Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Boiler Fabrication

this thread has 460 replies and has been viewed 110374 times

Old 01-06-2006, 05:29:11 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,096 Times in 2,264 Posts
Default Re: Boiler Fabrication

Dan,
Made any more progress lately on the boiler?
Mike M
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2006, 06:31:34 PM
Registered-III

Hi Dan, I just seen your post. I don't have a scan yet but real soon. When I get it I will surely scan some of the illistrations for you. Dan Sheldon
Old 01-07-2006, 08:03:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,963 Times in 361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKnight
Dan,
Made any more progress lately on the boiler?
Mike M
Work was slow to non-existant during the holidays but I am planning to do some work on it today and hopefully we will be finishing up the flanging soon. Another boiler project I will be helping on will take some time away from mine for a couple of weeks as well.

Dan
Old 02-20-2006, 01:00:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,421 Times in 667 Posts

Hey Dan, How is work progressing on your new boiler? Its been awhile since we got an update.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:56:50 PM
Subscriber

Andy,

Yes, you are right, it has been awhile since I posted an update but the truth is I have not gotten much done lately. The shop has been extremely busy lately and it has been hard for John and Jack to find the time to help with the flanging after work. This is the height of show season down hear in Florida right now and I have been busy getting exhibits ready for the shows I attend. Plus, I was in Ohio for a week in January working in Jonas Stutzman’s boiler shop. I ordered the material, the place I work for cut the material and John and Jack formed the pieces for a 6 hp Russell boiler Jonas is building. While I was at Jonas’s shop the boiler was fit and welded together and I was able to help by laying out the locations for the staybolts and tubes and I drilled the holes for the staybolts. I also got to experience installing staybolts in a Port Huron boiler Jonas is doing repairs on. Pictures of the staybolt installation can be seen in the “Tappin’ Zee Boiler” thread.

I know; excuses, excuses, excuses . But I am planning to get back into my boiler project next week after the Florida Flywheeler’s show is over and I will post some more pictures. It bothers me that I have not had the time to work on it but things have been busy and I did not want to miss out on the opportunity to work in Jonas’s shop. It was a great experience that I hope I will be able to do again. Maybe installing staybolts or rivets in my boiler.

Dan
Old 02-20-2006, 07:12:11 PM
Registered-III

Wink Re: Boiler Fabrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Donaldson
This is the height of show season down hear in Florida right now and I have been busy getting exhibits ready for the shows I attend.

Man, you are LUCKY! Even though Tennessee is supposed to be in the "warm, sunny South", we had our second weekend of snow and ice!

Is it bad to hazard a guess one reason it's the height of the show season now, is because it's so dad-blame hot in the summer time? I know around here it gets pretty miserable about June 1st, and doesn't usually back off until 2nd week of Sept. or so. Not a good time to fire a boiler out under the Sun!

Mike

Last edited by Craig A; 02-21-2006 at 10:57:24 AM. Reason: repair tags
Old 02-21-2006, 08:14:48 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKnight
Is it bad to hazard a guess one reason it's the height of the show season now, is because it's so dad-blame hot in the summer time?
It's too hot in the summer and that is when we (Floridians) travel to the north to shows. The show this weekend will have a huge attendance of our northern friends trying to escape the cold.

Dan
Old 02-21-2006, 09:30:47 AM
John

I know at least 5 from this neck of the woods that will be there. A couple of good stationary steam guys and some crawler fans.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:23:56 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,421 Times in 667 Posts

I guess that we can let it go THIS TIME . When I started seeing all of the scale model questions I was worried that you were getting distracted. It sounds like working in the boiler shop was a neat opportunity. I need to drop some hints around here that I would like to help with repairs for the learning experience. I have also been trying to figure out how to get some operating time under my belt. If I get back to work on my engine I can run it when warm weather comes.
Your boiler construction thread has been very interesting to us. Please keep us up to date!
Old 03-04-2006, 10:21:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,901 Times in 859 Posts
Question Re: Boiler Fabrication

Dan,
After all that hard work and expense, are you going to protect your new boiler with a boiler treatment like Terlyn ?
Old 03-04-2006, 10:53:43 PM
Jim Jake Templin

Most really professional boiler men do not recommend Terlyn for rivited boilers. Yep, it will clean them, but it does nothing really to lower oxygen. We had a locomotive that Terlyn was used on with new tubes-they failed within a year due to oxygen pitting.

If anything, I would recommend coating the inside shell with Epexerior-stuff has been around for years and really protects a boiler's inside.

As for treatment, get your water analyzed, and do what it tells you-when it comes to your boiler, one side don't fit all.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:16:01 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Conte
Dan,
After all that hard work and expense, are you going to protect your new boiler with a boiler treatment like Terlyn ?
This a good question and one that I had not concidered. I will have to give this more thought and research.

Dan
Old 03-18-2006, 11:22:13 AM
Subscriber

Jack and I got some work done on the boiler last night. John could not make it. Something about his wife going into labor or something like that.

Here are three pictures of Jack setting up the track torch and cutting the flats off of the barrel. Extra material was added to the developed length of the barrel because the roll cannot roll the first and last few inches of plate. Another remedy is to bump the ends in the brake press to the desired radius, but this leaves bend lines that are not very pleasing the eyes.

The fourth picture is of Jack beveling the edges of the plate. This is a weld prep so the long seem can get a full penetration butt weld. The tool Jack is using is a hand held beveller which is basically no more than a 1 HP motor with a mill head on the end of the shaft. It is adjustable and does a muck better job and is faster than a grinder.

We also trimmed the flats off of the steam dome shell.

The holes were also drilled in the 2¾” thick steel, block for forming the throat sheet flange that goes around the bottom of the barrel. The block will be bolted to the throat sheet and the forming will take place later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 015.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	7665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 016.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	7666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 017.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	7667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 018.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	7668  

Old 03-23-2006, 10:51:30 AM
Subscriber

Last night a decided a wanted to fit-up the steam dome shell to the steam dome head.

The first picture shows the steam dome head and the shell. The head is a ½” thick flanged head I bought from L.A. Boiler Works out of Oklahoma. I am real happy with this head because it was formed in a press and it has a nice tight knuckle radius. You can see that the shell ends lap just like the barrel did. The end of the shell that butts to the barrel is already coped with the sine curve stitch burned. The sine curve was stitch burned so that the plate would have the same width as it was rolled. Otherwise the varying width would cause the roll to be inconsistent. Last week Jack and I trimmed the extra material off of the shell.

I figured I could wrap a chain jack around the shell a squeeze it tight around the head and tack it in place. This turned out to be more difficult to accomplish than I had anticipated and I wound up needing a second set of hands and someone to tack weld pad-eyes to aid in this task. Ronnie, who works on our night shift, helped me with this.

As you can see in the second picture it took a lot of squeezing and pulling to get every thing to line up properly. We had two chain jacks, a push/pull (a tool that works like a turn buckle that can either push pieces apart or pull them together), a quick clamp (Betsy), four pad-eyes and two C-clamps to finally get everything worked into position.

The third picture is after we got everything tacked together and we are taking off all of the tools. The long seam is beveled with a 1/8” gap so a full penetration weld can be made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 021.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	7801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 019.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	7802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 020.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	7803  
Old 03-23-2006, 02:06:31 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,568 Times in 479 Posts

Dan, I hope that you used code material for your pulling fixture. Otherwise you need a weld procedure to do that.

Jeff L.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:28:05 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LundMachineWorks
Dan, I hope that you used code material for your pulling fixture. Otherwise you need a weld procedure to do that.

Jeff L.
Jeff,

I do not know if Minnesota (every state has its own querks) is different than the two states that I am dealing with or not but I have been told by two different ASME fab shops that temporary pad-eyes or clips do not have to be code material. They will be removed and the weld ground off. Anything that is perminently welded inside or outside of the vessel that is not part of the pressure boundry does not have to be code material (perminent lifting eyes, support angles, compression rings etc...) unless the engineer specifies such material for specific tensile strength. If I am wrong about this please tell me where in the code it is stated that temporary fit-up tabs need to be code material. If one of the National Board inspectors who view this message board can show me where this is in the code I would like to see it as well as the ASME shops I am familiar with. I have witnessed in both ASME and AISC major bridge fabrication where inspectors require fabricators to do all sorts of things that are not in the code for no reason other than because they believe it should be done a certain way.

Dan
Old 03-23-2006, 06:41:36 PM
Registered-III

Dan,
Don't know if you've heard it or not, but under the new boiler code we're going to have to use coded material wood and coal to fire our beasties with from now on.....

Mike
Old 03-23-2006, 07:10:04 PM
Registered-III

Mike,

Don't forget ASME Brand bottled water.

Mike Too.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:13:43 PM
Jim Jake Templin

Don't forget that boilermakers have to use ASME/National board approved, uh, er, Latrine Cellulose Personal Cleaning material.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:42:16 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,466 Times in 542 Posts

I have heard that the National Board is currently conducting tests in their lab concerning ASME water properties.........

Well, maybe not.

Generally, Dan is correct. If a temporary fixture or permanant fixture is attached to the boiler and is not a pressure boundry or a pressure load bearing member, it does not have to be code material. The weld is not inspected as a pressure boundry weld, but SHOULD be comparable to other code welds made on the vessel so as not to cause any type of metal failure at that point. Most shops and inspectors don't pay a lot of attention to temprorary parts or welds that are removed prior to the finished product.

Mark Jordan, boiler inspector and purveyor of code fuels