Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Be Safe Around Moving Parts!

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 5647 times

Old 11-04-2017, 06:16:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 26,958 Times in 6,761 Posts
Default Be Safe Around Moving Parts!

This could go in any forum on here I suppose. It always takes something like this to remind a person.
A fellow was caught in a conveyor near here yesterday at a potato farm. Along with paramedics, a trauma team was sent because they thought they might have to amputate a leg to get the poor guy out. As it happened, they were able to partly disassemble the machine and get him out.
It doesn't sound good, however. The report is, he has life-altering injuries.
I have seen it happen around unguarded pto shafts. They can wind you up in a second.
I know I can get careless. I needed to move some tractors around this morning. It was just above freezing, so they were stiff cranking. I walked the big flywheel on the GS&M without thinking about having loose coveralls on and a hydro parka. I should have taken the damned coat off while cranking! It all went well, but .....?
Maybe the same thing happened at the potato farm? The workers are probably dressed for the cold with floppy coats and coveralls.
Makes you sick to think about it!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2017, 11:27:37 PM

Thanked 19,827 Times in 5,834 Posts
Default Re: Be Safe Around Moving Parts!

There's a fine line between competence and complacency on the job.
The most competent person can get complacent about doing the same old-same old things.......
I've always been fairly paranoid about being careful around things that turn having worked around the lathes, drill presses and grinders in the shop.
I remember my Dad getting some raggy shirt wound up in the lead screw of one of the lathes.
Luckily he was working near the chuck and got the lathe shut down before whatever could have happened happened.......
There's no way the lead screw would have stopped.......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 11-05-2017, 07:39:08 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 26,958 Times in 6,761 Posts

I bumped into a fellow at the post office a couple of days ago. He is a couple of years older than me, and I went to school with his sister.
Their dad was involved in one the worst farm mishaps and fatalities in the area. We were still kids then. He was baling with one of the old A-C round balers. Something got jammed up, and he went back, with the pto still engaged, to try and unclog it. He ended up getting wound up into the machine. It wasn't a nice thing for the family, or the local volunteer firemen to find.
I can think of a lot of local farmers who died in tractor roll overs.
These things only take a second to happen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 11-05-2017, 03:11:11 PM
Registered-I

And there was an accident just outside of town where a farmer was alongside his tractor when he started it... he apparently overlooked that it was in gear, as he was promptly run over.
(no he didn't make it)
Old 11-05-2017, 03:31:09 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,923 Times in 3,849 Posts
Exclamation Re: Be Safe Around Moving Parts!

In the last few years, the Stak has lost members to farming accidents. people do not realize the danger farmers can encounter every day. Machinery entanglement, roll-overs, machinery failure, moving beltwork, a lot to think about.

You cannot be too sure when working with a machine. Gloves, loose clothing, long sleeved shirts, all things to be aware of around moving, rotating parts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 11-05-2017, 05:01:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,499 Times in 1,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDmeterman View Post
And there was an accident just outside of town where a farmer was alongside his tractor when he started it... he apparently overlooked that it was in gear, as he was promptly run over.
(no he didn't make it)
I know people that do that, they are convinced the safety switches will keep it from starting in gear, I've explained that switches fail, but they still do it
Old 11-05-2017, 06:53:40 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,042 Times in 2,422 Posts

One thing I try to remember- machines are not cognizant beings, it is up to us to recognize hazards and avoid them.

A man near here was killed recently by such a circumstance. Apparently he was loading a dozer on a tilt trailer and was at or on the back of the trailer possibly to secure a chain. At that moment, the trailer tilted down, causing the dozer to roll over him. There were several things that might have (or should have) been done to prevent that, but unfortunately, none were.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:53:45 PM
Email NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
This could go in any forum on here I suppose. It always takes something like this to remind a person.
A fellow was caught in a conveyor near here yesterday at a potato farm. Along with paramedics, a trauma team was sent because they thought they might have to amputate a leg to get the poor guy out. As it happened, they were able to partly disassemble the machine and get him out.
It doesn't sound good, however. The report is, he has life-altering injuries.
I have seen it happen around unguarded pto shafts. They can wind you up in a second.
I know I can get careless. I needed to move some tractors around this morning. It was just above freezing, so they were stiff cranking. I walked the big flywheel on the GS&M without thinking about having loose coveralls on and a hydro parka. I should have taken the damned coat off while cranking! It all went well, but .....?
Maybe the same thing happened at the potato farm? The workers are probably dressed for the cold with floppy coats and coveralls.
Makes you sick to think about it!
Sad to say the man lost both leg in the accident
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan Mannen For This Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 07:11:11 PM
Registered-I

Neighbor boy that adopted us (man now) got his foot in stump digger wheel about 10 days ago. Foot full of pins now and external metal rods supporting it. Still a maybe on saving foot. About the same time mechanic that works just down the road had an overhead door that didn't want to stay up. He got a ladder and went up to adjust springs and when he started to wind spring the bracket on that side pulled out of wall, gruesome head eye and jaw injury and as of Sat. its maybe but probably not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pauls Welding Minnesota For This Post:
Old 11-07-2017, 08:21:33 AM
Subscriber

With winter coming, keep your hands out of the snowblower trying to clean out a blockage. When I was working, our Safety Officer comes back to work after a weekend with his hand all bandaged up. He stuck it in his snowblower to clean it out. Use a stick, broomhandle, anything but your hands. I always think about how fortunate we are these days. If you have the misfortune of getting hurt, you grab your cellphone and call the rescue. Within 30 minutes or less, depending on where you live, medical help is at your door. Many farmers died from accidents waiting for a doctor to arrive on horseback a day after the accident happened. Life was very tough back then.

And sometimes unfortunately, people do stupid things without thinking about the consequences. Like the famous comedian Ron White says "You can't fix Stupid"
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Holmander For This Post: