Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Taylor Vacuum Engine

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 5038 times

Old 02-13-2007, 08:18:32 PM
Registered-III

Default Taylor Vacuum Engine

I was wondering if anyone owns one of these engines. There is an auction coming up with one of these engines. Yellow book says that there were 1,000's made. Wondering if anyone knows what they are going for? There is also a Dempster engine there to. Any help will be appreciated. DAn
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2007, 08:29:07 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Taylor Vacuum Engine

Hi, i did have one but I sold it a couple of years ago for $600. It ran real well. I don't think they would go for much more. Problem is keeping the piston well oiled. Dick in the snowy Finger Lake Region of NYS.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:49:39 PM
Registered-III

Thank you Dick, I suppose they were hard to keep oiled because the vacuum was run by the piston of the engine. Thank You DAn
Old 02-13-2007, 09:19:17 PM
Registered-II

Hello Dan,I own a Taylor Vacume engine and I think I paid $700.00 for it a couple of years ago.It was in good orig. condition and had the vacume valve on the side which is sometimes missing.I got it because it has a stepped piston and a stepped bore.I usually run a bit of two-stroke oil in the gas to be sure it is getting lubricated but this may be unnecessary since I'm not milking cows with it.The book says that you can flip the check valve on the side and compress air with it but I've never tried it.I just thought it was interesting. Chip
Old 02-13-2007, 09:37:55 PM
Registered-III

I really appreciate both of you guys for your input. The price is about what I thought I would pay if I really wanted it.I think I might try to buy it, I doesn't mention the condition but its unique and I would like to have one. The Dempster looks interesting to, its a left handed starting engine.Everything is on opposite side as a "normal" engine. Thank you Dan
Old 02-13-2007, 10:42:16 PM
Registered-III

I've got a Taylor as well. Mine has the teardrop flywheels and the valve cage, but the valve discs inside were missing. I paid $625 for mine at an auction that took a little tinkering to get it going (all were garaunteed to run or my money back...i wasn't going to take back my money).

The manual says to run 2 stroke oil in the gas as the oiler only lubricates the vacuum half of the piston. I tried capping off one end of the check valve cage with a drain tap on the opposite side so it could still breath and it nearly kills the engine. This is with new rings and the piston machined for the rings. Seems like it ought to run a little stronger than it does, but i've only tried to work it once on a David Bradley feed grinder. They are not rare, but you don't see boatloads of them like you do with IHC's, JD's, Fairbanks's, economy's, etc. Something a little different to have. Most were made from the early-mid 20's through the early 30's. Mine is a 1932 vintage.

Jeb
Old 02-13-2007, 10:57:48 PM
Registered-III

I own one also. If you want some more info, I have a web site showing my Taylor engine at:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/inzero/

-Rick
Old 02-14-2007, 09:25:43 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,073 Times in 652 Posts

Dan, worked on one a few weeks ago. The vac. end had been removed. It was fired on a buzz coil. Never had a Wico, never a place to mount it. Seemed to have needed a running mag. The bracket was there to mount it on. Very neat and well designed wipe system for buzz coil.(factory also) It was a T/G engine. However, NO gov. Had a little screw to regulate the butterfly in the carb. This was factory. A great running engine one of the slowest running T/G I've seen in a while.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:46:20 PM
Registered-III

JH;

I have NEVER seen a taylor like the one you describe. There is no mention of any throttler taylors in the BYB and I have never heard of one, nor mention of one. Could the Taylor you describe have been built by a different taylor company? If it had the 2-step piston, then we are talking about the same brand.

The mag bracket was built into the spark plug mount casting (kinda like how a mag is attached to an ignitor bracket on a lot of engines). If someone made a new plate for the spark plug hole there would be no place for a mag to mount. To my knowledge, ALL taylors had 2-step pistons, ALL were hit and miss, and ALL had the simple needle type mixer with no butterfly. The one oddball Taylor that I saw at a show in Iowa was one with a rock island style base to it, ignitor fired, and a webster mag. Never even heard of an ignitor Taylor since even the style A was spark plug fired.

Jeb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43630036.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	16555  
Old 02-14-2007, 08:35:07 PM
Registered-III

Mine was H/T with ignitor. It was I think, a Syle B. There were a couple different styles and maybe three. I don't remember, I guess it is because I am getting old. But it was a good runner most of the time. I used to add extra oil through the vaccum pipe. It actually had quite a bit of pressure on the bottom side and I alway was going to run an old model steam engine that my father had built in 1913 as part of his engineering college. Never did though even though I thought it was good idea. Dick in the very snowy Finger Lake Region of NYS.