Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Relining (renewing) clutch pully shoes

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1612 times

Old 05-30-2012, 01:22:11 AM
Registered

Default Relining (renewing) clutch pully shoes

I have an IHC clutch pully for my 3 hp M. Yes, I know, it also fits the 2 1/2 hp Mogul, but it is going on the M (I need something for the M to do besides start on the first crank and chug away). As stuck as the clevis pins were, it came apart amazingly easy after heat, oil after heat (SMOKIN'!) and providing backing prior to trying to drive the pins out. As an aside, there is a rather elegant solution to fixing the shoes on the pin, which allows the shoes to float (pivot) on the pin.

After disassembly and cleanup, I observed one of the clutch shoes is worn down into the rivets, and the rivets were starting to scour the clutch drum (it had a replacement pin through a clutch shoe, and it was not adjusted right, so one side wore more). The shoe is wood, held on by soft iron rivets, riveted into a cast iron backing.

SO:

Should I use it as a static display? The worn shoe is trying to split, I dipped both in WATCO oil which will polymerize over a week or so. I plan to drill, glue and brass bolt (rivet the bolt over) through the split. This should stabilize the splitting shoe. The rivet heads will still scour the drum if I try to use it under load.

OR:

Is it possible (has it been done?) to glue a leather facing (for example) on the shoes to renew the surface, assuming there is enough adjustment to do this.

The glue I am using is Gorilla Glue, an expansive glue that is as permanent as anything I have found. It will not wash off your fingers, it has to wear off, and it is black till it does. Due to the uneven surfaces, Super Glue or equivalent will not work.

The wood shoes are cut to shape, not steamed and bent to shape. Shaping new shoes are a possibility, but rather low on the interest meter (probably lower than the static option), and I wonder about the fine line between setting the rivets so everything is snug, and shattering the cast iron backing.

Comment and discussion is welcomed and encouraged, thanx. Sorry, I am digitally-camera-challenged, if there is a huge cry for pix I can get a friend to do it.

David Hughes
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2012, 01:32:01 PM
Registered

Default Re: Relining (renewing) clutch pully shoes

I know it is low on your interest meter, but your best option is to make new shoes. A band saw or a jig saw will cut them out of white oak in a matter of minutes.

JW
Old 05-30-2012, 02:34:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,735 Times in 504 Posts

I would agree, make new shoes. That way it is fixed right and if you ever want to fully use it in the future you dont have to worry.
Do it once. Do it right.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:57:30 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,137 Posts

if you are going to try and save them, go to your local lumber store and buy a roll or two of birch wood laminant on a roll. it comes in 1-2-3-4" widths and isn't that expensive. layer it over the old wood shoe and build up the thickness to whatever you need it. you can also use the old wood shoe to build up the thin layers of laminant to get the thickness you need, only using the old shoe as a form. you can then cut and drill the new laminated one as a replacement.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:49:59 PM
Subscriber

The M clutch pulleys I've had seemed to have a softer wood like pine in the shoes. The shape is easy to cut and the whole repair shouldn't be too involved.

Incidently, the M parts book EC-1 says 3hp clutch pulleys were only for export. Mine came from Canada. It's in Oklahoma, now.