Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > The Junque Drawer
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

The Junque Drawer Excess tools, parts or books that might be rare and that someone else might need. This is NOT a buy and sell forum.

The Junque Drawer

Wood Shipping Barrel with Metal I.D. - Railroad? - D.S.P. Chicago Via New Orleans

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1268 times

Old 03-05-2017, 10:51:53 PM
Registered

Default Wood Shipping Barrel with Metal I.D. - Railroad? - D.S.P. Chicago Via New Orleans

I am currently researching this shipping barrel with a large metal blue and white tag. The underside of the barrel is covered in metal similar to galvanized tin. Being that it is made from plywood and that it says "Made in Japan" on the last line I suspect its post WWII.

I strongly suspect the tag may refer to transport via railroad, but I am not which one. I see Southern Pacific Transportation Company serviced both of these cities at one point via this article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southe...tation_Company

Any idea of what it might of contained?

The Following User Says Thank You to tabbyapple For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2017, 02:48:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,574 Times in 3,626 Posts
Default Re: Wood Shipping Barrel with Metal I.D. - Railroad ? - D.S.P. Chicago Via New Orlean

If I'm reading this right, I would guess it to be either from between 1921 and 1946 or After 1952 with the "Made In Japan" marking on it.

https://www.kovels.com/collectors-qu...-in-japan.html

As it says: ""Most pieces marked with the name of a country were made after 1891, when the McKinley Tariff Act was passed. Pieces from Japan were marked “Nippon,” the transliteration of the Japanese word for Japan. After 1915 the words “Made in…” were usually added. Beginning in 1921, U.S. Customs required country names to be in English, and the word “Japan” was used instead of “Nippon.” Items marked “Made in Occupied Japan” were made between February 1947 and April 1952. After that, just the word “Japan” was used again.""

Which I am reading as: Just the word NIPPON from 1891 to 1915, then in 1915 the words “Made in" were added for (Made in NIPPON)” with that being 1915 to 1921, then from 1921 to 1946 they would be "Made in JAPAN",
Items marked “Made in Occupied Japan” from 1947 to 1952.
Then after that, just the word “Japan” was used again.

Plywood has been around long before WWII as my 37 Ford Truck had a plywood floorboard and the seat-frame was also cut out of plywood.

A quick search on that came up with: "The first patent for what could be called plywood was issued December 26, 1865, to John K. Mayo of New York City", even though some websites claim it was 'invented' during WWII for building PT boats.

Hard telling what they might have shipped in it though.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:36:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,489 Times in 1,731 Posts
Default Re: Wood Shipping Barrel with Metal I.D. - Railroad ? - D.S.P. Chicago Via New Orlean

A few decades back we bought out the inventory of a fastener store, there were about 200 buckets built like that full of nuts, bolts, and washers.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:52:48 AM
Subscriber

Agree with fasteners, used to call these nail kegs.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:19:06 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Wood Shipping Barrel with Metal I.D. - Railroad? - D.S.P. Chicago Via New Orleans

D. S. P. might mean this http://www.whiskeyprof.com/distilled...k-in-progress/
The Following User Says Thank You to Jake Jacobs For This Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 05:04:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,574 Times in 3,626 Posts
Default Re: Wood Shipping Barrel with Metal I.D. - Railroad? - D.S.P. Chicago Via New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Jacobs View Post
Maybe shipping Grain to Distilleries for some custom blend of Saki/Whiskey ?

Old 09-20-2017, 02:20:44 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies! I've completed some more research.

1. I am thinking of the 1952 and later time period as the front i.d. is made from aluminum, which would likely not have been used for a throw away i.d. tag during the earlier period of 1921 to 1946 when it was prized as a war material and still regarded as a somewhat exotic material in daily use.

2. I don't think it was used to contain anything of significant weight as the lower galvanized bottom is attached with just 14 staples. The barrel itself is made from two layers of 3/32" thick ply. There is a 2" wide area along the vertical seam where the outer ply overlaps to briefly create a 3 ply thickness. Most of the nail kegs I have owned are made from sturdier wood and use nails and are designed to hold very heavy weights.

3. The fact that wood was used also likely indicates it is not of modern construction as many countries now have restrictions on pallets and other wood shipping containers due to the fact that harmful insects can be transported from country to country by making homes within the wood and/or by laying eggs in the wood.

4. Interesting find about the grain.

Using a barrel size 12" diameter x 17" tall its volume is approximately 1,923 inches. Cooked brown rice would weigh around 59 pounds.

http://www.esake.com/Knowledge/Ingre...Rice/rice.html

http://ncalculators.com/area-volume/...calculator.htm

5. Very interesting it came from Japan to New Orleans and then onto Chicago, likely by railroad, which would suggest a needed capacity to take on larger cargo ships. In contrast some documents for a Japanese citizen who arrived in the U.S. in 1871, with several other colleges, show them arriving on a passenger steam ship in California and then traveling overland to the East Coast.

6. I'd say the Illinois Central Railroad is the best bet. After arriving in Chicago it appears the barrel departed on its Western branch as its Cedar Falls, Iowa, to Albert Lea, MN, branch passes right through the area where it was purchased at a farm sale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Central_Railroad

http://www.american-rails.com/illinois-central.html

I think that makes more sense than the Southern Pacific Transportation Company, whose line does pass across Iowa, but is farther south.
The Following User Says Thank You to tabbyapple For This Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 12:13:42 AM
eMail NOT Working

The container is probably made of something indigenous to Japan... cut thin into a sheet and wrapped around a drum with glue to make a ply tube... some type of Bamboo wood, perhaps.

They were used for many things, one of the more interesting was for a dozen or so hotel-grade plates, with padding between, and wrapped around, into the tube, with padding at top and bottom, and the ends stapled on. A railroad would buy them ten-tubes-at-a-time in the 50's... and use them at their railway dining cars, but also at the railroad-owned hotels. I don't think they were ever used for fancy sets, just nice institutional-grade pieces.
The Following User Says Thank You to dkamp For This Post: