Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Townsend Manufacturing Company

this thread has 65 replies and has been viewed 8465 times

Old 04-15-2015, 01:44:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,240 Times in 673 Posts
Default Re: Townsend Manufacturing Company

Here is the one at the Reynolds-Alberta Museum. We call it a 15-30, and I believe that is the size. We have called it a 1919, but I am not sure by what reasoning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139 web.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	223429  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Randy Kvill For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2015, 05:58:28 PM
Registered

I would say it could be older, but I'm not sure when they quit using chain steering. I am guessing 1919 or 1920.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Is that green paint sneaking out from under the black paint? Looks good. Thank you

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

I have seen green Townsends and black townsends going in for restoration that appeared to be green under the black. We're they originally green. I think the Fair Mor Townsends were black.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:41:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 9,986 Times in 963 Posts

Used to own this large fold-out poster:

wahlengines.com
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Wahl For This Post:
Old 04-16-2015, 12:05:00 AM
Registered

The Townsend tractor is a fascinating little machine, with boiler frame construction to make it look more "traditional". The radiator is an actual boiler. The stack provides a vacuum that draws air through the flues to cool the water. A simple pump run by a belt from the flywheel circulates the water. The oil reservoir is located with the driver controls, and pumps oil directly to the pistons. If you open the door in front of the steering wheel, you can see the pistons in action, and if you look below the pistons you can see the ground. Once the oil works it's way out of the engine, it simply drips to the ground. I am yet to see a Townsend that runs, and is driven, be spotless (maybe this is an ingenious rust prevention plan, haha). The carberator has an unsealed hinged lid to add gas for initial start up. The air intake is a short pipe near the carberator without an air filter. The driver controls the air/fuel mixture with a turn knob near the steering wheel.

I once heard a story of some kids who liked to fill the stack with chicken feathers so that when their dad fired it up, feathers would shoot into the air of the barn. It was not stated, but I am willing to guess this only happened once.

I appreciate all of the photos and show information, and look forward to more posts on the topic. The photos have really been great! I will have to check the calendar and see if I can attend some shows where Townsends are being displayed.

Thank you again, - Jeremiah

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

Jeff - that is cool. That appears to be an earlier model poster with the chain steering. I bet if you could see the front of the radiator it would say Townsend Oil Tractor. I believe later models have the TMC logo on the front. Thanks
Old 04-16-2015, 12:21:32 AM

Thanked 19,865 Times in 5,858 Posts

Regarding the chain steering.
They should have stuck with it as the, so called, auto steer (not to be confused with GPS......LOL ) wasn't worth a damn.
Miserable steering things........
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 04-16-2015, 09:51:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,094 Times in 382 Posts

http://www.farmcollector.com/tractor...3sepzbea.aspx?

Hope this helps
Old 04-16-2015, 03:05:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,085 Times in 864 Posts

You can see by Jeremy's post the 30-60 at Rollag is an impressive tractor however when you stand next to it it's not as impressive as say a 30-60 Rumely or even a 30-60 lightweight Rumely. It's still one of my favorites. When Norman Pross first brought it to Rollag I was supposed to be the operator for the parades. When I went to run it through its first parade Norman was having trouble with it running right. So I ended up going back to our display and he eventually got it running and someone else ran it. Which is ok. Our display takes a lot of my time for extra curricular activities. But I still make a point to look at it each year.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:17:08 PM

Thanked 19,865 Times in 5,858 Posts

I know I have this photo posted elsewhere here but here it is again.
The portable we got from John Tysse.
We had do some improvising as no portable photos exist that I ever found.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Townsend power unit.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	223470  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 04-16-2015, 05:34:34 PM
Registered

I had heard about the portable some time back, but this is the first time I've seen a photo. Thanks

(Craig here: I KNOW I have other photos.......maybe on an old CD.......I'll look later.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeremiah For This Post:
Old 04-16-2015, 09:11:55 PM
Registered-III

One of the buildings still stands in Janesville. Pete Burno used to know Roy.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Wisconsin Historical Society has some advertisements up in their Visual Materials Collection.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guy Fay For This Post: