Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

30hp Rumely Info and Parts

this thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 5000 times

Old 10-12-2016, 12:23:17 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: 30hp Rumely Info and Parts

Hello again folks!

I figured it was about time to poke this thread again with some updates.

Me and David have started digging into the boiler a little bit more as time has permitted and things are looking good. So far, we've been able to vacuum over 5 gallons of scale and stuff out of the just the front half of the barrel. Looking inside, I can see a wall of material higher than the first row of tubes that stops where the vacuum can reach. The truck ride back must have knocked loose most of the stuff in there thankfully. We've tried out a couple of the nuts and most of them have cracked loose without too much effort however we haven't tried to remove any studs yet which I cannot imagine will be easy. Overall, it seems that the boiler is mostly original thickness only having a couple patches that are barely thinner than the rest. Most of my ultrasound readings so far have been between 0.470" and 0.500" which ought to keep the inspector happy when we ask him for 150psi (or how about 175?
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/images/smilies/music.gif). Aside from the usual pitting of the bottom of the front tube sheet and a little elsewhere, things are looking great.

On another topic, we were thinking and decided that it will be easier for all of us if we ask for leads on specific parts rather than an all-call for a bunch of different parts. Help narrow things down a bit though we still greatly appreciate all of the responses that we have gotten so far. To help get us towards an operable boiler, we are primarily looking for handhole plates and spiders/frogs at the moment. We figured out that Russell plates would work in a pinch but we would prefer to find the correct Rumely plates for the sake of fitment and originality as I'm sure you guys will agree. We also would appreciate pictures and dimensions of an original handhole plate and spider/frog, or a deal to borrow one, to make a pattern and cast a bunch if need be. A main valve would be nice too, especially since it's a special screw-top style (as I call it) that I doubt is easy to find. I don't know what size to call it but it appears to have a flanged base and turns 90 degrees to what I assume to be a 2.5" NPT connection.

And another question, what was the factory pressure rating for a boiler like ours? We were figuring around 175psi but we want to be armed with as much information as possible for when we get this thing inspected. May as well shoot for the sky though hopefully not literally !

Thanks again guys!

Also, Gary (20 Reeves), your inbox is full so I can't send you a pm.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2016, 12:35:01 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Williams View Post
A main valve would be nice too, especially since it's a special screw-top style (as I call it) that I doubt is easy to find. I don't know what size to call it but it appears to have a flanged base and turns 90 degrees to what I assume to be a 2.5" NPT connection.
Well, I was just doing some more looking and it appears that I was wrong. Both ends of the valve are NPT. There is not a flanged side but simply a flange screwed into the bottom with a short nipple. Hope that clarifies a little!
Old 10-16-2016, 11:58:05 PM
Registered-I

Thanked 1,567 Times in 349 Posts

Ryan and Dave,
Here is the valve you need. This valve I used on my 36 is this one that came off your boiler. Sorry about that! I think it is a standard crane 250 PSI model. Has a 2-1/2" NPT bottom inlet and the same on the side discharge.
Cheers George.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1328.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	265589   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1330.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	265590  
Old 01-10-2017, 04:04:39 PM
Registered-I

Hey Guys!

Figured it was about time to poke the thread again! Been pretty busy lately (not on this project sadly) but now I've gotten a bunch more free time that I can apply to this project. Is there anything new on the Rumely front? Parts? Information? History? Like I've said before, any and all is appreciated.

Since things seem a little slow here (though believe me, I understand that Rome wasn't built in a day and such, George certainly proved that !), do you guys have any recommendations for where to expand my search? People to talk to? Other forums to post to? For example, I don't remember who exactly right now, but my good friend Alan Schurman is helping put me in contact with a man out east who has restored several steam tractors for people.

Thanks again guys!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:38:18 PM
Registered-I

Ryan, I have your hand hole plates and crabs here in a box. Any body coming up this way,
Cheers George.
The Following User Says Thank You to george hoffman For This Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 08:42:45 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by george hoffman View Post
Ryan, I have your hand hole plates and crabs here in a box. Any body coming up this way,
Cheers George.
Thanks George! I forgot about that. Sadly, I don't know of anyone going that way right now and I can't do that right now. Probably going to end up grabbing at showtime at this rate unless somebody from here happens to be passing through and wants to pitch in.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:37:26 AM
Registered-I

Hello again folks!

We've been making considerable progress in the past couple months. We now have a few more of the "details" sort of items such as a throttle, injectors, and an original Rumely gauge. However, we just finished a deal on something much more important...

As some of you may have heard, last year we managed to locate a relatively complete tractor that would provide us with many of the parts we're missing. It is a 25hp double which thankfully shares almost all its parts with a 30hp and it has a shot boiler so it would be no shame to part it out. As of last week, we are now the proud owners of it! The engine is virtually gone but the tractor will provide us with wheels, axles, steering, and most of the gearing. We are extremely grateful to the family that sold us this tractor and to our friends that are making it possible to recover it.

Despite this great find though, we are still missing basically everything that would go on the upper half of the tractor. Levers, brackets, bearings caps, and most importantly, an engine. Any help finding these would be greatly appreciated.

I'd also like to take a moment to say to those of you who missed the Rumely Expo this year, you missed something amazing (aside from the rain )! I went back there as part of our tractor recovery mission and it was a once in a lifetime experience to be a part of plowing with five 36hp Rumelys and a 25hp simultaneously! Big thanks to those who put that together.

Now for what you really want, pictures!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170911_090448970.jpg
Views:	1051
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	291931   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170913_095938585.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	291932   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170913_104149475.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	291933   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170915_135045926.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	291934  

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Williams For This Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 06:17:25 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,095 Times in 2,264 Posts

Well boys, looks like ya'll are a Helluva lot further along now, congrats! Looks like ya'll have the cylinders for the 25 HP, so you've at least got SOMETHING to start with.

Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 08:39:13 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 7,933 Times in 2,041 Posts

Ryan,
Was this engine from Miles City, Montana? Just curious, since that was on the wheel spoke. Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	25 hp Rumely double cylinder engine wheel, maybe from Miles City Montana Ryan Williams 9-2017.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	292037  
The Following User Says Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:11:37 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Reeves Highwheeler View Post
Ryan,
Was this engine from Miles City, Montana? Just curious, since that was on the wheel spoke. Gary
Yes Gary, this engine was originally in Montana. I don't have the full story, but we know this engine used to pump water out of the Yellowstone river in Miles City, Montana. At some point in its life it proceeded to slip into the river. Roughly 20-30 years ago, a collector by the name of Jim Michaels pulled it out of the river and coincidentally contacted George Hoffman about it. George didn't have much interest in it at the time since it was a 25 and he needed 36 parts so they fell out of touch and it disappeared a few years later. In 2015, the engine reappeared on Craigslist in the Lincoln, Nebraska area (seen here https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147129) but nothing happened with it. Last year when we got our boiler from George, he mentioned this engine and we managed to find the thread about it and contact the current owners. You can see how things went from there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Williams For This Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 11:18:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 7,933 Times in 2,041 Posts

Thank you for taking time to report on those pieces for me, Ryan! I'm so glad for you that Jim Michels saved those pieces he did years ago. I never had the privilege of meeting Jim Michels, but he was an old timer in the old engine crowd in Montana.

I believe Jim was affiliated somewhat with the club at Culbertson, Montana, who had a big auction sale up there today. It's interesting that Jim is still saving engines! I'm glad you were his recipient, decades later.

And George Hoffman is a fine gentleman who passed his information along. It pleases me to see the level of preservation young men and older men are doing to preserve as much of our old iron heritage as has been done.

When I was a kid, they might say, "It needs flues, the boiler cleaned out, cleaned up, oiled and painted" so they'd buy them for a pittance in today's figures. Most steam engines sold for $100-$300 dollars here in Montana in the early 1950's. But building one engine out of several pieces of other engines was done infrequently. New boilers were nearly unheard of. It pleases me to leave the hobby behind (when it's my time) to such a great upcoming bunch of preservationists!

So keep up the good work Ryan! Gary
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 11:53:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,035 Times in 493 Posts

You have a seriously good start. Basket cases are the best, the hunt is my favorite part. Did that guy still have that Nic Shep for sale too?

Last edited by Tim Colwell; 09-24-2017 at 04:28:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Colwell For This Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 12:23:25 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Colwell View Post
You have a seriously good start. Basket cases are the best, the hunt is my favorite part. Did that guy still have that Bic Shep for sale too?
It certainly is fun to piece things together! I'm used to doing that day in and day out at Alan's place. Making a lot of stuff from scratch too. There's a massive sense of accomplishment in seeing something run that originally arrived in pieces at your feet.

Yes, the big Nichols is still there but I'd rather not touch on that due to a delicate situation that I do not feel needs to be elaborated on.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:52:53 PM
Registered-I

Gary, I thought you would know the story of Jim Michels pulling the Rumely out of the Yellowstone river. I just heard from someone at one of the shows that Jim had passed about 2 years ago. When I was Corresponding with him, before the internet, I really didn't get details of the recovery. It would be an interesting story if you know of any one who can relate to it.
The boiler is shot however the boys have now got nearly all the parts they need except the engine. The boiler is full if gravel but still has the grates. As you see in the photos the river ice took away most if the engine leaving only the 2 cylinders.
It took a year to buy the thing with help from me, the price ended up at a fair $3,500. It is a basket case so that was all it was worth. It has been in the bush there for 25 or so years. With a bit of muscle from the loader Ryan managed to get her mobile. This week it will be trucked up to Forest City where we plan to part it out after next years show. The boiler will make a nice addition to their scrap pile display.
What these two young fellows don't have in cash they certainly make up for in enthusiasm. They are 19 and 20 years old. They are the future of this hobby.
I had two grand children 11 and 12 with me at Forest City who helped fire and drive the Rumely. They had a ball.
Cheers George.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to george hoffman For This Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 02:34:01 AM
Registered-I

Not much of an update here, but something nonetheless.

The 25 unfortunately/fortunately will be spending the winter with the great folks out at the Heritage Park in Forest City, Iowa. Plans were unable to come together to bring it back to Washington this year so we were forced to make a detour, albeit a very nice one. Things are now looking excellent for finishing the haul back next summer and we will likely be seen at the Forest City show getting ourselves covered in grease and coal dust!

Meanwhile, I recently put together a small video/montage of recovering the 25 from the farm where it sat. It can be seen here: https://youtu.be/TnDvZyoY39Y

Winter is going to be boring without the majority of our parts but I suppose that's incentive to finish extracting the dozens of broken studs in our boiler. Cursed things ...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Williams For This Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 02:57:23 PM
Registered-I

What was the old gas tractor in the back pic of that craigslist posting? any ideas?
Old 11-29-2017, 04:26:41 PM
Registered-I

Ryan, Is the Rumely at Forest City now? How did the trucking go?
You should see if Gary has a contact for the club at Culbertson Montana. They may have someone who could relate to the story of how and where the old girl was pulled from the river back in the 80s . Jim Michels had photos of the rescue when I was dealing with him. It would be an interesting story.
Cheers.