Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

How do you Check a Stator on a Wisconsin TJD

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 5327 times

Old 12-10-2007, 06:20:15 PM
Registered-III

Default How do you Check a Stator on a Wisconsin TJD

Hello,
I usually don't work on the newer Wisconsin engines, but the guy at the local scrap yard found out I mess with old engines and asked me to do a tune-up on his TJD 2 cyl. engine that runs his shear out in the yard.(plus he's got some things I'm interested in engine wise ) It needs a carb kit real bad, as it leaks like a sieve and he wanted the mag "freshened" up with points and condenser. Another request was to get the charging system working again so it kept the battery charged up. Come to find out they had taken the regulator off of the engine, thinking for some reason, that it was a rectifier and it was bad! The thing is, they've been running it with the regulator off of the engine, and a battery is hooked up to the engine (for some reason). My question is, if the stator was still good when they pulled the regulator off of the engine, will running the engine with out a regulator, ruin the stator? Like I said they have a battery hooked up, but I have no idea if it's even a good battery. (I doubt it, as they stated they needed to carry a jump pack down to the shear every time they wanted to start the engine). How do you check a stator to see if it's any good? I have a multi meter, a coil tester(graham-lee tester), and in a few days I'll have a high tension leakage tester too! (off of ebay, I'm hoping it works) Oh, I also have a growler that I mainly use to check continuity, although I have played with a armature just to see if the growler worked, which it did. I'm always checking coils from different briggs and different mags, but I've never check a stator. None of my old ignition books tell how to check a stator like this.

Thanks!
Richard
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2007, 07:18:55 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: how do you check a stator on a Wisconsin TJD

Had a couple of TJDs at work and restored another and haven't seen a bad stator yet. All of the ones above were ran with damaged or missing regs or rectifiers. The are two most common stators are 10 amp and 25 amp. The 10 has a 3/8" flange and one 16 ga. red wire to ammeter. The 25 amp has a 5/8" wide flange (lamination) and a 14 ga green wire to the ammeter. Also the 25 amp system will have a 30 amp meter, and the 10 amp will have like a 15 or 20 amp meter.
The system has two plug in modules, the rectifier has a three wire plug, and the regulator has a two wire plug.

The 10 amp stator should ohm out as follows.
Black #1 to black #2 2.0 ohms
Black #1 to engine ground 1.0
Black #2 to engine ground 1.0
Black #1 to red 3.0
Black #2 to red 1.0

The 25 amp stator as follows:
Black #1 to Black #2 .40 ohms
Black #1 to engine ground .20
Black #2 to engine ground .20
Black #1 to red 3.20
Black #2 to red 2.80

The above is from the manual.
I measured the output of the stator, but can't remember the figures. Seems like it was about 30 volts across the blacks, and 17 volts from each black to ground.
The modules are very expensive but most of the problems are the result of carelessnes or abuse.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bill Geyer; 12-10-2007 at 07:33:08 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-10-2007, 07:42:11 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: how do you check a stator on a Wisconsin TJD

If your stator is good you can use a regulator of the appropriat size from a briggs,kohler,onan or whatever and you wont need the rectifier as it is integral to these.Your black wires are the AC IN.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:02:01 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: How do you check a stator on a Wisconsin TJD

Hello,
Bill, Thanks for the info, I'll copy it off and add it to my mag info 3 ring binder. I keep tidbits of info like that in a 3 ring binder so I know where it is. Now if I could just find that dang binder!
Ed, Do you have the B&S part numbers for a regulator/rectifier for a 10 amp and/or 25 amp stator? I'd also like to add that to my info binder.

Thanks!
Richard

Last edited by Meco3hp; 12-10-2007 at 08:08:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:10:01 PM
Registered-III

you can get briggs numbers from their website.the unit I have in minde is for the vangaurd twins but I think it fits several models
Old 05-12-2018, 03:22:54 PM
Registered

I have a TJD on an old Yazoo mower. The charging system hasen't worked for years. I put it on the charger every couple weeks. The 2 wire reg or req is there unhooked. The 3 wire unit is gone.
I have 3 wires coming from alternator area hooked to nothing. 2 black and a red. Looks more like a white wire with red paint flaking off.
I get 29 VAC between the 2 black wires.
I bought what was advertised as a Briggs replacement reg/rec off ebay $18. 2 yellow wires and a red wire.
I hooked the 2 black to the 2 yellow. Red wire to ground on DC setting I get 29V.
Im no electrical guy at all. Sound obvious?
What is the 3rd wire coming off the alternator for?
Did I hook it up wrong? Anything I should try?
Quickly touched the alternator red to black and got 29VAC.
I watched a briggs lawn mower youtube and it looked to simple.
thanks