Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin AEH Flywheel removal

this thread has 30 replies and has been viewed 5684 times

Old 09-27-2007, 01:27:34 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Wisconsin AEH Flywheel removal

Greg,
I can tell you that your engine is a 1947 mfg. from your serial#, probably fairly early in the year.
Peter
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2007, 07:33:40 PM
Subscriber

Greg -

It is a pin, but the assembly is not meant to come apart. You just unscrew the whole thing, like the ones cast as one piece of aluminum.

David
Old 09-27-2007, 10:42:12 PM
Registered-II

David,

Thank you for the explanation. By tomorrow, the Kroil should have been able to do its job, so I'll be finding out if the pullstarter is willing to come off.

Thanks again!

Greg
Old 09-27-2007, 10:54:26 PM
Registered-II

Hi Peter,

Isn't 1947 the last year for that particular engine? Somewhere, I think I read that in 1948, Ottawa went to a 7 hp engine instead of the 6 hp engine. Maybe they just changed engines, and the previous engine still continued in production, but just wasn't used in the Ottawa Buzz Master anymore.

Would you happen to know a good source for things like the gasket that goes in-between the block and the oilpan? I may just wind up making one, or may use form-a-gasket. From what I have seen so far, the gasket thickness is not going to be critical. Also, the engine could probably use a new set of rings. No smoke, but I believe that the compression is a bit low. For some of the older Briggs engines, the only way to check compression was to sharply spin the crank, and if the engine had compression, and crisply snapped back, then it was considered to be good. If the same is true for the Wisconsin, then it might need rings, as this engine does not crisply snap back. It does seem to start easily enough though.

Thank you for taking the time to look up the serial number!

Greg
Old 09-28-2007, 03:40:15 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,974 Times in 813 Posts

Sorry I haven't been able to post a picture, ( wife has camera). My rope starter looks just like yours Skyhawk, ( I used to have a Buick Skyhawk). I was gonna take the screen off to clean out rats nest and mud dobbers. When I saw the pin and couldn't get it to budge. I just took the 4 screws out that hold the screen and moved it around and used an air gun to blow everything out. I was affraid I might break something trying to get the rope starter off. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Anyway, I got everything all cleaned out. Got the mag firing and started it up. It ran pretty good. I shut it down and called the wife out to see it run. I pulled and pulled. Nothing! What's wrong with this peice of junk!!! I looked down and there was the fiber magneto coupling laying in 2 peices by the mag. If it ain't one thing it's 2.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:09:15 PM
Registered-II

Vern0n -

The need to remove the flywheel has temporarily been averted. The base gasket that is in-between the crankcase and the oilpan was leaking, so I just took the engine apart at that junction. This cleared the way for the jackshaft to be removed, which is what instigated this whole issue anyway. The jackshaft bushings needed to be replaced. The other benefit of this is that I made a new gasket to stop the leak. The oilpan on this was made by Ottawa and the Wisconsin engine was attached to it with four bolts. Rather strange. There is a pump in the oilpan that pumps oil up into a trough. This trough keeps the oil level correct for the prong on the end of the connecting rod to splash the appropriate amount of oil throughout the engine. I looked at the parts manual for the AEH, and this trough is not shown anywhere. It needed a new gasket for in-between the trough and the jackshaft, so I made a new one of those as well. If anyone wants to see a picture of the oilpan by Ottawa, I can post one on Monday.

As for the name Skyhawk, the board would not take my first choice, which was my name with my last initial. So I just picked my name and the name of an airplane. It worked.

Thank you for looking at your pull starter.

Greg
Old 09-30-2007, 10:32:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,688 Times in 526 Posts

Greg

The serial number of my Buzz Master is 19591

I have the Railway Express delivery receipt indicating it was delivered on April 9, 1947. This is correct because I also have a letter from Ottawa to the farmer dated Feb. 14, 1947 stating they had received full payment ( $377.50) and were behind in production and the saw would be shipped in about a month.

I bought mine at a farm auction about 2 miles from my home. The farmer that originally bought the saw was about three miles east of here.

In 60 years the saw stayed within 6 miles of it's orginal home.

Your machine must have been made within weeks of mine.

I looked at mine and it looks like the rope pulley should remove as stated above.

I will probably have to take the pulley and flywheel off of mine. I tried to start it this weekend and it doesn't have any spark. In order to get to the
magneto I will need to remove the engine shroud.

Mine is only single speed forward. They did make a two speed forward machine.

I have a cord wood saw attachment on mine. It was purchased in
Nov. of 1948. They also made a tiller attachment, post hole digger
and a sickle bar mower to mount on the machine.

I have a bunch of brush to cut down and I will video tape it when I get the engine running again.

Keep me informed as you progress with your machine.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:27:37 PM
Registered-II

GarysToys -

Are you sure that you have to remove the shroud to remove the magneto? The magneto came off of mine rather easily. I just lowered the drive mechanism to get it out of the way, and removed the two bolts underneath the mag that held it in place. It was out in a matter of maybe three minutes. The one on mine is a Wico X. It looks to be very close to the shroud, but amazingly, the shroud was not in the way. However, if you do take the shroud and flywheel off, I am interested in how it came off. Thanks for the info on dating the Buzz Master.

Whenever I acquire something new (to me), I always try to track down the history behind it. When was it made? Where was it delivered? Who had it first? What did they do with it? I have photos of previous owners of some of my tractors. They are kept in a binder for each individual tractor, and hopefully this binder will be kept with the tractor when it comes time to leave my hands. Every piece of equipment has a silent story that it is trying to tell. The people who owned them are part of the story. I also keep books and other paraphanalia for the time periods with each tractor, or antique piece of equipment. So, yes, it sounds neat that you know as much as you know about your saw. This is part of the intrigue of getting into this sort of thing!

Greg
Old 10-04-2007, 10:53:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,688 Times in 526 Posts

Greg

Thanks for the reply. I checked my engine after reading your response.
I think you are correct about removing the mag. I was hoping to remove the cover. But your idea appears to be easier.

All I have to do is get through the structure supporting the cord wood saw.

If you search my name and Ottawa Buzz Master you see pictures of my saw.

Once I get it running again and get a 105 inch belt I am going to video
sawing some shrubs with it.

I'll send you a notice.

There are also pictures of it and a story in the Feb or March 2006 issue of GEM about how I got started in this blasted hobby.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:59:55 PM
Registered-II

GarysToys,

I am very interested in seeing your video. When you get it, my address is gschilling at esilab dot com. This is my work address, which is high speed, instead of dialup like at home.

If somebody told me that the belt that came with mine was the original one that came with the saw, I would believe them. Is 105" the standard length? Or is yours different because of your options? Also, do you know what type of belt it is? It looks like maybe it used to be a B or a 5V.

Thank you,
Greg