Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Boiler Fabrication

this thread has 460 replies and has been viewed 110377 times

Old 11-19-2005, 12:57:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,096 Times in 2,264 Posts
Default Re: Boiler Fabrication

Wow, that's a pretty massive overhaul! I never did like the firebox, and I always thought that was one of the ugliest front tubesheets I had ever seen. I am kinda surprised the barrel is getting replaced, as I thought it was in pretty decent shape. Is that because when the tubesheet was replaced umpteen years ago it was moved back from its original spot? Is the new material going to be welded, or riveted? Am just curious to how everyone is repairing boilers nowadays. I know some shops prefer one to the other, and I'm sure the state inspector preference plays a part in it, too. Keep us all posted as to how the old girl is coming along!
Mike M
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2005, 02:26:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,568 Times in 479 Posts

Quote:
Wow, that's a pretty massive overhaul! I never did like the firebox, and I always thought that was one of the ugliest front tubesheets I had ever seen. I am kinda surprised the barrel is getting replaced, as I thought it was in pretty decent shape. Is that because when the tubesheet was replaced umpteen years ago it was moved back from its original spot? Is the new material going to be welded, or riveted? Am just curious to how everyone is repairing boilers nowadays. I know some shops prefer one to the other, and I'm sure the state inspector preference plays a part in it, too. Keep us all posted as to how the old girl is coming along!
Mike M
Yes the Barrel replacement is due to the tube sheet. I would like to due less, but I will have to see when I get inside of it sometime next week. I am planning on riveting some of the barrel on where the lap is and welding the rest back onto the old. The long seam will be welded, and RT'ed. The firebox will be all welded.I started to count the mounting bolts that will have to be made and I quite at 150. There will probably have to be about 300 made. Ugh.

Last edited by Craig A; 11-19-2005 at 04:05:51 PM. Reason: repair tags
Old 11-19-2005, 06:19:47 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,267 Times in 722 Posts

whats the address of that sight you guys were talking about ealier sounds like an interesting boiler repair
Old 11-19-2005, 07:26:44 PM
Bill Thurman

Just curious, could you give a (ball-park) figure on cost wise for the Reeves repair, I'am thinking a new boiler would be around $25,000, what would be the savings in having the old one repaired? I think everyone who has a engine will be facing this sooner or later and would like to know! Thanks
Old 11-19-2005, 08:06:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,568 Times in 479 Posts

The advantage to this is the time savings to reassemble the engine onto the boiler. All of the mounting holes are already there we just have to clean them up, and put in new bolts. Plus the owner has a boiler that doesn't the new "streamlined" look.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:04:31 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,963 Times in 361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
whats the address of that sight you guys were talking about ealier sounds like an interesting boiler repair
http://www.lundmachineworks.com/
Old 11-21-2005, 02:43:04 PM
Subscriber

Dan

Very interesting work!! Obviously you have very detailed drawings of the boiler, etc but with the pieces predrilled, what steps do you take to insure that everything will align in the end - especially getting stays to align right .

Was this the way Case, Keck, Reeves etc actually did this or did they drill in place?

I assume that when mounting brackets, hangers, etc that these would be drilled in place

Thanks

Doug
Old 11-21-2005, 04:07:41 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG1584
Dan

Very interesting work!! Obviously you have very detailed drawings of the boiler, etc but with the pieces predrilled, what steps do you take to insure that everything will align in the end - especially getting stays to align right .

Was this the way Case, Keck, Reeves etc actually did this or did they drill in place?

I assume that when mounting brackets, hangers, etc that these would be drilled in place

Thanks

Doug
The rivet holes will be match drilled to ensure proper alignment. Temporary bolts will be used to hold the parts together until the rivets are installed.

The stay bolt holes are drill undersized and a long bridge reamer will be used to ream the two holes so that they line up. The reamer also has a tap to thread the holes as they are reamed for the stay bolts. I do not expect perfect alignment of the stay bolt holes.

All of the castings will be transfered to the new boiler and used to locate stud or bolt locations.

Dan
Old 11-22-2005, 11:13:41 AM
Subscriber

Keck boilers, (Brennen, Broderick) were already assembled when they arrived at the factory at Mt. Vernon. All Keck had to do was the placement of the brackets, pipeing, ect. I assume they had a pattern/jig thingy for proper placement and alighnment of components.
Tom
Old 11-22-2005, 12:19:27 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,067 Posts

Dan,

Not to change the subject, but what about your steam shovel? Is that finished yet or is that next in line after this engine?

Oh, and one more thing......I can't resist.........Are you done yet?

All in good fun!

Jeff Smith
Old 11-22-2005, 01:04:34 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Smith
Dan,

Not to change the subject, but what about your steam shovel? Is that finished yet or is that next in line after this engine?

Jeff Smith
The steam shovel is a project my dad is working on. He has made some progress including sand blasting and painting the undercarrage. Progress has been slow though.

Dan
Old 12-04-2005, 01:55:01 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,067 Posts

Dan,

Any new photos and an update?

Jeff Smith
Old 12-05-2005, 12:43:40 PM
Subscriber

Friday night Johnny Biddle and I made our first attempt at forming the back head. This was very HOT and hard work. A test plate was bolted to the forming block and heated red hot with a rosebud for a few inches and then bent using a hammer fabricated from pipe with wooden inserts. The plate is hit with the wood so that they do not get scarred. Everything was going well until the pressure started dropping in our fuel supply (propylene). We discovered that the line going from the bottle to the manifold was too small. While the piping throughout the shop was full of pressure (40 psi) we were able to get enough heat from our rosebud but once the pressure dropped the bottle could not keep up with the demand though the small line. We plan to use another bottle instead of the one supplying the entire shop. This bottle will have a regulator attached directly to it from which we will run our hose to the rosebud.

These are three pictures of the ½” thick test plate we were using to form on the 2¾” thick forming block I made. As you can see it was forming pretty well until we started losing heat. We are confident that once we get our fuel supply problem solved we will have more success.

Sorry there are not any pictures while the work was being done. We were so busy there was not any time to take any.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test 01.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	5391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test 02.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	5392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test 03.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	5393  
Old 12-05-2005, 12:56:14 PM
Subscriber

After pressure built back up we used the rosebud to heat up the 3/8” plate for the water leg, which has two tight bends very close to each other. The first bend was made in the brake press. A jig was built so the bend was made in the proper place and at the correct radius.

The third picture is of the hammers we made to form the plates. There are wooden inserts that press into the 3” pipe heads. The hammer handles are 1” XX-Hvy (.358 wall) pipe by 3’-0” long. As you can see it took a lot of hammering to form the ½” plate. The handles were straight when we started.

Next Friday I am hoping to form the flanges on the throat sheet using the same forming block as the backhead. This will give us more practice before forming the backhead.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water Leg 01.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	5394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Leg 02.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	5395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hammers 01.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	5396  
Old 12-16-2005, 03:41:29 PM
Subscriber

Here are some pictures of the crew forming the throat sheet. We solved our gas problem from the previous week and we are able to keep the plate hot enough to do the job. It took about four hours for the three of us to form the two side flanges on the throat sheet. I still need to finish grinding the knuckle radius on the forming block for the flange that wraps around the bottom of the barrel. The pictures show Jack Eckertson heating the ½” thick throat sheet with a rosebud and John Biddle using the hammer with the wooden insert to bend the sheet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	throat 01.JPG
Views:	766
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	5583   Click image for larger version

Name:	throat 02.JPG
Views:	850
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	5584   Click image for larger version

Name:	throat 03.JPG
Views:	786
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	5585  
Old 12-16-2005, 03:42:33 PM
Subscriber

Here are a couple more pics of the throat sheet being formed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	throat 04.JPG
Views:	690
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	5586   Click image for larger version

Name:	throat 05.JPG
Views:	718
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	5587  
Old 12-16-2005, 08:17:31 PM
Registered-III

I have a book called "Traction Engines, young Engineers Guide" its dated 1907 leather cover, very nice book. Anyway it shows plans and the steps in fabricating boilers and engines.Its very interesting and explains alot about WHY some things are done the way they are. It has all the formulas and the figures about steam and gasoline engines it doesn't however deal alot about safety. Dan Sheldon
Old 12-17-2005, 08:47:16 AM
Sponsor

Do the plates have to be stress relieved after being formed?
Old 12-17-2005, 09:16:02 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Clarke
Do the plates have to be stress relieved after being formed?
Yes. Everything will be stress relieved prior to staybolt and rivet installation.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:46:05 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSheldon
I have a book called "Traction Engines, young Engineers Guide" its dated 1907 leather cover, very nice book. Anyway it shows plans and the steps in fabricating boilers and engines.Its very interesting and explains alot about WHY some things are done the way they are. Dan Sheldon
Would it be possible for you to scan some of the pages from the book? Especially anything on forming boiler plates.

Dan Donaldson