Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Case 110 Help

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 2430 times

Old 11-19-2017, 02:00:56 PM
Registered-II

Default Case 110 Help

I was asked for help identifying this engine, perhaps you Case experts can help. Help was also asked on another forum:http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com...393856a723a745

I relayed that it is a Case 110 built between 1910 and 1914. Since her family ran a sawmill in Wisconsin, during that time I suspect it might have been belted up to that. There is a nice wood platform, which leads me to believe it is pretty stationary at the time, and this would make it easier to fire with waste wood. There is a hose for refilling the water, but I don't see a tank in the photo.
It is also possible that could have been thrashing, but it would have taken a very large thrashing machine to handle that much HP. Also it would have been very difficult to fire on straw with the platform, usually there was just a straw chute with a swinging door to constantly push straw through without loosing heat.
If it is a thrashing rig, there may have been a cook there with the apron on. I can't think of why there would be an apron on a sawmill worker, althpugh they often wore heavy leather chaps.
Some speculate that one of the workers was wearing a doughboy WW1 helmet, but this would seem pretty uncomfortable to me, but would place the photo after WW1.
How many Case 110's were produced? IS it known where most of them went/scrapped? Is it possible that this Case still survives? Do you Case 110 owners know the names of the former owners?

"This was taken in Wascott, Wisconsin. My great grandfather , Loyed Hoff, was the son of Norwegians and his dad, Severin, owned a saw mill in Wisconsin and some of the kids went to Saskatchewan Canada to be wheat farmers later on. Looking closer at the picture, the man by the hose or rope actually looks very similar to my great grandfather Loyed born in 1899. On the back of the photo it says "Elemer Roessel sent this to me". I have looked in old census records tonight on ancestry.com and one of my great grandfather's sisters married a Raynold Elemer Roessel, a German man. So I'm thinking it's probably my gr grandfather up there and maybe a sibling who also had twins but I have yet to find anyone else who had twins. Elemer lived in the home with the rest of them and I'm sure worked on the farm with them. My great uncle had a thresher in northern Wisconsin after the war. He was from the Stetsonville area."

Thank you for helping, Joseph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Case 110.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	296456  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to threecase For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2017, 03:37:21 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,860 Times in 819 Posts
Default Re: Case 110 help

That 110 Case is rigged up the way a lot of them were when threshing and burning straw here in Saskachewan. There were/are people by the name of Hoff at Redvers SK that had a 110 Case, it also had extension rims on as your photo shows which are not real common. That 110 is the one at Manitoba ag museum at Austin MB.

---------- Post added at 01:37:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20:00 PM ----------

That engine is all so the same vintage as the 110 as Austin MB.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to halcon For This Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 04:42:38 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,171 Times in 2,114 Posts

threecase,
There is a water tank on the 110 hp Case. It shows below the straw box, behind the driver wheels.
Gary
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 10:13:13 PM
Registered-III

Threecase. I looked up some cemetary records in that aria, the Hoffs were out in the country between little villages and hamlets. And I found the following.with there birth dates. Henry Hoff b1889, Edward Hoff born 1881, Marg wife of Edward born 1899, Pauline Hoff born 1906. Allso some Rousels and Rousells Justin 1901, Solomon 1887, Albert 1920, Solomon 1915. Hope this helps you tracing your family.
The Following User Says Thank You to halcon For This Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 10:14:13 PM
Subscriber

I was thinking the same as Halcon. Looks like a strawburner.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldtech For This Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 12:10:11 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,171 Times in 2,114 Posts

Straw burner steam engines were quite common in certain areas, I think? There wasn't a lot of it done in Montana, I know. The upper midwest seemed to have them as quite common. Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110 Case straw burner, plowing+.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	296515  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 12:23:33 AM
Registered-II

I've been passing along the information to the family who wrote to me, it has been very helpful to them. Thank you to everyone that has answered, keep it up!
The only straw burner I have seen did not have contractors bunkers on it, which placed the end of the platform too far from the firebox door. The chute I saw was a square box that attached to the firebox, the firebox door was always open. But the chute had a one way flap that opened every time you shoved straw in. My understanding was that you had to continuously shove straw in, it was A LOT of effort to keep enough going through the firebox. Also the endless sparks from straw were a really concern.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to threecase For This Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 12:27:25 AM
Registered-III

It sort of works out that the farther you are from good coal or wood the more desirable straw burning becomes specially when threshing. The freight added a good deal to the cost of coal. The only coal near here was lignite which is difficult to use in those old engines. There was a little wood in some arias but it was also a long haul, so it was usually hauled in the winter to keep the cook stove going. A 110 Case was a big engine for a threshing machine so it wasn't too hard to keep it steamed up on that relatively light load burning straw.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to halcon For This Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 11:41:27 AM
Registered

Halcon, yes. Henry and Edward are my great grandpa's brothers. His sister Ella married Elemer Roussel. On the back of the photo it says "Elemer Roussel sent this to Loyed" in very faded writing. Elemer lived with the family in Minnesota in the 1920 census, I'm guessing after this picture was taken and Loyed my great grandfather is on a census in Canada living with his brother Edward in 1916. Their mother died a few years prior in 1913 and their father may have not had the sawmill in Wisconsin any longer at that point. I am thinking this could have been taken while my great grandfather was still in Saskatchewan living with his brother. His brothers and brother in law, Elemer Roussel, may be the other men in the photo. It's hard to know who is who of course. Both Edward and Loyed had very similar faces to the one in the cab area. I decided after reading your reply yesterday to call a Hoff in Redvers and it turned out they ARE my relatives. The lady I spoke with is Edward's great grandaughter. She was very happy to hear from me, we exchanged email addresses and have started emailing. She will be checking with older relatives in the next few weeks to find out what they know. My Hoff grandmother and both great grandparents died before I was born so it's great connecting with these relatives. Thank you very much for replying with that info! She said she hadn't heard anything about a steam tractor but was going to ask about it. I am going to try and contact the museum to see if I can find out more about the one they have.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ashjohnson42 For This Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 12:00:05 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,130 Times in 2,702 Posts

It's great to find out lost family history. Another thought you might keep in mind about the engine, It may well belong to another outfit other than the family. The people in the photo may have simply been working with a contract outfit or hired on to run the outfit. So if the one in the museum is from that area it may not be from your family but may well be the one in the picture.