Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Boiler Fabrication

this thread has 460 replies and has been viewed 111882 times

Old 11-02-2005, 09:41:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,415 Times in 456 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Boiler Fabrication

Dan: I want to thank you for sharing the prossess of the making of your boiler. This past spring I was involved in having a new boiler made for our clubs 14 gauge train. It was built in Ohio all 3/8 plate S stamped all welded, Our inspector here in Illinois liked the workman ship of the shop very well. Later this winter we will be taking our Peerless traction engine apart, most likley it will get a new boiler also. I will be posting the work on the American Thresherman's engine as it comes apart. Thanks again for sharing your project. Gary Bahre
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2005, 09:52:26 AM
Jim Jake Templin

Default Re: Boiler Fabrication

Dan,
I am very impressed. FYI welded longitudanal seams aren't as new as a lot of people think. It was a common practice among locomotive builders to gas weld the seam, then rivit butt straps on either side of it. I have also seen gas and forge welded steam domes as well.

Craig Dobbins, the 23 year old R stamp boilermaker from Iowa, is going to rivit together a boiler for an turn of the century NS, and is going to have a welded long seam. He said he was going to put on a fake butt strap, but I told him to just dress the seam and leave it alone and just tell everyone that the seam is on the side opposite the viewer. I think boilers look just fine as long as there is a row of rivits at the throat sheet and smokebox end.

Are you going to do any "cosmetics" on the long seam? IMHO a fake buttstrap on an engine that should have a lap is as incorrect as anything else, and since the seam can only be seen from one side anyway, I advocate just leaving them alone.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:59:47 AM
Jim Jake Templin

PS

what method of flanging are you going to use?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:07:52 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,976 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIrishman52
Awesome job Dan, I hope you are doing this on your coffee breaks!!! (G)
Joe Kelley
Coffee breaks, during lunch and several late nights.

This would be a great time to thank my wife for being very understanding on the nights I stay late at the shop playing. She has brought dinner up to the shop for me and the "CREW" on more than one occasion. Thanks darling.

This would also be a great time to thank the "CREW" for the work they have done so far. John Biddle is the man operating the plate roll in the pictures above and Jack Eckerson is the man operating the brake press. Some jobs require the help of professionals.

Dan

Last edited by Dan Donaldson; 11-04-2005 at 01:25:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:11:17 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bahre
This past spring I was involved in having a new boiler made for our clubs 14 gauge train. It was built in Ohio all 3/8 plate S stamped all welded, Our inspector here in Illinois liked the workman ship of the shop very well.
This must have been the keyhole boiler I saw in Jonas' shop in May. If J S Company does the boiler for the Peerless there is a good chance I will be doing the detail drawings if it is a complete rebuild.

Dan
Old 11-03-2005, 11:23:58 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jim Jake Templin
Are you going to do any "cosmetics" on the long seam? IMHO a fake buttstrap on an engine that should have a lap is as incorrect as anything else, and since the seam can only be seen from one side anyway, I advocate just leaving them alone.
This is my thinking as well. I plan to put the weld seam near the bottom and leave it alone.

Dan
Old 11-03-2005, 12:39:38 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jim Jake Templin
PS

what method of flanging are you going to use?

Last night (Nov. 2nd) I finished grinding the 1" radius on the 2 3/4" thk forming block that I am going to use to flange the back head. Fotunately we found a scrap piece of 2 3/4" plate buried in the dirt behind the shop. It was large enough to cut the forming blocks for the back head, throat sheet and front tube sheet. It is scaled with rust pretty bad but it knocks off with a hammer and chisel fairly easy. I plan to use the forming block to heat bend the flange on the back head within the next couple weeks.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:05:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,432 Times in 673 Posts

Hey Dan, if you need to clean up your forming block use a needle scaler. The scaler will take care of the flaky rust ASAP.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:28:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Andy. I will give that a try on the pieces I still need to de-scale.

Dan
Old 11-04-2005, 03:26:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,432 Times in 673 Posts

Needle scalers also work good on that petrified grease/dirt stuff that you have to chisel off of the gears and such. Works good on flaky rust and old paint. Lots and antique equipment restorers swear by needle scalers for all manner of jobs. If you run out of uses fit it you can always use it for its intended use of cleaning slag from a stick weld.