Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units Waukesha, Buda, Climax, LeRoi and others.

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units

old Hardie motor (engine?) Orchard sprayer...please help ID

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 410 times

Old 01-10-2019, 03:28:48 PM
Registered

Default old Hardie motor (engine?) Orchard sprayer...please help ID

So, if you saw my other post, you will quickly figure out I'm new at identifying a motor from an engine from a hit and miss...
I have two antique orchard sprayers, that much I know- this one is a Hardie Imperial XCXX (the other is a Super Bean LeRoi)
The sprayers were housed on the old farm next door..all is being turned to pasture.
I have the task of identifying them. This Hardie had an old oily canvas tied down over the cast iron..I moved it slightly to view. Please help me put the right name to the Hardie motor, engine, hit and miss...it is so cool and appears to have some original paint. I hope the photos help..can't thank you enough!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190107_120858.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	326066   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190105_164428.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	326067   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190106_160017.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	326068   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190106_160304.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	326069   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190107_120953.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	326070   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190107_121132.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	326071  

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2019, 10:30:34 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: old Hardie motor (engine?) Orchard sprayer...please help ID

Hardie is the manufacture of the sprayer pump. Need better views of the engine. No neither this one or the other ones have hit & miss engines. I notice this one has a starter. The place I worked at sold Hardie sprayers and they were run from a tractor PTO. The hardie sprayers manufactures today are manufactured by a different Hardie company.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:50:32 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schwiebert View Post
Hardie is the manufacture of the sprayer pump. Need better views of the engine. No neither this one or the other ones have hit & miss engines. I notice this one has a starter. The place I worked at sold Hardie sprayers and they were run from a tractor PTO. The hardie sprayers manufactures today are manufactured by a different Hardie company.
does this help?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:58:40 AM
Subscriber

Pictures of the side of the engine towards the pump and also from the front will help. Alos, any casting marks or numbers that you see. Some things I see in that picture remind me of a little Waukesha but there are other things different.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:10:27 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Tallman View Post
Pictures of the side of the engine towards the pump and also from the front will help. Alos, any casting marks or numbers that you see. Some things I see in that picture remind me of a little Waukesha but there are other things different.

Tough to get at...hope this makes sense! I appreciate your insight.

---------- Post added at 01:10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyinthemountains View Post

Tough to get at...hope this makes sense! I appreciate your insight.

and this guy...
It all depends which way the sun is shining to get a photo!
Old 01-11-2019, 03:19:45 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,202 Times in 941 Posts

If you haven't already, review some of the prior Hardie Sprayer threads here (a few are listed at the bottom of the page)...
As mentioned above, some did use Wauks little workhorse FC and possibly some of the FCs sister engines...I seem to recall one in which the engine had no radiator, but was plumbed to circulate its cooling water thru the water or whatever in the main tank...
If you get to the point of wire brushing the engine for stamped/embossed letters/numbers and still have no ID, you can send them to the Wauk Engine Hist Society (wehs.net) for an opinion...
Altho its "internal combustion engine" and "electric motor", engine and motor are terms often used interchangeably; hit-n-miss is a separate design (not an "inline" like yours) farm etc engine I'm completely foggy on myself...
Old 01-11-2019, 09:45:33 PM
Registered-I

Didn't we see something like this recently? Maybe a winch or something. Was it Continental or Hercules? I can't find the thread I'm looking for. I am only going from my memory of a picture because I know nothing about these engines.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:30:38 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Tierney View Post
If you haven't already, review some of the prior Hardie Sprayer threads here (a few are listed at the bottom of the page)...
As mentioned above, some did use Wauks little workhorse FC and possibly some of the FCs sister engines...I seem to recall one in which the engine had no radiator, but was plumbed to circulate its cooling water thru the water or whatever in the main tank...
If you get to the point of wire brushing the engine for stamped/embossed letters/numbers and still have no ID, you can send them to the Wauk Engine Hist Society (wehs.net) for an opinion...
Altho its "internal combustion engine" and "electric motor", engine and motor are terms often used interchangeably; hit-n-miss is a separate design (not an "inline" like yours) farm etc engine I'm completely foggy on myself...
Thank you!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:14:33 AM
Registered-II

looking at it i never saw a 4 cylinder on an orchard sprayer. but maybe i never saw one that big. i have a Novo CW, 2 cylinder that came off an orchard sprayer similar. this is not a novo. it could even be a replacement engine from a tractor. most of the old sprayers i have seen just had a one cylinder engine and most cushman cubs.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:36:55 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,846 Posts

We have an old Hardie Orchard sprayer that was used on our small orchard years back. It has the same motor under a factory hood to protect things from the elements and spray while in use. Also had the 3 cyl pump with porcelain lined cylinders and leather cups. As I recall it is indeed the little waukeshea for power, our was a hand crank and no radiator. Simply has a series of pipes in the bottom of the spray tank. They made several different sizes of units. Originally these all used the wooden cypress tank, if taken care of they would last a long time. The solutions used would eat up a steel tank in no time.