Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Tube/Flue cleaning while underway

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1233 times

Old 11-19-2014, 09:49:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,542 Times in 493 Posts
Default Tube/Flue cleaning while underway

Pijpenvegen s.s. Hercules
Translation: Tube/Flue Cleaning s.s Hercules

Published on Nov 19, 2014 by youtube user Marnix Vlielander
Quote:
Pijpenvegen op de terug vaart van Veere
Translation: Tube/Flue Cleaning on the return trip to Veere (city in southwestern Netherlands)

The boiler is handfired Scotch Marine boiler running on coal.

I'd like to see someone try to do Tube/Flue cleaning on a traction engine while it was moving.

-CB
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2014, 09:59:48 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,405 Times in 477 Posts
Default Re: Tube/Flue cleaning while underway

CB,
You can clean tubes on a traction engine while its running. Its called a spark show.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:16:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,542 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoogie View Post
CB,
You can clean tubes on a traction engine while its running. Its called a spark show.
Hmm, can you point to a reference from a CASE manual or other Traction Engine manual that a spark show is an effective tube cleaning method?

I was picturing a traction engine moving forward with an engineer/fireman hanging off the front/balancing on the front axle with the smoke box door open and a long tube brush.

-CB
Old 11-19-2014, 11:27:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 27,109 Times in 6,831 Posts

CB
In another life, I had a few rides in the cab of Canadian National Railways 4-8-2 Mountain Type locomotive No. 6060. She is oil fired and they had a special scoop to put fine sand through a hole in the fire door. It was drawn through the tubes and flues by the draught and scoured the soot. It was mainly done at the time to make for better pictures for enthusiasts; but was done back in the day to clean soot and help steaming.
Sometimes they were running above 80 mph so that should count as cleaning under way!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 11-19-2014, 11:54:39 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
CB
In another life, I had a few rides in the cab of Canadian National Railways 4-8-2 Mountain Type locomotive No. 6060. She is oil fired and they had a special scoop to put fine sand through a hole in the fire door. It was drawn through the tubes and flues by the draught and scoured the soot. It was mainly done at the time to make for better pictures for enthusiasts; but was done back in the day to clean soot and help steaming.
Sometimes they were running above 80 mph so that should count as cleaning under way!
I'd heard that many years ago, too.

Lyle
Old 11-20-2014, 12:06:38 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,371 Times in 583 Posts

The steam train from Hill City to Keystone, South Dakota, does that on every trip. They are oil fired I believe. Couple of shovels of a certain kind of sand into the firebox. It does make a nice show too.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:07:42 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,479 Times in 545 Posts

I spent several years running an oil fired loco. We used a regular cast aluminum ice scoop (like in the ice bin at a hotel) and "play sand" in bags from the local hardware store. Nothing fancy..........
Old 11-20-2014, 03:19:09 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,353 Times in 2,357 Posts

Honestly, if a traction engine is working hard, you don't have to worry that much about sooting your tubes up that much that you need to clean them during the middle of the day, especially if you're burning wood. It's the "stop and go" running that we do at shows that makes so much soot and clinkers. One reason I really prefer to burn wood if it's going to be "stop and go".

You've also got to remember that most of our engines were used for belt work-it wouldn't have been hard for a fireman to punch the tubes when the crew was on lunch break. When they're hot, tubes punch pretty easy-much easier than if they're cold, due to expansion. I've punched some sooty tubes on a plowing engine out in a field before (previous operator didn't see the need to punch them before firing up-one of my pet peeves.... ). I don't see that it would have been much harder for a fireman to do so, if they had to once a day or so. That, and clean the ashes out from under the grates-just have to watch it if you were plowing dry stubble!!!!!

Mike M

Mike M
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post: