Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Harbor Freight 20 Ton Press

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 930 times

Old 10-25-2017, 07:09:01 AM
Registered

Default Harbor Freight 20 Ton Press

I recently purchased a Harbor Freight 20 Ton Press and I am really liking it. I thought that some of you maybe interested in seeing it so I am sharing a short video on it that I made on it with you.

https://youtu.be/VM8Pc55A88Q
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to preeber For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2017, 08:16:38 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Harbor Freight 20 Ton Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by preeber View Post
I recently purchased a Harbor Freight 20 Ton Press and I am really liking it. I thought that some of you maybe interested in seeing it so I am sharing a short video on it that I made on it with you.

https://youtu.be/VM8Pc55A88Q
I made a cider press out of one, 2 years ago! Much cheaper than fabricating the frame out of hard maple.
Works great! Even my 5 year old grandson, can operate it!
Ed
Old 10-25-2017, 09:29:58 PM
Registered-III

I bought one a year ago because I needed to push a piston out of a mogul and this seemed like a cheap solution. It is definitely cheap but did the job and I have no complaints! I think with my coupon it was only $140. I actually just used it again today to push some bearing cones on a differential. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a low cost press. Harbor freight has been the butt of many jokes (a lot from me!!) but lately I have noticed there quality improving dramatically. I just bought one of there new Bauer band saws and love it. Decent quality at a low price $99.00. I am intrigued by the new hercules cordless tools and vulcan welders. They look like very good quality.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:28:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,304 Posts

I bought a pair of the vulcan tig welding gloves,not bad for the money.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:50:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,583 Times in 1,389 Posts

Sorry I have to be the one to throw cold water here, but I've used a lot of presses and those that use a bottle jack are just not as good as one with a rigid-mounted cylinder...the ram will not stay in alignment & they tend to cock off to one side when you get serious with it, especially if you're pushing on somethin long & skinny. They are, however better than nothing & you can use the jack for other purposes...smokin' deal that you got a free jack, that makes it better.
I've noticed that most presses, even the 50 ton "Carolina Traveler" press I have, are really good for about half what they're labeled...
I improved my 50 tonner by taking an old boat winch & some cable and making a lift system for the table. It's heavy enough that moving it up or down was a PITA, especially for one guy...
The cable, incidentally, was from a Harbor Freight winch that lasted exactly 30 seconds on the Autocrane on my service truck.
Smokstak member #442
Old 10-26-2017, 05:43:27 AM
Registered-III

Hi

I got a used one a couple of years ago and find it works well.

I do agree it is not the commercial 20 ton press we had in the shop years ago but as long as you pay attention to what you are doing it is quite usable.

Phil P
Old 10-26-2017, 03:57:45 PM
Registered-III

Got to read the fine print on the made in China store tools.

Just looked at the latest super coupons they emailed me. Big sale on torque wrenches. Read the coupon and they are amazingly accurate at 4%. I bet I can do better then that with my old beam wrenches, one I got for free.

Was almost going to go get one of the welding hoods until I read that. My eyes are wort the extra cost to stay away from something that may not work when I need it. And as much as I weld, I can use a old school hood with no batteries or solar panels on it.