Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

AU85 Flywheel Removal?

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 2075 times

Old 08-19-2017, 07:32:18 AM
Registered

Default AU85 Flywheel Removal?

I have a Continental AU85 engine I'm trying to get running...as of now, the flywheel is jammed too far onto its shaft, causing the flywheel to be very tightly jammed against what I assume is the stator plate. I need to pull it away just a bit - ideally, I'd like to be able to remove the flywheel for inspection/wiring replacement. My trouble is, there are NO access holes to fabricate some kind of a puller mount, nor is there any room whatsoever to access the flywheel's rim from behind it. Anybody have a clever way to get the flywheel off? My only solution seems to be drilling through the flywheel face and threading the holes so's I can get some puller bolts mounted. I'm just a touch hesitant. Is there any other way? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2017, 11:24:17 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: AU85 flywheel removal??

Can you hold onto it by the flywheel and have someone hit the crank with a BFH? Maybe the B should stand for Brass in this case though Pretty crude but...
Old 08-19-2017, 11:22:24 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: AU85 flywheel removal??

Clean the shaft as much as possible, wire wheel is good. Apply penetrant such as Kroil. No witch doctor crap. Suspend it from the flywheel rim with as much weight as possible hanging from the flywheel rim. Heat the rim ONLY with as much heat as you can apply rapidly, rosette tip is good. Heat the rim evenly , to about 700 F if you have an IF thermometer. Tap the shaft with a brass hammer. It should move, maybe fall out.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:49:24 AM
Registered

Default Re: AU85 flywheel removal?

Thanks for the advice! Thing is, there's no real way for me to get a grip on the flywheel - it's smacked tight up against the stator plate/engine block, and there are no edges, bolt holes, access slots, etc. that would give me a chance of exerting any kind of grip/force whatsoever on the flywheel. I've already tried giving the the end of the crank a fairly healthy smack in the hopes that just that alone would shock the the system enough to cause the entire engine to "jump" back from the flywheel...certainly, heat on the flywheel would've been a great idea (and maybe would have worked) - along with maybe a harder hit. But I was too chicken to really hit the end of the crank with however much King Kong force I could apply. Makes me wonder how in the world someone would have gone about removing the flywheel if it hadn't been tightened the extra micron that has it now too firmly wedged in place. Under normal circumstances, there couldn't have been more than 1/16" of clearance between the flywheel rim and what it's now pressed up against. But I will try heat and another hammer hit. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2017, 01:07:44 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: AU85 flywheel removal?

You are wise to be careful of the hammer. Mushrooming the crankshaft will make it much worse. Any way to post a pic of the situation?
Old 08-21-2017, 10:07:13 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: AU85 Flywheel Removal?

Any chance you can post a few photos, including a face-on view of the flywheel? I am not familiar with the Continental engine, but I have seen a few engines where they have bosses for flywheel puller holes cast into the flywheel, complete with centering divots, but not drilled out and tapped. Is the flywheel iron or aluminum alloy? If it is iron then sometimes a wack on the rim of the flywheel with a brass hammer can cause it to come loose. Sounds brutal but I have seen it work. DON"T try this with an alloy flywheel! Agreed that hammering on the end of the crank can cause mushrooming - sometimes a close-fitting cap on the end of the crank can be used to prevent this. One thing to remember - if you do resort to the hammer you need one good solid blow to shock the flywheel loose- a lot of light tapping is guaranteed to mushroom the crank (or protection cap if you use one) without ever getting the flywheel to shock free. And use a steel (or brass) hammer - any thing softer (lead or plastic "dead blow") won't give you the shock you need to have it come loose.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:02:17 PM
Registered

beezerbill, thanks for your reply. Here're two pictures of my flywheel situation: one, attempting to show how the outer rim of the flywheel is jammed against the rest of the engine, preventing me from getting behind the flywheel in any way. The other picture, is the face of the flywheel: there are, indeed, three concave bosses(?) around the hub - they look like places to carefully drill/tap for puller bolts. There are a series of dead-end holes around the outer edge of the flywheel. They look like the wrong places to attempt a drill/tap/puller attempt. Sorry - forgot to check whether the flywheel is iron or alloy. What do you think? Readymade places to drill and tap? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0813.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	289175   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0814.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	289176  
Old 08-21-2017, 06:24:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,617 Times in 454 Posts

Sharpen a few cheap flat screwdrivers, hammer them in on opposite sides, they will go in if sharp
Give shaft hit as mentioned.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:51:59 PM
Registered-II

I'd assume that the shaft is tapered where the flywheel fits on to it. Is that a fair thing to think? If so, it's hard to believe that the flywheel could have been pushed "too far onto the shaft".

What's the chance that either the "stator Plate" has moved forward, or that some shimming of the crankshaft to make up for end play is to blame?

Pete Stanaitis
---------------
Old 08-21-2017, 08:19:56 PM
Registered

I'm not positive, but reasonably sure, that the shaft is tapered. But, regardless, the flywheel is jammed onto the shaft far enough so that the flywheel is now bound tight against the engine. The problem occurred when some idiot who looks very much like me thought it might be a good idea to spin the engine (instead of endlessly cranking it over) with an impact driver.