Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Opinions on MEP-006A Generator

this thread has 46 replies and has been viewed 13731 times

Old 12-16-2010, 01:22:57 PM
Registered-III

Default Opinions on MEP-006A Generator

Some of the old timers here may remember me from a few threads I had on a smaller MEP generator and a couple of Onan generators.

Here's my current question. I have an opportunity to bid on a MEP-006A generator.

Do you think that it is way too big and inpracticable as a home backup generator to run a "whole house", 5000 square feet with basement?

Also, is it a troublesome generator, are parts hard to come by?

I will, unfortunately, be bidding on it sight unseen, but I have reasons to believe that the seller is not a crook.

Any thoughts will be GREATLY appreciated.

Igor

Picture is here:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/MEP-006A.jpg

Also an opinion on its value will be also appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2010, 02:39:21 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,154 Times in 914 Posts
Default Re: Opinions on MEP-006A generator

First welcome back, long time no see.

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is, this generator is designed for 3 phase use only, changing it to single phase would require rewiring and then your operating in an unknown territory for safe output, first the military units are over built as you likely know, however the general rule of thumb (at least for Onan built units) is to limit single phase output when reconnecting a standard (non extended stack) 12 lead generator to 2/3 of its 3 phase rating. This leaves us at 40 KW+ for the down rated output, based on the typical over built/under rated nature of these military units, it is probably a safe bet to say it could be rated at 50KW for single phase, if not more. Even then 40-50 KW is a lot of power for a home backup generator, if there are not special concerns. I have a 33KW Kohler diesel generator at my elderly mother's house which is similar in size to the house you are talking about. She lives on a farm with an all electric house (traditional electric resistive heat), water well, etc. In theory she can max out the 33KW output, in the summer this takes turning on all 3 central air conditioner units, running the hot water so all 4 electric water heaters are running at along with the well pump, plus the electric clothes dryer, the electric oven, and the electric stove, plus various lights. In the winter the generator will max out with 2 of the 3 electric heaters running, plus stove, and water heaters as described above, this is not a big issue as the house has 2 fire places and is well insulated, the fireplaces alone will keep the house comfortably warm when it is below freezing outside. These are again worst case conditions, on a typical nice spring day not cooking, or running heat or air conditioner her house draw is around 2-3kw, but she wanted a back up generator big enough to not worry about power management, so I ended up getting this one (I was shopping in the 20KW range, but found a deal), fuel supply is also not an issue, there is a 100 gallon tank at the generator, but also a 1,500 gallon tank in the barn about 1/8th mile away.

Ike

p.s. value is relative, assuming it is being sold as running condition, I would say somewhere between $3,500 - $8,500 it seems generators on trailers usually sell for more than they rationally should (value of used trailer + value of generator is less than when you combine them on a trailer)
Old 12-16-2010, 02:50:42 PM
Registered-II

Location: Auburn, CA. in the Sierra-Nevada Foothills on the way to Reno

Are you going to use it as your main source of power or just in emergencies? If just for emergencies, the MEP006A, 60 KW is way to large, maybe a 5 or 10 KW would work. Fuel consumption for the MEP-006A is about 6 gallons an hour at full load, so expensive to operate at todays fuel prices. I think parts are readily available but so may be expensive. I would suggust you make an inventory of all your electric loads, determine the wattage, double it for starting loads and see how many KW you need. If you decide to buy the set, I have all the Operating, Maintenance and Parts manuals for the MEP-006A for sale. Send me a PM on manuals if interested.
Thanks,
Don
Old 12-16-2010, 02:59:34 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassieRiver View Post
Are you going to use it as your main source of power or just in emergencies? If just for emergencies, the MEP006A, 60 KW is way to large, maybe a 5 or 10 KW would work. Fuel consumption for the MEP-006A is about 6 gallons an hour at full load, so expensive to operate at todays fuel prices. I think parts are readily available but so may be expensive. I would suggust you make an inventory of all your electric loads, determine the wattage, double it for starting loads and see how many KW you need. If you decide to buy the set, I have all the Operating, Maintenance and Parts manuals for the MEP-006A for sale. Send me a PM on manuals if interested.
Thanks,
Don
Don, thanks. Do you have paper manuals for sale, did I understand you right?

60 kW is really only 30-35 kW single phase.

That's still a lot of power of course, may be too much. I am just a sucker for military generators and Onans.

i

Last edited by BTPost; 12-16-2010 at 03:13:02 PM. Reason: Welcome Back Iggy... Merry Christmas...
Old 12-16-2010, 04:05:29 PM
Registered-II

Certainly you could use the MEP-006, but it is one big generator set for a home. It could be used to power a store or even a light factory...

As to manuals you can download from LOGSA, or if you want I think I have them at:

http://www.hipson.net/military/TM-5-...ower_Plant.pdf
http://www.hipson.net/military/TM-9-...5-24_Parts.pdf
http://www.hipson.net/military/TM-5-...aintenance.pdf
http://www.hipson.net/military/TM-5-...aintenance.pdf

You could print them if you wanted, but it will be a lot of paper! (They total about 22 MB of data...)
Old 12-16-2010, 05:41:04 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,396 Times in 3,000 Posts
Default Re: Opinions on MEP-006A Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichudov View Post
...MEP-006A generator.

Do you think that it is way too big and inpracticable as a home backup generator to run a "whole house", 5000 square feet with basement?...

I wouldn't call it "way too big", by any means, IF your house has typical electric HVAC, water heater(s), dishwasher, clothes washer/dryer etc.

A 5000 sq/ft house could have 7 to 10 tons of AC and maybe 30kw of electric strip heat. If your does then the MEP-006 would be reasonable in my estimation. My house is a third that size and I have seen it draw 20+kw.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:38:42 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,154 Times in 914 Posts

Another thing you need to think about anytime your dealing with a home standby generator is power management, in almost all cases power management is an important concern, either that of you have a massively oversized generator slurping down fuel running at less than 5% load the vast majority of the time. Given my location about 90 miles inland from the gulf coast, hurricanes are my main concern, and with hurricanes may come friends and relatives that are evacuating from most coastal areas. These people often have no concept of power management, when dealing with a relatively small generator in the typical home back-up 5-10KW range it is very easy for one or two of them acting at the same time to overload your generating capacity by using such relativley high draw items as hair driers, vacuum cleaners, and microwave ovens. However once you start getting into the larger (lets say 30+ KW) generators it gets very hard for one or two individuals using momentary (less than 5-10 minute) loads to overload the generator in any measurable way assuming it was not already being near or at its design limit (it is not like they are going to go out into your shop and plug in the arc welder without asking, and a 30+KW generator is barely going to feel a 1.5KW hair drier).

Ike

p.s. on a trivia note one of the military post rebuild test requirements for generators is for them to run at 110% capacity for 1 hour after they have warmed up to operating temperature
Old 12-16-2010, 07:22:36 PM
Registered-III

Well, guys, for better or worse, I won it! If I find it not to be suitable for my house, I will just sell it.

May be another little fun generator adventure.

I will surely be back about it. I will have to fill out the EUC paperwork (Do NOT get me started!!!!!!!).

i
Old 12-16-2010, 07:47:34 PM
Registered-II

Location: Auburn, CA. in the Sierra-Nevada Foothills on the way to Reno

Just send me a Private Message PM as can't give you a price on this site. You can get them for free but it does cost paper and ink and time. Just let me know what you want to do.
Thanks,
Don
Old 12-16-2010, 09:14:40 PM
Registered-II

You should familiarize yourself (if not already aware) with the term "wet-stacking" on lightly loaded diesel engines.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Mc For This Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 09:34:37 PM
Registered-III

I thought that wet stacking is what we do with my wife once in a while.

i
Old 12-16-2010, 09:37:20 PM
Registered-I

yes wet slacking could be a problem if you dont load it enough. I run a complete fire station on a 30 kw meps this includes water well, heat, lights ,compressors,door openers and alot of outside lighting and kitchen. I think 60 kw is over kill for a home unit. and it will require rewiring or using it at 120/208 on two legs (this is ok if you know your motor loads will run on 208)
Old 12-16-2010, 09:40:20 PM
Registered-III

I hope that there is a voltage adjustment. Then I could have 125/125 volts on two legs, and 216 volts on two legs. 216 is close enough to 220.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:48:00 PM
Registered-I

you will get about that with the voltage adjust. and remember running off 2 legs instead of 3 you reduce the power output by about 1/3 so if a 30kw you get about 20kw. these units will take alot of overload(thank you Uncle Sam) they are really under rated
Old 12-16-2010, 10:00:00 PM
Registered-III

Talking Opinions on MEP-006A Generator

Here's the generator in its glory. Pictures are from Government Liquidation.

I will pick it up only when my EUC is approved.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/MEP-006A/

Some pictures are attached... 800 hours on the meter after overhaul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29612782.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	95410   Click image for larger version

Name:	29612788.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	95411   Click image for larger version

Name:	29612791.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	95412   Click image for larger version

Name:	29612794.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	95413  
Old 12-19-2010, 05:11:52 PM
Registered-III

Looks good, I would love to see a video of a start up.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:17:39 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Opinions on MEP-006A Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930dreamer View Post
Looks good, I would love to see a video of a start up.
I will definitely do so!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:37:54 AM
Registered-I

I am new to this forum. This is actually my first post. I too recently won a MEP-006a mounted on a M200a1 trailer. I bought this under the impression I would be using this unit to power my house. After winning this beast I come to find it is way overkill. Is there going to be an issue using this 3 phase generator to power a home? I will continue to search this forum in the meantime. Thanks
Old 12-29-2010, 02:21:46 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts

big issues are
1 keeping it in fuel, however a diesel is more efficient under part loading than spark ignited engines

2 keeping it loaded well enough to run up to normal temperature and not begin slobbering lubricating oil and unburned diesel out the exhaust as a result of the cooler than normal operating temps. Good thermostats are a must, but even that's not all of the story, the exhaust etc need to get up to a good hot temperature to keep all the nasties burned off. The temperature of these parts is primarily related to the load on the engine.

3phase supplying a single phase load is not much of a problem as long as you do not exceed the amperage rating on any one line. You usually cannot get full rated power out of it because of not using the whole of the generator copper and iron when on single phase. Some generators have enough extra built in to be able to deliver full rated kW, others do not. Check your rating tag.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Rankin For This Post:
Old 12-29-2010, 08:56:53 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,507 Times in 799 Posts

For what its worth, from a trivia perspective, the MEP-006 was a very good unit.

Ran many for 24/7 prime power operation to overhaul.

After an eight-hour rebuild break-in sequence on the load bank, we'd "dyno" test them for a very short time. A fresh 3500 Allis will pull 90 KVA. As a matter of fact, its kind of funny they got the external droop adjustment on the fuel pumps, as the governor does not do a whole lot within the rated KW. But, I noted that from 75 to 90 KVA, the engine lost almost no rpm's, and you could see the fuel pumps governor respond to the load change (at which point we figured we were into borrowed time for the health of the engine!)

I've never done the research to convert one to single phase. Long-distance assisted a gentleman once who was converting one to 240 delta for well service--worked good he said, other than the percent of load would not read, but amps/volts/hertz did. PM me if you'd like to see the correspondence about what was done to convert it. You'll definitely want wiring diagrams, and study them well first, to trace out all affected components.

I think they are a good unit, and if you have more than 20 KW load, it wouldn't be a bad unit for short outages. Past experience shows that they usually consume just over 6.5 gal/hr at 75 KVA load bank testing.

eric
The Following User Says Thank You to EricWood For This Post: