Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

1929 JD "D" Advice Needed for Easier Starting

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 1929 times

Old 06-25-2018, 09:04:09 PM
Registered

Default Re: 1929 JD "D" Advice Needed for Easier Starting

Okay I found the spark to be a few degrees before TDC I adjusted that to maybe a degree or two after TDC, Do I need to get that dead on?
I put 20CC of gas in cylinder #1 and it would fire once on the second and sometimes third go around but never start, after a half hour I was pooped so I turned the gas off and spun it around again and it started on the second go around but belched out black smoke, I turned the gas back on and it continued with the black smoke so I turned the gas back off and as soon as I did that the black smoke stop and it ran better until it was out of gas, what's up with that?
As I said before the tractor has a new cylinder block, cylinder head, and rings, I took the transmission cover off and notice milky oil, the tractor has only run for about 15 minutes so far, am I getting fuel or water in there, how do you tell the difference and do I need to even worry about this yet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JD Milky Oil.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	313064  
The Following User Says Thank You to bmklawt For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2018, 10:55:45 PM
Registered-I

You are going through the same issue I had with my '27 D. As I have said in other threads on here, those carburetors are very touchy. I worked a year or so with mine just to get it to start fairly easy and to run under a load. I found that float adjustment is important and is hard to get right. They either flood or lean out. I replaced the cork float with a brass one and put in a new needle, but still had the carburetor apart several times to get it to run. It does start decent now, but you still have to fiddle with the adjustments as it runs. The guys are correct in saying that these earlier D's don't run smooth. Mine does not run well at idle or under load.
The Following User Says Thank You to CBarth66 For This Post:
Old 06-25-2018, 11:49:12 PM
Subscriber

bmklant; Aparently the D in John Deer " D " tractor is for something other then just for a model name. Like dam this or no good dam that. We have the same problem getting ours started , Pull starting is the only way ,Hot or cold and it takes a while to get them tuned.: salute: Roger Weinhold AKA Charlie 1925
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie1925 For This Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 12:59:25 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,001 Times in 276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmklawt View Post
I took the transmission cover off and notice milky oil, the tractor has only run for about 15 minutes so far, am I getting fuel or water in there, how do you tell the difference and do I need to even worry about this yet?
Fuel in the oil will just make the oil smell like fuel and thin the oil out. When the oil goes milky, it means the oil is mixed with water.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Nessel For This Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 08:55:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,987 Times in 646 Posts

I have the later brass carb on my '27 D, got the correct one but haven't tried it yet as it actually starts really easily, I think its just like any other brand, some of them take some time to dial in, some dial in themselves. I don't really remember what he did but a friend of mine removed EVERY screw in my carb and cleaned out every port with some religion, on the later carb we had to put the throttle butterfly in backwards. We don't prime ours at all, one pull on choke, take choke off and it will take off. Mine will flood with more than that. I might add, my Deere friends tell me I crank a Deere like a girl.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 12:53:38 PM
Registered-III

Hah I just tried starting mine for the third time. First run in 40 some odd years. My Arm is killing me:-) Gas gas and more gas. Figured it out the hard way. Now I read this most excellent advice! Later today I'm going back out and starting it. Going to see if it moves on it's own:-) Is it correct to say that once started unless you are pulling something you do not need to advance it?
Many thanks to all!
'Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to dzgreenacres For This Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 01:37:35 PM
Registered-II

Most John Deere run best with idle at one and a half turn open and load at 3/4 turns
Old 06-26-2018, 03:38:07 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,985 Times in 2,615 Posts

I guess that in my older years, my cranking by hand has weakened. I no longer feel like wrestling with them so much. I keep a Farmall 350 with a belt pulley and hammer mill belt ready for duty. I can handle them by myself that way. Have a 25-50 Huber here that is notorious for hard starting when sitting over winter. Have often thought of a simple way to add an electric starter but haven't come up with a practical idea yet.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:55:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 26,958 Times in 6,761 Posts

I have never had much to do with the Ds, but it would seem that with priming and a good working mag, it should start?
Is there something amiss with the air/fuel mixing? Perhaps after priming, one should walk away for a minute or so to allow the gas to vapourize? Just musing here - I don't know.
I have had trouble starting the Wallis tractor. I found that if I crank it a couple of times with the choke, walk away and do something else for a minute or so and come back and flip her over without choke, it takes right off. I think others suggested that on here a while back.
Is the mag impulsing?
Old 06-26-2018, 04:55:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,987 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
I guess that in my older years, my cranking by hand has weakened. I no longer feel like wrestling with them so much. I keep a Farmall 350 with a belt pulley and hammer mill belt ready for duty. I can handle them by myself that way. Have a 25-50 Huber here that is notorious for hard starting when sitting over winter. Have often thought of a simple way to add an electric starter but haven't come up with a practical idea yet.
A pto powered device to flip the crank handle has been on my mind for a year or so, maybe for my 350 IH utility mounted on the fast hitch so it could be adjusted for height. As I get older I think about this some, especially when we are already belted to the threshing machine and getting ready for a demonstration. Ultimately though, good spark, proper timing, fuel and compression is your backs' friend.