Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Looking for Goold shapley and muir 3 1/2HP parts and to contact others needing parts

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2377 times

Old 03-08-2013, 08:20:54 PM
Subscriber

Default Looking for Goold shapley and muir 3 1/2HP parts and to contact others needing parts

I have a 3 1/2HP goold that is missing most of the smaller parts and i'm trying to find out what parts are out there. Also would like to hear from others looking for parts to see if we can get some more engines complete and running. Also would like to know if anything besides the igniter is the same on the other size engines (maybe 6Hp ?), as in the fuel pump or gov. parts ect. The ser. no. is 4020 and it never had a crank guard so I'm also wondering what the correct oiler/greaser setup would be?
Thanks, Nathan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0013.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	159990  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 08:58:47 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Looking for Goold shapley and muir 3 1/2HP parts and to contact others needing pa

Hey Nathan.
Pretty sure the governor weights and perhaps the governor gear is the same for a 3 1/2 & 6 but thats about where it ends. The cradle assembly has different hole spacing.
The ignitor trip could easily be shortened off a 6 as well as the pushrod and brass tube for the fuel pump. I believe all the parts that attach to the tube are the same for those sizes (see first pic) as well as the tip for the pushrod.
If you check some of your castings they should be marked with an 'A' that indicates the 2nd smallest size of basic body GSM used in their horizontal engines.
On second thought the speed control linkage and perhaps the fork for the ignitor trip (pic 2)could be the right size but our 3.5 is spark plug fired so I don't have access to one to measure.
And on the parts we do have a few parts for 3.5, 6 & 8 hp engines horizontal engines but not enough to piece one together from scraps I'm afraid.

J
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Huron East-20120503-00009.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	159992  
Old 03-08-2013, 09:04:57 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Looking for Goold shapley and muir 3 1/2HP parts and to contact others needing pa

Ooops, forgot pic 2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bluewater-20120503-00014.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	159993  
Old 03-10-2013, 12:02:33 AM
Subscriber

Hi Sad Iron,
Thanks for the info on the push rod and sleeve, Do you know if the fuel pump on the 6hp is the same just with a longer stroke?. Do you have a chance to complete an 8hp as ken meeks has some 8 and 18hp parts if that helps.
Nathan.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26:20 AM
Registered-III

Hey Nathan
I think they may be the same as they thread in, the 8hp and larger is a 4 bolt flange and the flange is larger again for the 12, and again for the 15 etc
I don't think the plunger length matters because it can be changed by the brass lever that actuates it.
Our 8 is complete however I do have a spare exhaust manifold for one...

J
Old 03-13-2013, 11:39:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Sad Iron,
I have tried scaling off photos and as near as I can tell the pumps are the same on the 3 1/2hp and 6hp. Does anyone have a pump for one of these that they could measure and post the size of the mounting thread, outside width of ears on plunger end and size of the plunger. If I can get spec.s for both then we will know for sure if they are the same.
Thanks, Nathan.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:55:09 PM
Subscriber

Hi...... I have a 3 1/2 GS&M engine and have measured up the fuel/injection pump for you. The threaded ends of the posts are 5/16" , the ears on the pump are 2" apart center to center, the plunger is 7/16".
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Oct.2011 011.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	160451  

James Bosma You Tube
Old 03-15-2013, 05:16:24 PM
Registered-III

My 6 hp has a 1/2" plunger and posts are 2-3/8" apart so they are not exchangeable . The 8 hp has a 9/16 " plunger so there is a little more engineering involved than first thought. My 3-1/2 hp has a 3/8" plunger not a 7/16 like Owen's, not sure why the difference.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:52:47 PM
Subscriber

Owen / Brian,
Thanks a lot for taking the time to check your pumps, Unfortunately it seems that they are different. It's interesting to find they used different sized plungers, perhaps one early / one late?. So Any chance someone has a 3 1/2hp pump that I could borrow as a pattern? or anyone willing to make a plaster cast of there pump?. I would be happy to cast extras or do machining ect. in exchange for any of the parts I need or even for measurements for the machined parts .
Nathan.