Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Frick Portable in West Virginia

this thread has 58 replies and has been viewed 11221 times

Old 10-16-2014, 05:00:40 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Frick Portable in West Virginia

I used to work for a feed-mill, and going around with a grain truck was always "fun". Our comment was that you always knew you were in the "good" areas when you saw your own headlights in the rear-view mirrors. Some of the switch backs pitch to the side so much its amazing we didn't roll those high center of gravity trucks.....

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to TractionEngines For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2014, 06:37:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,664 Times in 1,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbykart View Post
So the 40' 28" high one would be too much sorry I can't help-Mike
The goosenecks I am familar with are about 48" to the deck and in those mountains it does make a difference. I had an engine moved with a big coal truck and a very stout tandem axle duel wheeled trailer and I think my dog could have ran beside us faster. When you have to double back on a steep mountain road you will be glad that you have the load a low as you can get it. Where Mark's engine is located is not very far from three of the major ski resorts in the state. There are specialized trucks in the area for big heavy loads that are short.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:15:41 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Smith View Post
The goosenecks I am familar with are about 48" to the deck ......
Got a photo or link to the manufacturer of this trailer? Most goosenecks I've seen around here have been no more than 36" from platform to ground, depending on wheel size. Just curious on this one just in case I find one to haul home or to a friends barn. ....

I think I've seen a smaller Frick like this one at some of the Foothills shows in Maryville a few years back..
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Pate For This Post:
Old 10-17-2014, 01:12:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,792 Times in 574 Posts

I check with my local hauling guy and he thought his gooseneck was 37" deck height which sounds about average for around here.

We hauled a thresher all over creation with that and it was not an issue either on windy roads or on the interstate. Loading and unloading went well until that one time the winch failed and it nearly tried to kill us....which was about normal for any thresher I have ever moved. Apparently they are all evil and thirst for human blood.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:27:17 PM
Registered

Talk about a day late and a dollar short, just hauled our dozer into Parsons last saturday. Bought a trailer just for heavy loads and country roads.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:59:36 PM
Subscriber

We have a Low pro trailer is why, so i can haul my Vertical boiler easier. -Mike
Old 10-17-2014, 09:02:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,664 Times in 1,060 Posts

http://youtu.be/1qNgoK56U0M

My hero for hauling through WV is Johnny Boston. You can see his family's oil well at 1:15 at the link above. He took two trailers and welded them together to get the length needed to haul his display. He explained to me how he put the entire display together and his history with the well. That is one of my favorite displays.

Mark, you might contact him if your new hauler doesn't work out. If he can't do it he can point you to who can.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

I may be comparing apples to oranges on what to use to haul with because the WV highway system has changed much over the years since I left in 1994 and the places we brought stuff out of in the mountains or river valleys were in the original locations and pulled in by mules where we couldn't get trucks into, including the many items out of Belington, Newburg, Kingwood, and the list of towns goes on. A lot of this stuff has found new homes and is not in the original location anymore, but where it can be loaded easy. Many of the roads were single lane switchbacks, that were dirt or paved once in their life and were terrible to haul on. Many items we had to drag or skid quite some distance to even get back to the trucks. We used to tow the oil well engines dad bought from the head end and we used the flywheels for the wheels just to tow them to the truck to load them and haul them out. One time dad even used a cable skidder and flew a 10hp Stover over a massive section of washed out road just to get it loaded on the truck. The guys he worked with in his crew signed the trucks out for the night and dad had already skidded the engine about a mile to the location of the wash out and then they left work and headed to get the engine. They worked until it was time to go back to work and the turned all of the equipment back in. They ran a cable to a huge tree on the other side and pulled it tight and used a pulley system similar to what is used in logging, but for utility line work and they flew the engine over the ravine onto the truck they used to haul te engine. I learned a lot from my father and saw a lot of neat ways to get rusty iron he bought out of the woods.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:45:31 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,480 Times in 545 Posts

This engine is now in Kentucky and under roof. Thanks!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mark L. Jordan For This Post:
Old 11-03-2014, 12:00:09 AM
Registered-III

Glad things finally got worked out Mark. Sorry I wasn't able to do it.