Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler 2M1 Light Plant Advice Needed

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2101 times

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 01:25:54 AM
Mike Anderson

Default Kohler 2M1 Light Plant Advice Needed

Hi,

I just got an old Kohler Light Plant, and would like to make it work. The engine starts, barely, with real low compression and smokes. There is a crack in the head, and it undoubtably needs rings and the bottom of the air cleaner. Where would I look for parts?

The tag reads: Model 2M1, No 152912, spec no. 1172A, 2KW, 115 V DC, 17.4 amp, 1800 RPM.

Also, why would this be a 115 volt DC output machine. Were these strictly for lighting?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2003, 11:42:39 AM
John McPherson

Default Re: Kohler 2M1 Light Plant Advice Needed

There are numerous appliances and radios that operate on AC or DC. They will be labelled as such. Incandescant lighting, as you know will work, but not flourescent lighting.

Many brush type motors, such as you find in hand power tools can be run on DC too, but they do get warm, so your duty cycle will be less than specified.

As for parts, you may not find many of them unless you locate another machine- but all is not lost, cracked heads are fairly easy to fix, brushes can be made from other brushes, etc. It is just some of the other components that might be hard to locate. Rings are easy, but if you have bearing inserts rather than a poured babbit journal, you may have trouble locating those. You may end up having to reuse the head gasket, so take care with that as you remove the head. : :
Old 09-21-2003, 10:54:32 PM
Mike Anderson

Ok, John....so far the missing parts don't seem to be anything too critical, and the bottom end seems fine so far. Of course, it also doesn't make any juice, either. I took the end cover off and there doesn't seem to be anything missing or broken. I'm not too much of an electrical whiz, so there could be tons wrong that I'm not aware of. It seems fairly simple....there are 4 capacitors or something that looks like that, and then another widget about dime round and 3 inches long. Could these parts be bad? Nothing looks burnt or fried, wires seem a little cracked, but nothing arcing or shorting.

Are manuals available that might help with troubleshooting these, or should I take it somewhere? Maybe it's old enough, 1950 by the serial number, that nobody knows how to work on them?

I like things that work, so any additional help would be great!

Thanks, Mike
Old 10-01-2003, 04:12:58 PM
cecil murray

Hi Mike!

Your generator looks very similar to mine. This is an ac generator and was built in the early fifties. It has a dc 15 volt generator to energize the field coils for the ac 115 volt windings. You can go back in the archives and see my post under the heading KOHLER 2E21. The only thing missing on my plant is the governor spring and where it connects to. Perhaps you could help me out with this problem.
Closed Thread