Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

How Many Whistles Does Your Collection Contain?

this thread has 101 replies and has been viewed 14174 times

View Poll Results: How Many Whistles Does Your Collection Contain?
1-3 72 36.55%
4-6 43 21.83%
7-10 31 15.74%
10-15 18 9.14%
16 or more 33 16.75%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2009, 09:07:46 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: How Many Whistles Does Your Collection Contain?

Andy, I believe you're right.
Tom
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2009, 01:38:14 AM
Registered-II

I'm going to jump on this.My cousin Mike has a real good collection of whistles.He has two locomotive whistles and he also has two off of a steam ship which would problely stand four and half feet tall if not more.I think it would take alot of steam to blow these babies and would most likely blow the ear drums out of you but would be interesting to hear.Maybe if Mike could share some info on these's than we would know more.
Jason
Old 01-06-2010, 11:13:36 AM

Thanked 12,819 Times in 3,884 Posts

A better question might be: How many whistles do you have on your engine that you use?

I have just one on the Port Huron plus the little brass bell. The canopy negates the sound of a large whistle and there isn't room coming off of the dome. I won't put a whistle on the wagon sheet.

The 32 Reeves has the large steam boat whistle and maybe one or 2 smaller ones.

The Nichols has the RR whistle, a RR bell, and a smaller whistle.

Therefore, I can loan Onkel G one for his Gaar if he brings it over!

Beth
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 11:40:38 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,211 Times in 375 Posts

I resisted posting on this subject cause I know I'll get shot full of holes but someone needs to keep alive the thoughts of old time threshermen long gone.

A very close friend of mine that knew engines inside and out, who could set a valve gear in his sleep told me. "9 times out of 10 when you see more than one whistle on an engine the engine isn't worth a $hit and neither is the engineer".

Watching engines on the prony brake and plowing I have to say he's right. Another one from Threshers Review "steam that blows the whistle will never turn the wheel".

After saying that I do have a few whistles on the shelf but have sold quite a few over the years as I figured I'd rather have the money from an over valued whistle of brass to put toward cast iron.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gleaner For This Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 03:49:42 PM

Ed,

I would not disagree with the old thresherman's logic. If all an engine did was sit & blow whistles, that is a total waste of steam.

However, noon whistles at shows can be fun to see who has control over the whistle. Some go to extremes and don't know how to quit (seems to me there was a 20 NS at NTA that almost got the whistle cord removed and knows better for 2010), but it is fun to hear those who know how to play a mockingbird, siren and others.

Like I said, I have one whistle on my Port-the one that Blaker had on it. It is illogical that I have several more, both large and small, but most of mine has sentimental connections.

Thanks again for the photos that you sent last year!

Beth
Old 01-06-2010, 05:51:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,438 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleaner View Post
I resisted posting on this subject cause I know I'll get shot full of holes but someone needs to keep alive the thoughts of old time threshermen long gone.
A very close friend of mine that knew engines inside and out, who could set a valve gear in his sleep told me. "9 times out of 10 when you see more than one whistle on an engine the engine isn't worth a $hit and neither is the engineer".
Watching engines on the prony brake and plowing I have to say he's right. Another one from Threshers Review "steam that blows the whistle will never turn the wheel".
I'm not going to shoot you full of holes. Your friend is certainly entitled to his opinion. I'll offer another point of view though. Neither me or my engine are the best but I think that we are worth a little more than a shit. I wish that I could set a valve gear in my sleep but I can't. I have done the best that I know how with my eyes open though and I think that my engine runs pretty good. I'm no expert engineer but I do my best to get better every time I run an engine. The Huber has 2.5 whistles and I enjoy the hell out of blowing them just because I can. I earned the money to pay for them, I returned the engine to working condition, I maintain the engine and boiler, I got the enigine to the show, I did the work to get up steam, and I will do the work to put the engine up when I'm finished. So far as I'm concerned, I've earned the "wasted steam" that goes into blowing those whistles. I really fail to see the point of building steam pressure if I can't make a little noise!
"There's just something about steam!"

Last edited by AndyG; 01-06-2010 at 06:41:37 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndyG For This Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 06:14:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 27,104 Times in 6,827 Posts

ANDY!
Can you really say "shit" on Smokstak?
As a boy, growing up alongside the Canadian National Railway main line, I watched the big streamlined passenger engines streak by under steam! That engineer looked like the mostest important man in the world and I would have given anything to have had a chance to be up in the cab with him! And you know, as high up and powerful as those ol' hoggers were, they never let a chance slip by to give a young farm boy a toot on the ol' whistle!
As for the old timers' passing judgement on today's whistle blowing tractioneers, here's a little whiff of wisdom an old timer passed on to me: "any man (or woman) who tells you they never laid in bed at night and pulled the sheets over their head after letting go a little "toot", is a damnable liar!"!
Same might be said of anti-whistlers!
G.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 01-08-2010, 12:12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth V View Post
A better question might be: How many whistles do you have on your engine that you use?

Beth
So back to this part of the thread.....How many whistles do you have on your engine?

When I was little, JP Smith had quite the collection on his 12 hp Frick and we ALWAYS looked forward to the performance during the parade.

Thanks
Beth
Old 01-09-2010, 07:48:51 PM

I tried to add a Port Huron single chime whistle to my collection, but alas I was too cheap It went for $380.

Beth
Old 01-22-2010, 08:25:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,534 Posts

It toots, so I'm posting it!
Picked this up in the gift shop at the Colorado Railroad Museum in the early '80s. All metal construction 5 tube. Made to be mouth blown, but the inside diameter is sized to take a 3/8 NPT tap, so I did that and added a blow gun valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whistle.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	72018  

I Can Probably Fix That
The Following User Says Thank You to John Newman, Jr. For This Post: