Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Emmerson Compressor Motor Needs Part to make compressor run again.

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 811 times

Old 10-08-2017, 10:19:00 AM
Subscriber

Default Emmerson Compressor Motor Needs Part to make compressor run again.

I have a nice 2 stage air compressor that I use to run tools and spray paint. Irma drowned it (along with other stuff) I dismantled the compressor and cleaned it out and did the same with the motor. I replaced the bearings and it is actually fine except for a plastic disc on a part on the end of the shaft that switches the starting circuit. I cannot get one, I can't even find it in any parts provider online. Emerson does not support their motors since they sold out to US motors. I am frustrated. I bought it for scrap and made it work. It survived Irma, I can make it work again. I can't afford another. A plastic disc is broken and I can't get another assembly! Frustrating. Can anyone suggest where to get another part? Used is fine. Here are the numbers.
Emerson Compressor Motor LR63596
Model T6eBXCDL-1248
Mfg # C04
Part has a number 219588 on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02901.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	293105  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2017, 11:36:11 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Emmerson Compressor motor needs part to make compressor run again.

I may have asked too soon. I found that they are called Centrifugal switches and with that I found some on Amazon. Those go by shaft size and I think this one might be right. I will pull the bearing off and get the ols one off so I can measure. This does not look exactly the same but if the diameter fits do you think it will fit? They are cheap so I will try one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L19-304Y-Ele...8AAOSwhlZZ2Y9q

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...DOWP300U&psc=1
Old 10-08-2017, 12:33:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,394 Times in 930 Posts

If worse comes to worst, and you are unable to repair the centrifugal switch, you could always use a potential relay to switch the start winding instead.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:05:18 PM
Subscriber

ch. I removed the switch. The body of it was plastic and stuck to the shaft so I had to destroy it to get it off. The siamater if the switch hole was exactly 20mm. It was deep and fitted against a ledge(?) in the shaft which kept it in place. I can get this 20mm one which is not deep at all. I would have to create a sleeve of some metal or PVC pipe to support it or simply depend on the existing crud on the shaft to hold it in the right place.

https://smile.amazon.com/uxcell-L20-...al+Switch+20mm

I can also get this one which is deeper, has set screws but is 19mm and would have to be filed or drilled out a bit. That does not look easy and I can't force it because of the plastic. Which way would you go? I am also looking for a deeper 20mm or one with set screws but no luck so far.

https://smile.amazon.com/a16010500ux...rifugal+switch

---------- Post added at 01:05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
you could always use a potential relay to switch the start winding instead.
I have no experience in this. Is it a good solution and is it difficult to do?

Last edited by Kanoona; 10-08-2017 at 01:16:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:53:32 PM
Subscriber

You can also get a switch from these guys, http://www.torq.com/motor-and-switch...ent-parts.html Have used them a few times and was able to fix $400 motors for around $25.
The Following User Says Thank You to G.M.Johnson For This Post:
Old 10-08-2017, 06:51:11 PM
Gary Barber

I vote for the potential switch even though not explosion proof the spark will be contained within the relay box instead of the open motor windings exposed to shop air possibly having enough vapor to be explosive
Old 10-09-2017, 10:07:39 AM
Subscriber

Smokinflux
I like this solution. I did not understand the variables required in picking a centrifugal switch and this seems to offer the best choice. I'll see if there is one that matches. I have ordered the closest one I could find. Thanks.

The Potential switch does look good but has the potential for me to screw up.

Last edited by Kanoona; 10-09-2017 at 01:36:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:49:36 AM
Registered-I

Did you get a centrifugal switch yet? When assembling you need to be able to check a few things. First the switch must fit the shaft, but the plastic disc must also contact the the switch assembly mounted on the endbell of the motor. Second, when running the disc retracts and must not be in contact with the switch arms or things are going to wear quickly. Lastly when stopped, the disc must not only contact the switch arms, but most importantly it must close the contacts. The easiest way I have found, is to remove the shaft from the motor and assemble it and the switches to the endbell so you can see how it works. Good luck