Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

My Road Roller's about a foot taller again...

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 6605 times

Old 07-09-2012, 02:00:45 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,603 Times in 3,632 Posts
Photo My Road Roller's about a foot taller again...

After slowly sinking in the ground for the last 10-12 years I decided it was time to pull the old Buffalo Springfield roller out of the hole to higher ground again.

Last time I used my old crew cab dually 4x4 to do the job, but since I scrapped that out last year, and I now have my loader tractor for sale on eBay, I figured I should get it pulled out again while the tractor was still here. I don't think my car would be able to do it.

Now that it's up on top of the earth again, it's about a foot taller than it was. Guess maybe I should move it more often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	139321   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	139322   Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	139323   Click image for larger version

Name:	d.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	139324  

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 09:48:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,034 Times in 1,311 Posts
Default Re: My Road Roller's about a foot taller again...

Good lord Otto,
That thing is an iron fortified beast! Do you know what year it is and what that monster weighs?
Couldn't Hollywood use it in a movie?
Visual inspection boils up images of an ill-manored offspring from a Case X-motor and a 1950 Nash...
If I may...what are you going to do with it?
Thanks for interesting pictures,
Tony
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 09:57:23 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,806 Times in 2,956 Posts

Uh, maybe you need to pour a patch of that-there cee-ment to keep it from trying to root itself into the ground!

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 10:29:06 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,111 Posts

You might want to do as Elden suggested. It looks like it was on it's way to China the slow way!!LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil Johnson For This Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 12:54:47 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Thompson View Post
... Do you know what year it is and what that monster weighs?

...If I may...what are you going to do with it?
Thanks for interesting pictures,
Tony
I had always thought it was a mid to late 1920s as the only pattent date on the operating tag is Feb. 20th 1923, but in another thread on a similar B-S roller in Canada with a slightly lower builders number on it someone commented that they contacted someone that checked the record books and found it was (I think) a 1941 model, so that makes mine quite a bit newer than I originally figured. (and had been told)

I bought it 18-20 years ago just because I thought it was kind of neat, and joked about using it as a lawn roller, (just stay away from the septic tank!), then I had visions of doing a full scale version of an old Tom Daniels Monogram model kit that I built in the early 70s with a blown V8 in it with Zoomies exhaust only my version would have been with a 455 Pontiac with adapter plates to mount my Dads old Wieand Drag Star Intake log manifold with 6 Stromberg 2 barrels on it (& Zoomies), but since it is relatively complete other than the front 1/2 of the hood and a few small odds & ends, I will eventually just get the Waukesha 6 cylinder up and running again and leave it as is.

A couple years after I bought it, I found a picture of myself checking out the engine in it as a teenager, so it was almost destiny that I would eventually own it.

When I first bought it, I was told it was a 1927 or 28, but it's hard to say for sure without finding it in the record books. I was told it weighs 9 Ton, but I never ran it accross a scale to know for sure. They made 6 or 7 different sizes of this model. The engine was Lightly Stuck when I got it, but I broke it loose and had it turning over good but never put gas in it to try to start it. Every winter it would sieze up but then turn over again the next spring until one spring it didn't free up. I let it set a few years like that and then broke it loose again only to find the mag didn't click anymore so I pulled it off and put it in the basement but then never got around to tearing into it. I was working 60-85 hours weeks at the time & never had much time for anything else, and now I'm kind of burned out with little ambition, not to mention having health problems & a severe lack of funds to work on it with at the moment. (which is why I'm selling the loader tractor) One of these days though I hope the financial situation turns around, and then if/when the health and weather co-operate with each other, maybe I will get something done with it if I don't end up selling it without ever getting it going again.

The last time it sank in like that, I hitched my Crew Cab Dually on it and tried pulling it out but just ended up rocking it back and forth and burying it even deeper until it just about had the frame rails setting on the ground. Then I got creative and wrapped chains around the rear wheels and ran them up under the front bolster and walked it right out of the holes. Knowing I would have to do that again anyway, I started out with the chains on the rear wheels and discovered that my little loader tractor doesn't have anywhere near the pulling power that the old crew cab did.... But it got it out on the forth try after digging a more gradual ramp for it to crawl up. Where there's a will there's a way. I SHOULD pour the holes full of cement and then I would have my pads to set it on, but I haven't decided yet if that's where I want it to set permanently.

It last ran in the mid 1970s at the Stephenson County Antique Engine Club's threshing show in Freeport Illinois, after one of the club members that used to work for the Highway department got them to donate it to the club and a few of them worked on it and got it running at that time. As far as I know the Stephenson County Highway Department bought it new and it has spent its entire life IN Stephenson County Illinois having paved a lot of the roads that I drive on. The radiator leaks, so when it was run back in the 70s they reversed the thermostat housing and used the water tank for spraying the rollers as a cooling tank, but with no cooling fins it ran hot, so it was only run a few times and then parked until they ran it through an Estate sale for one of the club members and that's when/where I bought it. So.... once I do finally get it running again, I will still need to fix the radiator.

There's a few oddities about these rollers, one of which is that with the front roller/bolster being in the way, you can't crank the engine from the front, so it has a shaft running back through the transmission and you hand crank it counter clock wise from the operators platform. It also has 2 clutches in it, one in front of the transmission and one behind it so you can instantly reverse the roller in any gear. Which reminds me.... the shift levers are also stuck tight. I have no idea what gear it is in, but I can go forward and reverse at least, once I get it running.

In the mean time, it makes one Fine Looking Lawn Ornament.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Speaking of the lawn...... it looks a little dry doesn't it.

We've had maybe a 1/2 inch of rain in the last couple months or more, so things are getting a little dry and crunchy. 1st picture was either from last year or earlier this spring when there was some grass in the yard.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 02:19:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,258 Times in 4,198 Posts
Thumbs up Re: My Road Roller's about a foot taller again...

Otto Congrats,

Well you have bought it a long time ago but it is still an wonderful machine.

Keep us up to date of what you are doing with it.

Chris,
The Following User Says Thank You to Brothers Clemens For This Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 04:56:36 PM
Subscriber

Wink Re: My Road Roller's about a foot taller again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothers Clemens View Post
....Keep us up to date of what you are doing with it.

Chris,
I probably shouldn't admit to this.... but.... it makes a real good Anvil and Iron Worker when needed.

I've used it to straighten out a few engine cart handles, used the axle hubs for forms for bending a couple sheppards hooks for a friend to use for hanging flower pots on, bent up a replacement shifter linkage for my Firebird using various locations on the frame as bending jigs. I even used it and a come-a-long to pull the front bumper on my truck back out after an accident 15 years ago.

Handy little piece of Iron to have laying around.

And it gives the Rabbits another place to hide.

One of these years I'll get the mag checked out and back on it, fill the radiator and see how bad it is, and go from there.

Since my 7 ton tilt bed trailer probably isn't quite heavy enough to haul it, if and when I do get it going I will likely Drive it into Freeport for the Threshing Show. It's only around a 9 mile trip though it may be a rough ride bouncing over the bad roads along the way with No suspension and no seat.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 11-22-2014, 06:03:58 PM
Subscriber

Red face Re: My Road Roller's about a foot taller again...

As much as I hated to do it, I finally broke down put this old beast on eBay.

I've always used it as a back drop in the pictures of other items I sold over the years and have had people from Ireland, Australia, and other places ask about it but I never wanted to sell it. Still don't really want to part with it, but needing money to get caught up on property taxes kind of forces a person to change their mind.

I'm not going to post an auction link on here but thought I'd let people on here know it was available so they can look for it if interested. I don't think I'm out of line with my start price (or reserve without paying a reserve fee) but I probably am a bit high on the buy it now price. Though in comparison it is a lot lower than that Case steam engine that used to appear regularly on there.

And, even though as they say "Money Talks", I offered a 10% discount for any local buyers just to TRY to keep it in Stephenson County where it's been since new. Of course that doesn't apply to 99.99% of the members on here, but I thought I'd let you know anyway.

For the eBay Haters out there..... I included the PayPal Requirement for bidding. The main reason being that I've had several people the last couple years register with eBay the day they bid on my stuff and then never pay. As near as I can figure it's usually the scammers doing that for Identity Theft schemes bidding on things just to get a persons name address and phone number sent to them from eBay as the winning bidder. Anyone can register with eBay with little or no verification. To register with PayPal they have to include their financial information and very few scammers will do that. THAT is why I added the PayPal requirement even though it is listed as Local Pickup Only with CASH as a payment option. It may not stop All the scammers, but at least it slows them down.

IF it sells, I'm gonna miss the old beast. But I'm sure I would miss my house a lot more if I don't get the back taxes paid.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 11-22-2014, 06:07:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,146 Times in 526 Posts

Damn IRS.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Colwell For This Post:
Old 11-22-2014, 06:18:57 PM
Subscriber

It's not the IRS it's the Local Property Taxes I'm behind on.
I don't owe the IRS a dime right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post: