Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

KTA M&M Minneapolis Moline Twin City Project

this thread has 91 replies and has been viewed 9687 times

Old 01-29-2018, 02:41:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,199 Times in 733 Posts
Default Re: KTA M&M Minneapolis Moline Twin City Project

Well, I guess I decided on a prairie gold variation, got it wheeled up and put away in the shed for poor weather tinkering. There are some KTA's around here, seems like most all of them ended up repainted gold and red so I decided to keep that theme going for no other reason than I REALLY like that combination. What else could you expect from a grey/red McCormick guy?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01313.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	301688   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01311.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	301691  

Last edited by Russ Hamm; 01-29-2018 at 02:58:10 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2018, 06:08:27 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,239 Times in 381 Posts

Most of the pre 1938 Minneapolis-Moline (Twin City) tractors around here were re-painted Yellow after the color change of 1938. If you didn't have a new yellow one you could make your old one look like a new one. In my young days of collecting I got my uncles 1935 21-32 that he bought new. He had cut the fronts down and put on rubber but he saved the rear steel and bought factory rubber wheels for the rear. He did not want to have the same problem as his brother, My Grandfather, had with his brand new 1937 WK-40 that was on factory rubber with lights and starter. It came with the firestone small diamond tread tires. When he tripped in the new 4 bottom plow the tractor just set and spun on the straw. IHC brought out tire chains and he ran the first year with chains on the rear for traction. The next hear IHC brought out firestone's with the connected bar lugs. Anyway, back to the TC. The 21-32 had about 1/4" of yellow paint on from year after year re-painting yellow. Underneath was the gray. So I painted her gray and with no reference of paint on the rear steel or the fronts I had purchased I painted the wheels red. I could still see the outline of the original decal on the gas tank as being M-M so I painted the tractor gray with the correct for 1935 M-M decal and painted the wheels red to go with the decal, thinking this was correct. Well I go to my first show with my restored tractor and old man after old man came up and would say something to the effect of "Kid, you painted that tractor all wrong". Several years later when I met Harold Ottaway and we were visiting I told him the story. He said the best response to someone like that is "Oh really, what color did you paint yours?" Nine times out of ten they will just walk away. That was good advice from a good man. It's your tractor, paint it any way you like.
People fight about the "correct shade" of Gray or Green or Red or Yellow. I find it rather amusing as paint to the companies was a contracted thing. One time the contract may be with DuPont maybe the next with Williams. It all depended on the maker and the batch of paint. Yes I believe it should be correct for history as to like on a 17-30 Minneapolis Gray tractor with Green fender crowns and red wheels. But to argue about shade is just wanting to pick a fight.

So yes my 21-32 still has red wheels and will until I pass on and my nephew decides to change it or not or sell it. When someone tells you they are an expert on the shade of the color for your tractor I think it speaks volumes as to how much they still have to learn.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gleaner For This Post:
Old 01-30-2018, 11:34:53 AM
Subscriber

If you ever need any new sheet metal, we can help, see or ads in the classifieds. Fenders, hoods, and etc.

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob in Mi. For This Post:
Old 02-03-2018, 10:36:01 PM
Subscriber

This afternoon I removed the pan and pistons, rings look good but some are stuck on number two. Cylinders could use a good honing. The crankcase is really clean and the pan had minimal gunk in it, I was thankful that it didn't weigh as much as the 17-28.
I had a couple of questions for those in the know, I was going to pull the cylinder block to clean out the water jackets but is there an alternative to removing it? Doesn't look like flushing would get it all.
Also, I took the two lower bolts out of the oil pump mounting and its stuck pretty good, wondered if it just comes out like on a McCormick? Hated to get too violent with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 02-04-2018, 10:36:59 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,156 Times in 451 Posts

Block should come off and frost plugs removed to flush out. Oil pump often get stuck. I have even broken one getting it out. There is just the two bolts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Molinegb For This Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 12:17:16 PM
Subscriber

Pulled the pistons out Saturday, number three and four have some scoring. Says 063 on the pistons, haven't miked them yet.
Mark, do those governor weights look familiar? All the rings came loose while cleaning, painted some parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01330.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	302360   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01326.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	302361   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01327.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	302362  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 02:00:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,053 Times in 337 Posts

Quote:
Oil pump often get stuck. I have even broken one getting it out. There is just the two bolts.
- Molinegb
I too have had difficulties removing these oil pumps. Be cautious removing and later installing it from the bore it sits in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Blaney For This Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 05:43:33 PM
Registered-II

Regular U/g governor will bolt in place of the slide type. Have 3 NOS U pistons
Old 02-09-2018, 01:56:26 PM
Subscriber

Does anybody know, were the KT and KTA fuel tanks the same? Reason being we are finding some shorter tanks around here that are height and width similar but had a horizontal starting tank at the rear.
I assume maybe these are 12-20 tanks.

I think I just answered my own question looking at net images, they appear to be the same. Must be we have several 12-20 tanks laying around.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:13:18 PM
Registered-II

12-20 has starting tank under hood and is a real short tank. 17-28 is longer with starting tank strapped to rear. 12-20 has starting instructions soldered on rear. KT KTA is similar in length but has 2 compartments. Have all if pictures required.