Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Erd Engine Rebuild

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 537 times

Old 06-17-2018, 04:51:01 PM
Registered

Question Erd Engine Rebuild

I'm currently stripping the erd engine from my monarch neverslip that I've recently acquired , I have pretty much stripped it for re building but just have the camshaft and cam followers to remove. Unfortunately the cam followers are stuck solid so I'm unable to turn the crankshaft to remove it. This also makes it awkward to get at the followers from underneath. The followers appear to run through a guide which is inserted into the block these guides to me appear to be made from lead or white metal but I'm fairly confident they are lead. As a result of this I'm very loathed to apply any heat to try and free them. Can anyone on here confirm that the guides are in fact lead or white metal ? And has anyone found a successful way of removing these ? Any help appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3605.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	312626  
The Following User Says Thank You to Rushton1980 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2018, 05:26:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,483 Times in 276 Posts
Default Re: Erd Engine Rebuild

The guides are lined with babbit. When we rebuilt the last Erd engines we repoured the babbit then made a rectangular broach out of tool steel to clean them out a little for clearence.

Joe P
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe P For This Post: