Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > The Junque Drawer
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

The Junque Drawer Excess tools, parts or books that might be rare and that someone else might need. This is NOT a buy and sell forum.

The Junque Drawer

Auto Books and Service Manuals

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1338 times

Old 07-07-2016, 01:07:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,810 Posts
Default Auto Books and Service Manuals

Since nobody on Ebay wants to bid on these, I'll offer them to Stackers free for the shipping.

The books will fit into a USPS flat rate box which ships anywhere in the lower 48 for $18.75.

Here's what you get:
- Autopress Ltd. Workshop manual for the Rover 2000, 2000TC and 2000SC, 1963-72.
- Genuine factory workshop manual for the same cars as above. This is a thick book covering everything about the cars. Includes two supplements.
- Sales brochure for the Aston Martin DB7.
- Petersens Special interest American Cars (1930-1960).
- Hemmings Special Interest Autos.
- Automobile Quarterly's World of Cars. Large format with lots of photos.
- Fred Wagner's Saga of The Roaring Road, about early auto racing. (Floyd Clymer, publisher).
- Reproduction of a hardcover 1909 book titled Automobile Driving Self-Taught.
- Chilton's More Miles-Per-Gallon Guide. Copyright 1974.

Help me save these from the landfill!

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2016, 02:57:16 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,156 Times in 912 Posts
Default Re: Auto Books and Service Manuals

I'll add a couple---
Compact Tractor Service manuals, Vol I 1st ed, Vol II 1st Ed, look like 1975 copyright. I nice, II some minor dampness page wrinkling but nothing serious.
Intertech Tech Pub Div, both PB, 8x11, 192 and 168 glossy pgs.
Send mailing adds, I mail Media Mail (low, slow, cheap), if you receive you mail me a check for mailing cost, I'm happy...
Properly wrapped, should go for 2lbs if my scale good , looks like under $4 mailing if my mail schedule up to date...
Old 07-07-2016, 04:47:50 PM
Registered-III

What??!!---almost 30 minutes passed and no stampede for my valuable almost free manuals??? I'm seriously disappointed...
Well, like on TV, I'll throw some more into the pot:
SUPERIOR DIESEL ENGINES MANUALS
6-45 manual for PTD 81/2 x 101/2 Rotary Drill Rig engine. Parts list covers 6 and 8 cyl.
Undated manual for same PTD 6cyl for 150KW Generator Sets, Vessels AVG 26 thru 29, contract # 86161
Undated manual Model GAB2 Bureau of Ships, Navy Type Diesel genset, 41/2 x 53/4, No. Cyl 2, Eng RPM 1200, Vessel Desig LCT, Contract No, NObs 11403.
All in Superior paperboard covers, 13/4 lbs for first and last, 21/2 lbs for middle manual...probably $6 mailing for the batch.
ELDEN: Assuming yours aren't already taken, we may have to repost as "Free etc"..., this not being the most avidly followed forum on the site...
Old 07-08-2016, 11:12:34 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elden DuRand View Post
Since nobody on Ebay wants to bid on these, I'll offer them to Stackers free for the shipping.

The books will fit into a USPS flat rate box which ships anywhere in the lower 48 for $18.75.

Here's what you get:
- Autopress Ltd. Workshop manual for the Rover 2000, 2000TC and 2000SC, 1963-72.
- Genuine factory workshop manual for the same cars as above. This is a thick book covering everything about the cars. Includes two supplements.
- Sales brochure for the Aston Martin DB7.
- Petersens Special interest American Cars (1930-1960).
- Hemmings Special Interest Autos.
- Automobile Quarterly's World of Cars. Large format with lots of photos.
- Fred Wagner's Saga of The Roaring Road, about early auto racing. (Floyd Clymer, publisher).
- Reproduction of a hardcover 1909 book titled Automobile Driving Self-Taught.
- Chilton's More Miles-Per-Gallon Guide. Copyright 1974.

Help me save these from the landfill!
I'm bumping this thread to try to move these items!

I will change the shipping to U.S.P.S. Media Mail, which is slower but cheaper. I will also ship on an honor basis. In other words, when you get the package, note the postage (should be around $5-6 or so) and mail it to the return address on the package.

It can't get any cheaper than that! C'mon guys!

Take care - Elden
Old 07-08-2016, 12:57:13 PM
Registered-III

Elden: (Sigh) I'll take it Media Mail if no one else has, will send email ack; I'm trying to downsize, but failing as often as succeeding...
NOTE: If anyone else offers, let them have it...
Old 07-08-2016, 05:12:56 PM
Subscriber

Bud:

If no other offers before Monday, I'll send the books to you.

Take care - Elden
Old 07-09-2016, 11:36:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,290 Times in 3,500 Posts

I'm kind of surprised those aren't selling on eBay, though I guess I've had some things I've had to list multiple times before they sold. Sometimes you lower the price and then people start bidding and you end up getting more than they would have gone with a single bid at the original start price.

Since you're BOTH on here and possibly sending from one to the other it would be interesting to hear how the Media Mail works out for you if you go that route.

I've gotten a few things, (old calendars and magazines) that were shipped media mail and have been stuck paying Postage Due when they arrived because the Post Office opens them and determines they don't qualify for media mail due to advertising (even though it's 50-100 year old advertising that you can't buy anything from)

I tried shipping a 69 MOTOR Manual media mail one time and the Postmaster raised a stink about it saying it's a Manual. I argued it's a BOOK just like the thousands of books in the library that are used for reference material but he said since it was a Manual that if it got opened there would be postage due at the other end so I bit the bullet and paid the difference out of my own pocket to avoid getting negative feedback out of it. Still made out OK though as I got $48.00 for the 'book' where I only got $7.50 for a 69 CHILTON manual I sold a couple weeks later using nearly identical listing with the different title and a few minor changes throughout the listing details.

I'm sure a LOT of stuff slips through using the media mail, but they can be real ass-holes about it sometimes.

Good luck with it.

For what you guys both have listed there the price is right even at the higher flat rate shipping so I doubt there would be any complaints. Just curious how it works out in the end with the shipping.

---------- Post added at 10:36:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26:39 AM ----------

You don't say what year the Aston Martin DB7 brochure is from, but a quick search on them shows several of them sold anywhere from $3.78 to $50.00 depending on the brochure and how it's listed.

No rhyme or reason sometimes as to what sells and what doesn't
Old 07-09-2016, 01:25:44 PM
Registered-III

Interesting---it appears Media Mail definitions, and possibly inspections, like Real Estate, might be local...
When PO switched from old Book Rate to Media Mail, I was advised repair manuals qualified as printed educational materials.
Individual or batches of standard consumer magazines---Delineator, Worlds Work, Pop Sci etc---didn't qualify due to advertising, no matter how old (in those days UPS bulk rate was much lower than USPO for magazines)...
However, hardbound issues of trade magazines or limited circulation/special interest magazines (printed for a limited, not general circulation, audience), with all original advertising, qualified as books per being professionally bound in book hardcovers...
On the few times asked what was in parcel, usually replied "repair manuals" or, if hardbound, "books", which may have begged the question...
Back when I was actively collecting/trading, received numerous comments re' items received and enjoyed, but not one comment re' being hit for addt'l postage
Perhaps you were unlucky, or I've been lucky, in effect playing the percentages...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Tierney For This Post:
Old 07-09-2016, 07:31:50 PM
Subscriber

Otto:

I listed those items as small groups in four listings. Put minimum bid prices just over shipping cost and included shipping. Only one lot sold, that being 1953 owner's manuals for Ford and Chevy plus a '54 Ford engine manual and another throw-in.

I barely made my shipping costs.

It'll be interesting to see what the late '30's and early '40's radio schematic books and the set of solid-state circuit books sell for (if they sell) when I put 'em on Ebay.

I've also got an original RCA book, published in the early 1950's, that documents the research and development that went into the NTSC color system and was used to defeat the CBS "color wheel" color TV system that was originally type accepted by the FCC.

Take care - Elden
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 07-10-2016, 10:06:25 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Tierney View Post
Elden: (Sigh) I'll take it Media Mail if no one else has, will send email ack; I'm trying to downsize, but failing as often as succeeding...
NOTE: If anyone else offers, let them have it...
Bud:

Your selection of valuable books will be going out to you via Media Mail (providing it passes P.O. inspection) later this week.

Enjoy!

Take care - Elden