Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Boiler Fabrication

this thread has 460 replies and has been viewed 113820 times

Old 11-04-2005, 03:52:03 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,350 Times in 2,356 Posts
Default Re: Boiler Fabrication

One of the best ways I've found to remove that caked on/baked on grease on engines is to take a cutting torch, turn off the oxy. and burn it. This hardens it up considerably. Then you can take a wire brush to it and it comes off quite easily. If a torch ain't handy, and it's on a flat surface, take some kerosene, soak a rag in it, and set the rag on fire on top of the grease. Then apply wire brush as before.

Dan, the boiler fab thread has been nothing short of fascinating for me. I had to show a lot of our layout guys here at work what a big burner table looks like. Makes ours look like a miniature!

Mike M
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2005, 11:06:36 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,998 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKnight
Dan, the boiler fab thread has been nothing short of fascinating for me. I had to show a lot of our layout guys here at work what a big burner table looks like. Makes ours look like a miniature!

Mike M
Our burning table can hold (6) 8'-0" x 20'-0" plates at one time or many variations there-of. We have burned plates 60’-0” long. It is large enough that the operator can burn parts at one end of the table while helpers load or unload the other end of the table allowing for continuous production. There are two plasma cutting torches (one of which can rotate to cut bevels on the edges of plates for weld prep), two permanently attached oxy-fuel torches, an arc writer (scribes text and layout lines), a zinc marker which can also do layouts and a punch which can locate prick punch marks. We also built an attachment that can hold four more oxy-fuel torches, which we use to rip long plates (up to 60’-0” long) for bridge girder flanges.

This machine is becoming too small for the projects we are building so there are plans to get a bigger machine.

Dan Donaldson
Old 11-07-2005, 05:37:22 PM
Subscriber

Dan I would be curious if you are keeping a log on your time spent on this project and will be doing a cost to see what it would be in the real world to do this kind of work. We talk about this on here every so often but no one has any real time numbers. Would like to know more about how you set up to do this. The pictures are great and reminds me of working in Tom Terning's shop a number of years ago.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:27:32 PM
Subscriber

What pressure will it be stamped with?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:10:30 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Deck
Dan I would be curious if you are keeping a log on your time spent on this project and will be doing a cost to see what it would be in the real world to do this kind of work. We talk about this on here every so often but no one has any real time numbers.
I am keeping fairly detailed time sheets. I have the hours broke down by job type i.e. detail drawings, drilling holes, beveling etc... It will be interesting to see how much time I will have been spent when it is done.

Dan Donaldson
Old 11-08-2005, 01:11:15 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
What pressure will it be stamped with?
175 psi.

Dan Donaldson
Old 11-09-2005, 03:54:19 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Deck
Would like to know more about how you set up to do this.
I am in the fortunate position of working for an ASME code shop. Because of my experience at the shop I am familiar with material tracability and what the inspector will be expecting as far as documentation. I also have experience with what is involved with fabricating pressure vessels as far as forming material, what type of weld preparation is required, fit up and match drilling.

I am also fortunate to have meet Jonas Stutzman (J S Company) by chance in 2003 while visiting my girlfriend (now wife) in Ohio. We were driving to an Amish cheese shop when I noticed Jonas' shop off the road. We stopped in and got to talk with Jonas and I was very impressed with his operation of building ASME "S" stamped boilers and engine restoration. He has one of the nicest machine shops I have ever seen. I offered to do detail drawings for the boilers he was building and that is how I got familiar with how fire tube boilers are constructed and how safe they are if they are in good order and operated properly.

If it were not for having the drawing experience and ability, the shop available to do the fabrication and Jonas to do the final assembly and certification I would not even attempt such a task. Doing a large percentage of the work myself is making this project affordable for me.

Dan Donaldson

Last edited by Craig A; 11-10-2005 at 01:32:54 AM. Reason: repairs tags
Old 11-09-2005, 04:35:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,664 Times in 1,069 Posts

Dan,

Are you going to have it finished in time for the show this weekend at Flywheeler Park, or are you shooting for February?

Jeff Smith
Old 11-10-2005, 12:35:03 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Donaldson
I am keeping fairly detailed time sheets. I have the hours broke down by job type i.e. detail drawings, drilling holes, beveling etc... It will be interesting to see how much time I will have been spent when it is done.

Dan Donaldson

That will be very interesting! I am curious if you could guesstimate the cost, were I to walk into your shop with a handful of blue-prints and say, "Build me one please!".
Old 11-10-2005, 11:00:05 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Smith
Dan,

Are you going to have it finished in time for the show this weekend at Flywheeler Park, or are you shooting for February?

Jeff Smith
I'm shooting for February. I'm just not sure which year though.

Dan