Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Frick 7888A steam engine Identify Help

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2518 times

Old 11-08-2014, 09:48:40 PM
Registered

Question Frick 7888A steam engine Identify Help

I have recently bought a Frick steam engine thats supposed to work at an estate auction. I didn't know anything about them when I bought it and thought that it was a traction, Before I knew what a traction was it obviously didn't have the fat wheels on the back but I thought it was maybe just an earlier model, Disheartened to say the least when I found out it was made to be pulled by horses, wanted it to drive in a parade.

If anybody can translate these numbers into a date and horsepower and anything else, weight?, would be appreciated thanks for taking the time, Frick eclipse Waynesboro PA 7888A, On the back of the boiler to the left of the firebox the number is 8811A, If you're standing on passenger side to the left of the big wheels on what im guessing the motor part theres a square box the number on it is 8608A, There is another number but I can't exactly remember where it was at I had just snap some photos of it is 9483A And for some reason in my photo it's upside down so something behind the front wheels I think on the driver side, Thanks Again for taking the time..... Tried to upload pictures but errors in this site, Also site keeps resetting itself and clears its self so that you have to retype everything when you try to go to the attachment box on separate page, I see there's another attachment box on this page but it asked for your URL number so you can send a photo something that's on the Internet but not on your camera, But we got hundreds of different smiley faces to use hahaha I'm 27 have a iPhone and I can't get it, I can only imagine the frustration that the good old boys have, Sorry to get off topic but I think we should just have a simple place to type the messages and a place that let's you choose a photo to add in the message, I see through other posts that others have this problem also..... Again thank you for any information you can come up with If anybody wants to email me directly feel free Allengreen_workgroup@yahoo.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Allen green For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2014, 10:04:02 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Frick 7888A steam engine Identify Help

Welcome Allen

There should be a brass tag screwed to the valve chest, "that would a big square box attached to the motor." Have you tried under additional options the manage attachments button and trying to post just a single picture. Please don't give up on this site, there is a lot folks very willing to help you here. Fricks were rated by cylinder size so the brass tag might read 8*10 or 9 1/2 * 10
Old 11-08-2014, 10:28:46 PM
Subscriber

Here are his photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	210404   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	210405   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	210406   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	210407  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TractionEngines For This Post:
Old 11-08-2014, 10:38:57 PM
Subscriber

Allen,

Looks like a nice engine. It sounds like you are new to this so my first bit of advice is don't get in too much of a hurry to build a fire.
Find someone who knows fricks to give it a good once over. Get the boiler and fire box ultrasounded on a fine grid. (Only way to really know the thickness of the plates.) Then if in good shape fire it gently with someone experianced there and in charge with only a few people around. You don't need a lot of distractions.

Have fun and be safe.
Mike
Old 11-08-2014, 11:30:00 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,479 Times in 545 Posts

I saw this advertised at auction recently, and some of us here in Kentucky bid on it via absentee.

This appears to be a 8.5"x10" engine, 48hp. It is built after 1916 due to the boiler and engine design, etc. It was originally built for 150psi, with a factory safety valve set at 135psi. Current boiler condition will dictate current boiler pressure allowed. It appears to be complete, but is missing the brass serial number plate which is normally attached to the valve chest cover, so there is no way to 100% know it's build date.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark L. Jordan For This Post:
Old 11-09-2014, 08:09:25 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,082 Times in 496 Posts

Mark,

I am confident the year could be estimated to either the exact year or one of two based on boiler number and reference to old club in NC year / number list. Although the full records do survive and boiler number I think is recorded. Those records show the original buyer and ship date & location. I forget for sure, I think those records were with the club. I am sure if you ask around you can find out where they are now.

Allen was looking for a weight. You must have that handy - save me digging in my old reprints.

This engine sure looks good in the photos. Too bad it is not what Allen wanted. Might be best all around for him to sell it and get a tractor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Post:
Old 11-09-2014, 10:49:41 AM
Registered-III

The boiler number is normally stamped in the rear of the steam dome, near the top rivet line. It is usually hard to read due to rust.

The catalog gives the weight as 8,500lbs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark L. Jordan For This Post:
Old 11-13-2014, 07:45:30 PM
Registered-II

On ebay now. ...http://m.ebay.com/itm/291293743810?nav=SEARCH
Old 11-14-2014, 08:23:08 AM
Registered

Did this engine come out of West Virginia originally?
Old 11-14-2014, 07:49:51 PM
Registered-III

The engine was sold to the current owner at an equipment auction at a concrete plant in the Clarksburg/Morgantown West Virginia area a week or two ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark L. Jordan For This Post: