Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Hume Tractor

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 8099 times

Old 06-27-2018, 02:11:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,763 Posts
Default Re: Hume Tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Blaney View Post
If that is the case, I have a hunch as to where it is (for now). That tractor will most likely be flipped.
For some time now a local automobile restoration shop have had their eyes on the antique tractor hobby, trying to make a quick buck putting lipstick on items and then attempting to resell them.
As far as I can tell, they haven't had much success moving their stock from the state of their yard...
I am glad to see that another one managed to stay North (For now) but i hope it does not get flipped and sold only to end up across the border.Maybe Mr Willikers knows somebody needing another antique tractor down in his neck of the woods or maybe he could aquire it as it would go great with his other Beaver/Heider tractor
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2018, 02:21:13 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,060 Times in 2,664 Posts

All it takes is for someone to step up to the plate with the cash!
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 02:47:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,019 Times in 320 Posts

Naturally, money talks. This tractor has been around to shows and called Southern Ontario home for years. I just found it odd that no local collectors showed any real interest in this Heider and "stepped up" as you say. It was sold into Bradford, but as I stated earlier, its fate is unkown.
That is always the risk of putting your items up for auction I suppose!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Blaney For This Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 04:46:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,116 Times in 695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Blaney View Post
If that is the case, I have a hunch as to where it is (for now). That tractor will most likely be flipped.
For some time now a local automobile restoration shop have had their eyes on the antique tractor hobby, trying to make a quick buck putting lipstick on items and then attempting to resell them.
As far as I can tell, they haven't had much success moving their stock from the state of their yard...
That's not "The Guild" shop is it? I know he is a tractor collector.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 06:39:38 PM
Subscriber

Yes. That was the shop I was referring to. Perhaps I spoke out of turn, but it was my understanding they have been "dealing" old iron recently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Blaney For This Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 07:48:02 PM

Thanked 19,873 Times in 5,861 Posts

I imagine the current exchange rate of $1 US = $1.33 Canadian had something, or everything, to do with the tractor coming stateside.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 02:06:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,763 Posts

I think the Hume tractor is what must have also kept the selling price down on the Heider tractor as the Hume tractor seemed to be the star attraction in this sale and everybody's interest was with that tractor.Maybe if it had of been sold in one of the prior sales or a future sale it might have been shown more interest by the buying public same goes for the other iteams in the sale
Old 06-28-2018, 07:40:24 PM
Subscriber

Craig, I agree with you regarding the buying power of the current American dollar. The exchange rate certainly has consequences based on what line of work you are in to, and which side of the 49th you live on. We are not sure if the tractor has actually gone south as of yet but based on the online bidder info, Bradford, Ontario is a definite possibility.

John, I think the Hume tractor brought good money, which somewhat offests the realized price of the Heider. Personally, I have never been a fan of buyers premiums. One has to really do the math and know when to put the brakes on so to speak. A 15% buyers premium, plus the 13% sales tax certainly puts a damper on bidding unless the item is something you are really serious about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Blaney For This Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 11:10:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,774 Times in 756 Posts

I doubt the Hume had any real effect on the Heider, totally different buyers class for the two. the Hume is one of a kind, the price was in range with others in its class and rarity. DD was the back up bidder on the Hume. The problem with the Heider may have been a combination of a few things, but it was a decently advertised sale with online bidding and a strong exchange rate so it could have brought a lot more.

1. lack of communication by the auctioneer in part. (I asked for photos of the engine and some additional info and never even got a response. I also got no confirmation that my request for shipping was acknowledged. The only communication was when they sent an invoice and then finally shipped.) Considering the odd bulge in the hood, I am sure there was some concern as to what was going on there.

2. The price of Heider C's has dropped the past few years. Look at the number of C's sold in the last few years and especially the one that sold late last year in California. Simply enough changing hands that the market has dropped, especially outside of the more collector dense regions.

3. I've noticed that prices have been soft on a lot of sales I've watched lately, even well advertised, well attended sales in the Midwest run by major auctioneers. Being where it was, it probably scared off a few buyers from the US, but if someone was serious about wanting one, it could have been arranged.

Besides the C currently for sale at Biewers, theres another one on a sale in Canada coming up and at least one more coming to auction this fall in the Midwest and maybe as many as two more. It will be interesting to see what they bring after these last couple of sales and being back in the Midwest.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paul Searl For This Post: