Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Milling Machine: Bridgeport vs MSC 'knock-off'

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 2018 times

Old 11-13-2017, 02:18:46 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Milling Machine: Bridgeport vs MSC 'knock-off'

So you still couldn't be bothered to search "Meehanite". I guess ignorance is bliss.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2017, 10:57:35 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
If you can't even spell Meehanite you should just STFU.
The misinformation on these forums is alarming, Perhaps there should be some moderation in this regard. I am not a fan of censorship but a lie is a lie and deserves no leniency
That qualifies as a personal attack, which is in fact grounds for being thrown off...
Smokstak member #442
Old 11-13-2017, 12:25:28 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
So you still couldn't be bothered to search "Meehanite". I guess ignorance is bliss.
Just for you I looked it up and found that ductile iron is one formulation of meehanite. Surprising how many different types of meehanite there is , some hard and some soft, some acid resistant. Yet there is even a grade for high strength and wear. While it is a process, its actually many processes for what you are looking to use the material for. To use the name meehanite you have to be authorized to use it. Its a trade mark. Free PDF books here.

http://meehanitemetal.com/technical-lit/

I have seen name tags on the back of machines and including CNC machines which say meehanite. Yet when you drill different machines you will find different hardness of the cast iron. I have drilled and bored for ball locks to be mounted in the table on brand new CNC mills. It gives you an odd feeling to be drilling the table on a brand new machine that hasn't made a part yet.

Richard W.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard W. For This Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 04:01:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,103 Times in 3,425 Posts
Wink Re: Milling Machine: Bridgeport vs MSC 'knock-off'

[QUOTE=tdmidget;1435413]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W. View Post
On import machines you want to see a big M cast into the front of the column just above the vertical ways (Z axis). The earlier mills were made of ductile iron and they lasted about 5 to 6 years in a machine shop. Most likely last a home shop for ever, depending on amount of use.The M stands for mehinite (spelling?) cast iron and it holds up a lot better. I found that a lot of parts off a Bridgeport just fit right on to a Jet mill. (Taiwan)

Throwing the BS flag here. The Meehanite process was patented in 1931. Meehanite is not a material, it is a process. Specifically for cast irons of various properties. Ductile iron was invented in 1943 and the patent granted in 1949.
If you can't even spell Meehanite you should just STFU.
The misinformation on these forums is alarming, Perhaps there should be some moderation in this regard. I am not a fan of censorship but a lie is a lie and deserves no leniency
Even IF Meehanite is a process and not a material, it is apparently a Process for Making Better Material.

So What's The Problem ?

If Meehanite Processed Material is Superior then Go For It.

No Harm No Foul No Need to get your panties in a bunch and act all Meehanite (Superior ) to everyone.

Perhaps we should all be saying "Cold Process Rolled Steel" and "Hot Process Rolled Steel" instead of "Cold Rolled Steel" & "Hot Rolled Steel".

The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post: