Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

1929 JD "D" Advice Needed for Easier Starting

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 2232 times

Old 06-26-2018, 06:55:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,277 Times in 343 Posts
Default Re: 1929 JD "D" Advice Needed for Easier Starting

I always turn on the gas then prime. I then turn the gas off befire trying to start. Seems to work most of the time but sometimes it will still flood especially if some one is watching.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2018, 08:47:02 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,662 Posts

That pto idea brings up a incident that happened here back in the 70s. My future father in law had an older IHC baler with the cub motor on top, the thing was tired and if stalled when hot it was almost impossible to restart. He wasn't about to waste any money to simply fix the motor! Sometimes it meant the end for the day. Well pappy got the idea to use a pto extension shaft with a modified connection to the motor to start it. Simply back an extra tractor to the side, hook up the shaft and let the tractor do the work, in theory. He proudly told me of his device one day, I didn't see it but thought of a few drawbacks that I worried about. There isn't any clutch on the motor, it's belt drive does the clutching action. What happens when the engine starts and the drive goes flying off? I guess it got by a few times but one day when I dropped by to visit, lo and behold there sat a brand new shinney Massey # 12 baler! what a shock! Small farmers never ever bought new balers, you always scrounged up what ever used relic you could find and made do. And pappy was tighter with his cash than most others! His daughter ( my girl friend) told me that the day before he was baling and something happened and he came back a bit white eyed and called the local dealer about a baler. Dealer responded ( he knew well pappy's reputation for economy) that the only thing he had was the new one just received and not quite set up! Pappy told him to bring it, no price asked or haggling! Oh and take that other Bastard with you, I don't care what you do with it! He never discussed with me or anyone else what happened, I can only guess that his device almost got him at some point! BTW, we still have the Massey and it hasn't given as much as a moments trouble after all these years! Looking back, if he had hooked up his drive to the baler flywheel instead of the engine, it would have worked, get the baler in motion and use the belt to engage the motor then release the belt when it starts, then stop the pto and unhook.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:31:19 PM
Subscriber

The procedure for starting my '27 D is this. Make sure it is in neutral and apply park brake. Turn on fuel and wait to see if fuel overflows out of air cleaner. If so, lightly tap carb. with rubber hammer to stop this. Retard spark advance by pulling handle back, then open the throttle just enough to bring it off of idle. (That is important on mine as it does not like to start well at any more than 1/2 throttle). Open both compression release valves. Flip the impulse switch on the magneto. Mine has no priming cups so I just choke it and roll it over till it fires then open choke. Close compression release valves, then advance the timing till it sounds good. I have been thinking about sending my carburetor off to have it professionally rebuilt someday. Hope this helps. Chris.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:45:21 PM
Subscriber

I like to belt start tractors that are stubborn , it is a safe method if by yourself. I suggested this to a friend of mine some years back. I got a bewildered call from him ,said his tractor had suddenly no oil pressure . I asked if he put a twist in the belt, what for he said, to make it turn the right way was my answer. I have thought about making a pto drive setup and a gear box to reverse the drive in the right direction. Has anyone done that? My neighbor starts his D7 Cat thru the winch drive which turns the right way for direct drive. Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to VossD For This Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 05:59:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,110 Times in 692 Posts

My thinking on the pto attatchment was to cup the crank handle, best as I can describe it. Not to be hooked up solid to anything.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:56:52 AM
Subscriber

An old gentleman near me had a d4 cat that the pony motor knocked he had a gear box that was 1 to 1 reverse rotation that he used on the pto of the d4 and one of his fordson majors to start the d4, worked well because the d4 had hand clutch.
In another thread a person posted a picture of retro fitted diesel in a 15-30 McCormick Deering with a crank up spring device for starting like briggs engines used to have. Those might be real popular with older collectors if were available. Jim
Old 07-04-2018, 05:28:29 PM
Registered-I

You have a leaking head gasket or head, my w-111 (same as the D) would start after one turn of the flywheel on choke then take choke off and itd fire right up but I always drain the water after Im done running it so the first start would be fine but after Id run it a while and try to restart it Id have a hell of a time and I noticed like a mist would blow out of the exhaust then it would run ok so I filled it up with water and ran a boroscope in the spark plug hole and I could see a tiny bead of water run down between the valves every few minutes, anyway my head was cracked so I had another one redone and everything was good. The way your oil looks your definitely getting water in it youre now head is probably ok but either the gasket or lead washers are probably the culprit , you may already know but you are supposed to use two washers on each head stud. Hope this may help you .
Old 07-14-2018, 07:22:39 PM
Registered

Well after much head scratching and backbreaking labor turning that beast of a flywheel over I finally am able to start this more reliably. I originally set the impulse to spark at the "L.H. RETARD SPARK" mark at the 3 o'clock position, this would cause a lot of backfiring so I put a borescope in the spark plug hole and found that TDC was actually about 12 degrees after the "L.H. RETARD SPARK" mark. I set the impulse spark to fire a degree or 2 after the actual TDC and low and behold it starts much easier now, some mentioned priming the cylinders with a ton of gas, they are correct, I would add 1/4 cup of gas to each cylinder and within 10 revolutions of hand cranking it would start.
Now that the tractor has run for a total of an hour or so after putting on the new cylinder head it is much easier to turn over by hand, my new starting procedure is, petcocks open, throttle 1/2 open, mag trip on, hold choke open with one hand and turn flywheel over with the other hand until I'm as close to #1 TDC as possible and wait for a second until the air stops rushing out then roll it over repeat for #2 cylinder, within a 2 couple of revolutions is will pop or start, if it just pops let go of the choke and within a couple more turns will usually starts.
I also had the bowl off the carb many times checking the float level and fine-tuning the float level to 5/8"

Now the problem is I can't get this tractor to run over 650 RPM's, started a new thread on this. https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179256

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmklawt For This Post: