Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

1935 Twin City FTA

this thread has 34 replies and has been viewed 3039 times

Old 06-01-2018, 03:59:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,194 Times in 730 Posts
Default Re: 1935 Twin City FTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleaner View Post
Russ this is a FTA Twin City. Gear noise and the ringing of the center plate is normal! When you are plowing that ringing goes away. I can't guess the hundreds of hours I have set on the tool box riding on the 21-32 as a child and the hundreds of hours running one pulling a 3-16 Moline plow. Those sounds you are wanting to get rid of are normal and music to me.

You are making me want to get me a rusty old beater just to run in the field again.
Well Ed, you need to bring uncles' 21-32 to Goessel this year, feature is M&M.
That way Ron J could paw over it some while he's there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2018, 05:15:44 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,239 Times in 381 Posts

Russ my days of hauling to shows is over. I hauled a lot of iron up to Goessel and back over the years, 14-28 Avery, 27-44 Twin City, 21-32 Twin City, 16-30 Oil Pull, All have been there several times.
The Following User Says Thank You to gleaner For This Post:
Old 06-01-2018, 05:19:15 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleaner View Post
Russ my days of hauling to shows is over. I hauled a lot of iron up to Goessel and back over the years, 14-28 Avery, 27-44 Twin City, 21-32 Twin City, 16-30 Oil Pull, All have been there several times.
I remember an Avery cultivator tractor also. Come on up anyhow, Farm work permitting.
And thanks for those years of bringing stuff up to the show, I know sometimes that doesn't
get said enough.

Last edited by Russ Hamm; 06-01-2018 at 05:51:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 12:40:43 PM
Subscriber

I drove this tractor around some this weekend, pretty sure it has higher speed gears as mentioned earlier in the thread, but I don't think group 4 or 5. To be sure I would have to calculate it, I suppose stopwatch and circumference would do. Mark a spot on the wheel, maybe.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:40:43 AM
Subscriber

Well, the several times I have ran it since the last post, it is getting noticeably less smoke out of the exhaust, better compression.
With all the speculating I have been doing since i bought it from simple oil change to needing a ring job i think i have an idea of what might have happened.
The oil change has always made me think that had something to do with it, although i didn't run it a real long time before that im real sure i didn't have any smoke until after and it was pretty immediate. Some have told me that the detergent oil cleaned up some long present gunk and such, i'm pretty convinced on that. After i changed a week later to non detergent oil, i'm starting to see some real good results, but that may just be because i got rid of most of the thin black old whatever was in the engine with the second change.
I also think this is kind of new to me because most all of the tractors i have put back into service got thoroughly cleaned out during the rebuild, then we would have less old oil residue to deal with, i don't really know. Maybe that's why detergent oil has always worked for me before, i started out with a clean oil system.
Anyway, an elderly tractor collector friend told me years ago to only use non-detergent oil on these old tractors. I have heard that from others, and i have heard the other side also, as in that these older engines don't know the difference in oil. I think that depending on the particular situation...…….they are both right.
Started it last night twice, we knew it was going to need a cleanout on the fuel tank, and it quit both times because of that so i took the tank off last night. Before it died it REALLY sounded good, looking forward to working this ol tractor some in the near future.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 11:35:57 AM
Subscriber

Russ, I've always been taught to use non detergent oi in old tractors because of the accumulation of dirt and grimr left in the pores of the engine from yrs of use with non detergent oil. Better safe than sorry I've been told.
When you finish cleaning the fuel tank, I don't know if someone in your area handles parts from Steiners but they sell a nifty screen that fits into the top of the sediment bowl that with help stop fine particles coming from the tank. Makes you think of the pipe sticking up on the original sediment bowl assy used on McCormick Deerings, well worth the 8.50 in my book, has saved me a lot off problems. Just a suggestion, Jim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Ware For This Post:
Old 06-11-2018, 08:52:51 AM
Subscriber

Got the gas tank back on and needed to shine up a plow for the KTA this summer, smoke was noticeably less. It still ran some oil down the side of the block seeping out the number four exhaust port at first, then later the second time I ploughed it didn't run down at all.
Pulled a 2-14" IH plow in first, which would be second gear for the standard geared tractors, ploughed deep and fast, it would pull that load at idle without lugging.
Anyway, at near 100 degrees yesterday I didn't want to burn it down to the ground, seems to be a pretty good runner as is. Need to replace kingpins and bushing pretty badly, front wheel camber is lookin sad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0076.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	312266  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 08:58:20 AM
Subscriber

So now I guess the ol FTA is the official plow scouring unit at our place, yesterday the boys came over and we decided to shine up and grease some plows we hadn't used in a long time. First off was an IH 2-14, did a fine job as usual. Pictured is a 2-14 Allis, it seemed like it did fine but didn't lay over as smooth as the IH. Then we finished the day with an IH 1-18, seemed like that plow pulled a little harder than the 2-14's, we may knock that one down to a 1-14 one of these days, always tried to side draft but it could also be that the ol FTA was too fast for it.
Tonight we may have to break out the KTA and turn some dirt, see how it manages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0090.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	312684   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0097.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	312685  
Old 06-25-2018, 10:36:59 AM
Subscriber

I can't figure out how to put a youtube video on, my son took one the other day, "plowing with a 1935 twin city fta."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 09:58:56 AM
Subscriber

Just curious, I took apart the front axle last night and had guessed that kingpin bushings would be something to have to machine, there isn't a truck kit that fits by any chance?
I have a friend checking to see if he has a good axle, otherwise i'm going to have to weld up and machine out the ends, the kingpins are actually loose in the axle and worn at an angle.