later. It is my favorite show. I highly recommend it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank DeWitt For This Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 12:28:49 PM
Subscriber

i went to the florida flywheelers show two years ago ,was disappointed , there were very few small engines,the flea market was as andrew said ,mostly chinese junk and garage sale stuff, very little engine related stuff. and there were so many golf carts/gators it was almost impossible to walk around!! i wont be going back. on the positive note the club engines and displays were excellent.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:35:32 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,191 Times in 4,003 Posts

I like going to Jacktown and Kinzers. for the last few years, kids on lawn tractors has become a problem. I almost got run over by a kid on several occasions, at both places. I believe now both shows have placed restrictions, but not always enforced.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:54:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,314 Times in 595 Posts

I have been going to the Flywheelers show about the last 15 years. I like the show it has a lot to see, but does have a lot of flea market. I find it hard to get used to not having all the engines in one area and all the tractors in another. You never know what you are going to see around the next corner - tractor, flea market, engine, or ??
They are set up good for golf carts. They have nice wide aisles that are one way, to keep the carts moving easily. Also the spaces are set up so exhibitors can camp with their space.
As said earlier, the clubs displays are very nice. Another thing most shows don't have is lots of buildings with member collections. From what I understand the show owns the property and member owns the building to house their collection.
If you know going in that it is not set up like a "normal" show, and understand how it operates, it is an enjoyable show. Especially at 85F in February!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:40:04 AM
Registered-I

This was my first time attending this show and one of this type also. I have however attended other large type shows to include Hershey PA Antique car show in October several times and the Daytona Rod Run spring and winter shows most every year since 1984.
Over all I had a great time and really enjoyed the village but I agree with some of the observations here. It would be nicer to have all of the appropriate like things together and not spread out. That way If I wanted to walk the swap I could, and if I wanted to look at tractors or hit and miss engines I could. As it was it was confounding. I spoke with one engine display owner who has attended for many years and said he will never go back. The show admin put him in the middle of the flea market with no other engine displays around and he couldn't visit with all his old acquaintances and hardly no one stopped to watch or ask about his display. That was a shame.
Again, I want to state that I had a good time and it was very interesting and I will go again, but I would warn pedestrians, watch out for all the golf carts and other vehicles. They will run you over if you aren't paying attention!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:20:20 AM
Subscriber

FYI: February 2020 show will feature (Flywheel engines) should be a great turnout. The club has been trying to segregate the venders and exhibitors for years if you notice they are more Exhibitors to the west and vendors to the east on the show grounds but it ainít that easy, many of the attendees when told that say Iíve had my spot for 15 years I ainít moving!! Sheze! Its like herding cats!
But itís still all fun
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ifix71 For This Post: