Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Boiler Fabrication

this thread has 460 replies and has been viewed 112851 times

Old 11-10-2005, 11:09:30 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,985 Times in 365 Posts
Default Re: Boiler Fabrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennerjw
That will be very interesting! I am curious if you could guesstimate the cost, were I to walk into your shop with a handful of blue-prints and say, "Build me one please!".
We do estimates for all work that customers bring to us. I did not do an estimate before starting this project because I knew most of the work would be done by me. I knew ahead of time how much material was going to cost me. By using the "real time" sheets that I have been keeping on this job I will be able to estimate the cost of future boilers projects. If I take on another boiler project.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2005, 02:10:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,432 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Donaldson
I'm shooting for February. I'm just not sure which year though.

Dan
I love that statement Dan! I suspect that anyone who has restored a steamer can relate. I know that I didn't expect the Huber to still be a pile of parts 2 years after coming home! I better get busy if I want to build a fire this spring.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:52:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,587 Times in 486 Posts

Dan, I have a 30 H.P. that I am working on right now. Does you boiler have the stay bolts on the front tube sheet right next to the handhole?

I also cut the main steam line off because it is going to be replaced. It appears to be caulked into the sheet, or thread in just through the sheet, and a slip fit into a dry pipe that goes into the steam dome.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:58:18 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LundMachineWorks
Dan, I have a 30 H.P. that I am working on right now. Does you boiler have the stay bolts on the front tube sheet right next to the handhole?

I also cut the main steam line off because it is going to be replaced. It appears to be caulked into the sheet, or thread in just through the sheet, and a slip fit into a dry pipe that goes into the steam dome.
My boiler does not have stay bolts next to the handhole on the front tube sheet.

I assumed that the main steam line was threaded through the front tube sheet and threaded into a coupling just behind the front tube sheet. The coupling joins the steam line that extends through the tube sheet to the steam line inside the boiler that extends back to an elbow that attaches to the pipe that goes up into the steam dome. If you get into your boiler and find something different I sure would like to know how it is arranged. I see the engine listed on your web site but there are not any pictures yet. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Dan Donaldson
Old 11-16-2005, 01:12:09 PM
Subscriber

Jeff,

I see the pictures are there now. Are you planning to take out the top row of tubes? If you do would it be possible for you to get a picture from behind the front tube sheet looking up at the steam pipe?

Dan
Old 11-16-2005, 01:30:11 PM
Subscriber

Jeff,

Who owns the 30 HP A. D. Vance?

Dan
Old 11-16-2005, 02:31:10 PM
Subscriber

Dan, I am planning to take picture from the inside this afternoon, and post them on my website tonight. Kevin and Denis Schirmers of Sauk Center Minnnesota own this engine. Apparently it came from Rollag about 30 years ago. The gearing and other mechanical items are really great. The inside of the boiler is really scaled up. Between the throat sheet and firebox was filled level with scale. There were also two squirrels that were evicted. Sorry PETA.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:23:54 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,333 Posts

Lund Machine Works,
See you've got some pics on the website of the old Reeves I used to own. What all is being done to it? I had heard at one point it was going to get a new boiler, is this right, or did MK change his mind?
Mike McKnight
Old 11-18-2005, 06:13:11 PM
Jim Jake Templin

I don't know how the dry pipe comes out of Advance engines, but on steam locomotives, it is a ground joint. Let me tell you, I have spent ALOT of time with Cloverleaf compound working really big fittings.

aint' what we do fun!?!
Old 11-18-2005, 10:17:01 PM
Subscriber

Mike, the Reeves is going to get a new firebox, barrel, tube sheet, and probably a wet bottom, and other thing that looks bad. The wagon top, backhead and the steam dome is what we are anticipating to re-use.

Jeff Lund